He-Man Power Sword Cartoon style

MTB

Sr Member
I just wanted to show everyone the latest project I have been working on. I wanted to make the Power Sword for a while now, I decided to make it like the one in the 80's cartoon. This the picture I based my build off of;

I started with a basic out line of the sword on that thin cardboard/wood sheet (sorry dont know exactly what its called)

After cutting out the outline I glued green floral foam blocks on to it.

Then cut out the basic shape

and yay! back to sanding, would have though I had enough of that with the Iron Man lol

after getting the correct shape I applied fiberglass resin to the foam then bondo over it, and once again more sanding!

Yes that is a pee pee pad in the pic, my daughter was being potty trained at that time =)

Here is a picture to show the size of the sword. That Iron man is about 5' 7 just to give a reference.

I still have more bondo work to do, My plan it to cast it out of plastic with a metal rod up the middle. The only problem is I dont have the funds to spend to make the mold. I have been looking around for cheaper methods of mold making, I came across this Easy, Illustrated Instructions on How to Make a Cheap Silicone Mold with Ordinary Silicone Caulk but not too sure if it would work out.

As always any suggestions/ideas are welcome!

Last edited:
With the amount of effort in that master, I would wait till I could afford to make a proper mold. There's nothing worse than mold problems that damage a master. Not that I think silicone caulk would do that, but better safe than sorry.

With the amount of effort in that master, I would wait till I could afford to make a proper mold. There's nothing worse than mold problems that damage a master. Not that I think silicone caulk would do that, but better safe than sorry.

This is true. I was wanting to get this finished in month, two max. Not sure if I can save enough in that time frame. Hopefully I can figure out something soon. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

A little update, I haven't had a lot of time to work on this but I more sanding done and on to the putty stage.
IMG_20130813_170056_394.jpg
IMG_20130813_170111_291.jpg

Thanks! Here it is after sanding the putty and some paint. Have a few more small things to fix then its time to cast it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376494797114.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376494797114.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 249
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished.

Thanks! If this comes out good Im thinking of doing a run on these.

Looks awesome. I always wondered whether to do the rounded corners spherical or flat. Your choice looks great.

Thanks! I started out with the spherical corners but I didnt like the way it was coming out so I stared over.

Here is another update,

IMG_20130822_162515_781.jpg

I wanted to cut down on the cost, so I got some of this spray foam to fill in some of the box.
IMG_20130822_153719_343.jpg

I saran warped the box first because I didn't know if the foam would stick to the wood, then put 2 cans worth in. After is drys ill even it out better. I got some modeling now so when I'm ready to pour the mold i have everything. I just have to finish touching up some small details on the sword then I'm ready to start the mold!

So I ran in to a little snag. I went to tap plastics to see how much it would cost to make the mold and again I found out that I just don't have enough money to continue with making the mold. Here is what I was looking at:

TAP Urethane RTV Mold-Making System : TAP Plastics in the 2 gallon size.

Also here is the stuff I was going to cast the sword out of:

TAP Quik-Cast &#8226 Polyurethane Casting Resin System : TAP Plastics.

After talking to the guy there, he thinks it would take more then two of the 2 gallon kits to make the mold and most likely one of the stuff to cast it. That would $600 for the mold and $140 for the other. That is just too much for me to spend on this. I really want to finish this but with that price tag I just cant afford it.

So I'm asking everyone for some help, is there cheaper products out there that I'm just not finding? What does everyone else use for making your molds? I would really appreciate any and all help with this, again I really want to finish this up.

Thanks!!

Re: Help Needed!! He-Man Power Sword Cartoon style

Bump for visibility. Surely someone can help you out. I really like what you've done so far!

Thank you for the bump! I actually got some great advice from MrPinski, I now have the everything to make the mold and the cast of the sword. With his help it was all under $200!! As soon as I get time to work on this I will post an update! Thanks again for the help!

Nice! That's a heck of a savings. Looking forward to your results!

My childhood self is squeeing with delight at this thread. My adult self is drooling at how beautiful that sculpt is. I can't wait to see it all molded and cast!

Nice! That's a heck of a savings. Looking forward to your results!

Yeah, very grateful for his help.

My childhood self is squeeing with delight at this thread. My adult self is drooling at how beautiful that sculpt is. I can't wait to see it all molded and cast!

Thanks!

this is too good hows it going

Thanks a lot! I'm just finishing up some of the fine details and will hopefully be able to mold and cast it next week. I will post pictures and updated when I do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Small update, I haven't had much time to work in this but i did get some time to work on it this week. Here is what i got done;

IMG_20130918_105544_760.jpg
Made the cut out and set the sword in it
IMG_20130918_140114_605.jpg
Built the dam and keys
IMG_20130918_150443_569.jpg
First layer of silicone
IMG_20130918_162035_965.jpg
Second layer of silicone
IMG_20130918_182221_112.jpg
Third layer of silicone.

I did one more layer but didn't take a picture of it. Tomorrow I will be picking up some plaster to make the outer shell. Hopefully before work tomorrow I can get the other half done.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back