Halo 3: ODST- Buck's Bowie Knife

juliet76

Hey all. Thought it was about time I got around to posting about a build I recently finished- Nathan Fillion's character Buck's bowie knife from Halo 3: ODST.

I was a bit of a regular over on the 405th where I've drawn up blueprints of a few Halo weapons over the years. I've always been a fan of the UNSCDF knives and have a particular fondness for Sgt. Forge's Tanto and Gy Sgt. Buck's bowie. These knives took down an Arbiter and Brute Chieftan before players even had the option of using knives in game and that made them really stick out for me.

Anyway I drew up Buck's bowie about two years ago as it was the easiest to get reasonable screenshots of-

104534450-Full.jpg

BBCS04.jpg

And here are some snazzy updated versions of the blueprints I drew-

BucksBowieHalo3ODST.gif

BucksSheathHalo3ODST.gif

Pretty much straight after I drew up the blueprint I intended to start a build out of MDF, so I drew up the blade-

DSCF1354.jpg

Annnnd, that's all I did on this project until about seven months ago, when I decided to get off my lazy arse and finish it.

First up I wanted to do a test of milling the fuller using a bull nose router bit-

IMAG0735.jpg

If you look closely on the above image you'll notice I failed to seat the test piece in my vice properly, the left is ****** a little high resulting in a tapered cut of varying depth-

IMAG0736.jpg

A mistake I did not repeat when doing the blade itself-

IMAG0737.jpg

I must admit even looking back at this image I'm pretty happy with how neat and accurate the fuller came out on both sides of the blade. Using my small hobby mill gave me so much control and accuracy when doing the cuts.

After that I cut the blade out using the scroll saw.

IMAG0738.jpg

Then I shaped the edge of the blade using files, sand paper, and scrapers to get the edge just the right shape-

IMAG0740.jpg

IMAG0739.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

After that it was a matter of sealing all that exposed porus MDF-

IMAG0742.jpg

And then an over night stay in my dodgy spray booth-

IMAG0743.jpg

And that was the blade pretty much done at that point.

IMAG0744.jpg

Hope my thread's not too boring. I'll try to get the next post up sooner rather than later. ;)

Hurry up then. I've got nothing going on.

Patience is a virtue red4. ;)

So it was at this point I did a little more fine tuning on the blade.

IMAG0886.jpg

IMAG0887.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

IMAG0905.jpg

Next I drew up the guard also in 6mm MDF-

IMAG0745.jpg

and I also drew and cut out the pommel from 6mm MDF and 7mm plyboard to get the correct thickness-

IMAG0881.jpg

IMAG0882.jpg

I pretty much got everything going on at the same time here so I also cut out 5x 6mm handles with the intention of gutting the centre one for the blades tang to travel through-

IMAG0884.jpg

IMAG0883.jpg

IMAG0885.jpg

Next up I got started on the guard as it had the least amount of work required. I drilled out most of the area for the blade's tang-

IMAG0909.jpg

Then filed it to shape-

IMAG0910.jpg

After some triming on the scroll saw and shaping on the linisher the guard was pretty much done-

IMAG0911.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

More soon. And by soon I mean the next day or so. :p

I built an MDF knife recently doing almost the exact same steps.

Used super glue to seal the filed MDF knife edge. Nice and sturdy now.

Fun stuff.

150E6FDD-6CC7-4AAA-A518-5B183FE54B86-26398-0000061D811EEF60.jpg:original

I built an MDF knife recently doing almost the exact same steps.

Used super glue to seal the filed MDF knife edge. Nice and sturdy now.

Fun stuff.

Looks great Nick. What's that you're working on there?

I'd definately recommend checking out some form of sanding sealer after using it on MDF for a couple of different projects now. It seals the porus exposed edges of the MDF and helps to re-enforce the material like you described, but I'd assume it's easier to apply evenly than superglue and probably works out cheaper per ml.

By next day or so, turns out I mean next week or so. Sorry folks.

Next up I got into the pommel, drilling out most of the material where the tang fit-

IMAG0914.jpg

IMAG0916.jpg

After a bit of filing a test fit-

IMAG0917.jpg

IMAG0918.jpg

Then a bit of sealer on it and the guard-

IMAG0923.jpg

My original intention with the handle had been to put real pins in it as my drawing indicates with the holes in the tang-

IMAG0919.jpg

But it didn't take long for that idea to wear off, so I gutted the handle layer that I'd drilled allowing for the tang to fit through-

IMAG0920.jpg

I had also considered that if I were to mold & cast it I'd do it all as seperate pieces, but that idea wore off pretty quick too and I opted for it all to be one piece when it was done. So I glued the handle together rather than make it two pieces-

IMAG0921.jpg

After a bunch of sanding and filing the handle was coming together. I decided to use a hole punch to indent the MDF to give the impression of the pins-

IMAG0924.jpg

Some sealer on the handle and the back of the pommel-

IMAG0925.jpg

Then with it all put together-

IMAG0926.jpg

IMAG0927.jpg

IMAG0928.jpg

And EXPLODED!

IMAG0930.jpg

I then needed to tidy up the "pins". I used sealer to build up the areas (this is just one drop on each pin)-

IMAG0931.jpg

IMAG0936.jpg

IMAG0937.jpg

After I took these pictures I then carefully filed them down to match the handle.

And that was the knife pretty much done. Next up was the sheath.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back