Han Solo Bust. Resin to Silicone.

It's called honor among thieves.

Think of us as pirates on a boat together. Sure, we go and raid the LFL ship, and we plunder the Universal dock, and we board the WB boat and take whatever we want.

But on the boat together, we don't steal from eachother. When I go to sleep at night you don't sneak in and take measurements off my Obi ANH saber. And when Howard is swabing the deck you don't steal his Han Solo bust from his bunk and recast it in silicone.

Honor among thieves.

I think the only way to show recasters and recaster supporters how we really feel is to just stop selling people all the cool stuff. Leave them with only crappy licensed pieces and ebay junk as options.
Let them marvel at our awesome pieces like little kids at a department store window knowing they will never have that shiny toy.

Sound harsh? They have only themselves to blame.

Ha. My thread blew up into a big argument :) Well Im 15. Im not some reacasting scum thats gonna do anything wrong with this bust. I have no job. I got some christmas money and spent it. Now my opinion on recasting, Its not right. Its someones hard work. I would go ahead and buy a silicone han solo bust from howard, BUT I dont have that much money. I just bought this bust cus it was cool. Recasting is wrong but im just a kid who has no money, but a love for star wars and replica props. Thanks for you imputs. Everyone has there own opinion on everything, So lets not argue about recasting in ANOTHER thread.

Josh

Not sure , it's already been recast so I think your clear.
If I bought say a battle droid and wanted 10 of them , I would cast it for my own use. Considering I am paying for the materials and time. This isn't old news it's been going on in the art world forever , but the prop world is just catching up to it.
AgentofChaos , I would do whatever you want to with YOUR purchase . dafstartrooper , I have no words that describe how wrong that statement is to me , but in the sense of community and not wanting to get on a bad foot with anyone I will take the high road...LMAO
All i'm saying is that if it's for my personal use, there's not anyone in this world going to tell me what I can do or not do..period. I just have a different view of it , it's not wrong or right , but just different.
^^^ "How to Win Friends and Influence People" ^^^ :rolleyes:thumbsdown

FYI, statements like those will get you blacklisted & shunned on this site. I can guarantee there are artists here, who have already decided to NEVER do business with you, just because of your input in this thread.

Since you bought from him can you tell the admins or us who he is? Maybe if the admins know his name they can tie him to an account.

Last edited:
1.You got a good deal on a recast, so send Howard $50- or $100-

2.If you are into this hobby enough to wait for registration to open up, sign up and be a member, then you should put the same amount of effort into checking into items like this before you buy.

IMHO

I think the only way to show recasters and recaster supporters how we really feel is to just stop selling people all the cool stuff. Leave them with only crappy licensed pieces and ebay junk as options.
Let them marvel at our awesome pieces like little kids at a department store window knowing they will never have that shiny toy.

doesn´t sound harsh

I guess busts are different because it's a likeness of a person, but why isn't copying a movie prop a crime if copying a copy is?

LOL:lol:lol:lol It IS a crime--Im doing time in county jail for movie prop replication-- well kind of--those of you who know the story!!:lol:lol:lol IM cracking up here!!!!

Last edited:
Ha. My thread blew up into a big argument :) Well Im 15. Im not some reacasting scum thats gonna do anything wrong with this bust. I have no job. I got some christmas money and spent it. Now my opinion on recasting, Its not right. Its someones hard work. I would go ahead and buy a silicone han solo bust from howard, BUT I dont have that much money. I just bought this bust cus it was cool. Recasting is wrong but im just a kid who has no money, but a love for star wars and replica props. Thanks for you imputs. Everyone has there own opinion on everything, So lets not argue about recasting in ANOTHER thread.

Josh

This was all caused by a youngster who didnt know any better??--Slap his hands, take away his X-Boxfor a few days and make him play nice!:thumbsup

By 'crime' I mean frowned upon by the community. From an onlooker's point of view there seems to be a double standard.

Not that it concerns me either way, I'm not in the position to make or aquire anything substantial in the prop world anyhow. It's interesting though. It's kind of like the movie piracy debate.

Now my opinion on recasting, Its not right. Its someones hard work. I would go ahead and buy a silicone han solo bust from howard, BUT I dont have that much money. I just bought this bust cus it was cool. Recasting is wrong but im just a kid who has no money, but a love for star wars and replica props.
Josh

Josh - your single best option right now, from the RPF point of view, is to try to and have some dialog with Howard himself.

Good Luck. :thumbsup

BTW - Here's the "letter of the law" in case you've never seen it:

Selling/trading of recast items:
Deliberately recasting another member’s creation without permission is something this community does not support. A member found selling/trading items recast from another member without permission will face disciplinary action.

AgentofChaos get off ur sorry ass and sculpt it from scratch yourself and not use someone elses work to take the applause for you lazy user:angry

Does anyone recall who the guy he bought it from might be? The eBay seller is the real problem. AgentofChaos is just a kid that didn't know the rules (which isn't an excuse, I know) but if we could find out who the eBay sell is or who his suppler is, we can stop a lot of these busts from making their way into the world. I'd like to see the dealer shut down and we have his name.

I think the Code of Conduct should be updated to include knowingly purchasing recast items from non-members (I understand that in this case, he did not know beforehand).

Currently it just states that members shouldn't recast, or sell/distribute recast items.

Against those criteria, he hasn't done anything that is technically wrong, although his actions are highly frowned upon and should not be supported. Now that he knows, I also think he should contact Howard to try and make things right.

Also, I'm not sure you are supposed to be using an account that is not yours to make posts. If you aren't able to register on your own, then I recommend having your father post for you. The registration process states, "You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and agree not to authorize use of your account by another."

*edit:

I just reread the registration details for the first time in eight years. Looks like almost everyone here has violated 6a) and 6b).

Last edited:
I think the Code of Conduct should be updated to include knowingly purchasing recast items from non-members (I understand that in this case, he did not know beforehand).

Do tell, how would this be enforced?

This is akin to not letting people smoke in their own homes.

Threads like this make the RPF stance on re-casting very clear. The self-appointed re-cast police never sleep and they are always on it.

Some "rules" are best left unwritten.

Well said.

If you want a Silicone one ask Howard to make you one. Either that or sculpt your own. When you try the sculpting route you will appreciate the talent these people have and why its such a slap in the face when their hard work gets recast.

Anyone can pour silicone over a finished piece but only a few can, and do make these pieces to begin with. It would be terrible if they stopped making them simply because people want to save a few $ and rip off their work.

I'm already there... last few times I was recast no one seemed to care, this time it seems that some around are understanding the effect this is having on the hobby. Anyone notice how much JRX is being bootlegged too? This resin recasting business is so out of hand! And supporting it is just as big...

I love this idea... glad I have work in private commissions more often these days and toy companies, feels good not selling openly on forums and ebay as much. Just recently I sold a Joker cast to a fellow member, he sold it to a guy who is an open recaster in Singapore! It doesn't even matter if you know who is buying it, it can be resold just as fast. If us artists don't want it bootlegged we have to just stop selling it... period!

From here on out I plan on sticking with silicone works.

H

www.howardsstudios.com

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back