How to build up one of my Nemesis Tricorder kits

stapleton13

First thing you need to do is remove the back panel, and locate the 2 white plastic pins, and the 2 brass pins.
1-1.jpg

You insert the brass pins into the hole on either side with the tapered end facing out. Push the pin in until you see the small slot on the inside.
32.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Next you can glue a white styrene pin into the outer hole with superglue. Be careful not to push the brass pin in too far.
6.jpg

Once the plastic is secured you can cut the excess off, and sand the plug flush. You also may need to apply a little filler to smooth it out.
7.jpg

From the inside if the body take a slotted screwdriver, and slide the pin inward so that it can no longer be seen from the slot the head goes into.
8.jpg

At this point you can prep to prime your parts.
9.jpg

After the primer dries you can sand, and paint the main parts. I use the same color that The phasers are painted. Plasticote 1004 equivalent. Also paint the recess in the scanner head black.
10.jpg

After painting you may need to fine tune the slots for the head so it will move freely. After you get everything to fit. Place the head into its slots, and using the slotted screwdriver again. Push the pin outward until it stops. Note that the fit will be snug between the pin and the hole in the head. This is where the electrical connection will be. Do not try to enlarge the pin holes in the head.
12.jpg

11-1.jpg

At this point you can put a small glob of solder to the brass pin. This will keep it from moving, and give you a place to attach your circuit in the future.
13.jpg

At this point you can remove the blue film off of the screen , and glue it into place. I then just place the graphic into the tricorder, and taped it in place with a cardboard backing. You can then paint, and attach the finishing parts. Note that the lense for the head may require a little sanding to fit. I attached mine with a little double sided tape so that it can be removed once we have electronics to install. You can also cut, and attach the self adhesive graphics to the body.

nemesistricorder02.jpg

nemesistricorder01.jpg

Awesome tutorial, and I must say that when my kit arrived I was floored, seriously top notch, and I live how to cast the connections and wires into the head piece, will save me tons of trouble lol

Myron,
i'd just like to ask you about your prime and paint regime.

What sort of primer are you using?
Do you know where there is some 1004 available online? (i've hunted high and low in the UK and the coding over here says it's Universal White)
Do you hard coat/lacquer the finished paint job?

I've got three of your kit's here waiting for paint and i'd love to get them done before the Star Trek London convention.

Thanks for your time,
Tim

Myron,

Do you know where there is some 1004 available online? (i've hunted high and low in the UK and the coding over here says it's Universal White)

I've got three of your kit's here waiting for paint and i'd love to get them done before the Star Trek London convention.

Thanks for your time,
Tim
I probably cant help much. I use custom mixed PPG Urethane paints. I also use PPG Urethane primer. I am sure Lacquer will work fine. I'm just used to using the high end stuff.

I'm a UK Trek fan too, and found that Halfords Vauxhall Silver Grey is a 99.9% perfect match for the paint our American friends use.
Best of luck with your build, I plan on picking up one of these kits in the next couple of weeks... need to bulk out my Tricorder collection. :lol

Myron,

Thanks for your time,
Tim

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back