Hellboy Reliquary (Pinky Bone?)

Servo

Sr Member
I'm working on my Hellboy display and I'm braining storming items that I can add to it. I have the Sideshow Samaritan and RHOD along with one of the 12" figures and a couple of polystone busts.

I thought about the reliquary HB gives Abe - a finger bone from St. Dionysius.

I started looking for antique glass vials, perfume vials and bottles, etc...

I figured I could use a chicken bone or sculpt the bone.

Does anyone know if the vial was a found object or made for the film?

Looks kind of like the top and bottom may be a found object like a snuff box or some such taken apart with an acrylic tube placed in between. Not sue if that helps at all.

Mike

I found a needle case at a craft store that lookes similar. Problem is I bought one with a red tube. I will try and get pics and the company name for you. They do make one with a clear tube as well.

Interesting... needle case? I'm going to have to keep looking. I couldn't find anything glass on ebay. Thanks for the info!

So, any other ideas of things to add to the display?

I scoured the screenshots I had of the thing and concluded that it's a made item. Glass tube is easy. The tops and the bottoms are, I believe, modified buttons. I have a bag of button hardware from simple to ornate that I collected from my local high-end cloth store, with an eye to making this one day. Haven't yet.

note the 'teeth' coming down from the top. They remind me of the little tabs on a stud button that hold it to the cloth that it's been clamped to. i think the 4 feet were brazed on.

As for the screenshots, don't get sucked in by the simplistic cg model from the underwater scenes.

One shot of the 4 pieces together is from the website of the company that made them.

This is my entire reference file on the thing. If someone does a run count me in.

I'm working on my Hellboy display and I'm braining storming items that I can add to it. I have the Sideshow Samaritan and RHOD along with one of the 12" figures and a couple of polystone busts.

I thought about the reliquary HB gives Abe - a finger bone from St. Dionysius.

I started looking for antique glass vials, perfume vials and bottles, etc...

I figured I could use a chicken bone or sculpt the bone.

Does anyone know if the vial was a found object or made for the film?

Adam,

I think you may be right about the button. I see the teeth now that you mention them. Thanks for the lead.

Off to the thrift stores and ebay to look for buttons!

That sure is a cool item. If you figure it out, you should consider a run. Set a price and don't let these girlscouts lowball you.

I believe the needle case I have is from Vintage Impressions. I am having a little trouble finding a pic however.

Interesting prop, but I don't really understand why someone would keep a bone "preserved(?)" in liquid (yes, I know it's a movie), you don't need to preserve bones that way. Unless it's to sort of cushion it and keep it from rattling so much inside the vial. :p

I've seen numerous reliquaries in the many museums and churches I've visited throughout Western Europe, and I don't recall any of the bones being in any liquid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been wanting to make one of these to keep in my Abes belt pouch fro ages but cant find anthing with those little engravings on at the right size. If anyone makes a run i would be in but until then...back to the button store :lol

Interesting prop, but I don't really understand why someone would keep a bone "preserved(?)" in liquid (yes, I know it's a movie), you don't need to preserve bones that way. Unless it's to sort of cushion it and keep it from rattling so much inside the vial. :p

I've seen numerous reliquaries in the many museums and churches I've visited throughout Western Europe, and I don't recall any of the bones being in any liquid.

Actually they really thought about it. Think about it, If the vial would only contain the bone the rest of it would be Air and if it was air the vial would raise to the surface when dropped. Now in the movie they have it filled with liquid and thats makes it drop to the bottom instead. :)

Actually they really thought about it. Think about it, If the vial would only contain the bone the rest of it would be Air and if it was air the vial would raise to the surface when dropped. Now in the movie they have it filled with liquid and thats makes it drop to the bottom instead. :)
Also, remember who it was given to. A fish guy who could probably swim deep. And we all know what happens to a container filled with air when going too deep - it may pop, whereas something filled with liquid will less likely break.

Or did I just overthink this?

Also, remember who it was given to. A fish guy who could probably swim deep. And we all know what happens to a container filled with air when going too deep - it may pop, whereas something filled with liquid will less likely break.

Or did I just overthink this?

And also....because it looks way cooler that way:lol

it was a scratch build. the tube is glass and the ends were modelled. they were white metal casts then gold plated and the bone was also scratch modelled and resin cast....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back