Green Lantern Power Battery WIP

GBrittelleJr

Not much to show, but here's my WIP on the power battery. Unending thanks go to fellow member RunRunner for his guidance. It'll be getting a reflective green paint job and will light up. The only dilemma is lighting it up; I want it to be bright. SUPER-BLINDING-IN-THE-DAYLIGHT bright.... Ok. Maybe not that bright. But at least bright enough to see in a normally lit room. If anyone of you prop gurus knows how I could get that kind of lighting in an 8" acrylic globe, I'd be most in your debt.

And now, without further adieu, here are my pics. They were taken after preliminary priming and before I attached the handle.

0574ed64.jpg

And the design on the top

7bfd165f.jpg

I've since bondo'd and sanded smooth that ugly seam line. So thoughts? Tips? Bueller?

Greg

Last edited:
and now....................you have to tell us how it was made.............

.................yea...gonna need that

Haha fair enough. It's an 8" acrylic globe found in the lighting department at home depot. The two ports on the sides are cereal bowls. The top and bottom bits are 3" PVC couplings with more acrylic bowls cut to fit. And finally the whole thing was held together with E6000 and Weld-On plastic welder. The groove was carved using a round cutting bit on my dremel.

The handle will be a 12" brass ring. I've since mounted two PVC bolt covers that one would put on the base of a toilet, and drilled out mounting holes. The brass ring was bent at each end at an angle, and JB welded to a 1" washer inside.

I have had a similar idea to make one out of most of those materials. Plastic globe, two cereal bowls, but I was going to use different pvc couplers on top and bottom.

But I didn't trust my hand/eye coordination to use a dremel to make the groove.

I just took my time drawing out the line in pencil first, triple checking my measurements before tracing in thin sharpie and finally using a flex shaft at the lowest setting

awesome battery. at first i thought it was a mold of one of those giant tennis balls the size of a basketball with bowls and light fixtures glued to it. haha, i was close >_> this will go great with the ring im making. and also, may i ask how did u get the green lantern emblem so precise? my measurements are always retarded when i try to do stuff like that

Superbright green LEDs should work a treat with this - There's LOADS of room in there for enough of them to blind anyone looking at the thing :)
And, obviously, batteries.

You could also pick up a Wolf Eyes or Surefire type gunlight and mod that, with a green filter.
I reckon LEDs'd be a better shout though.

awsome lantern!! can't wait to see it painted and lit up. I need to start on one of these too. You should do some lanterns from the different corps too.

Absolutely awesome! I love the parts you're using. They're in great proportion to each other. Hard to believe that line you dremeled - it looks perfect. My hands are too shaky anymore to do that.

I've always wanted to rebuild mine which was built for a hardware props contest a few years back, with a spending cap. May have to steal, er um borrow, some of your ideas.

Jim

Thanks so much, guys. This is way more complimentation (it's a word, shut up) than I expected.

RunRunner- I wouldn't have been able to do this without your guidance!

iarefook- I know this sounds silly, but I just drew a square of the right height and width on graph paper, then using a straight edge drew all the straight lines, and finally used a roll of electrical tape that happened to be the right size and traced that for the ring in the center. I then transfered the drawing by turning the paper (graphite side ontot he styrene) over and re-drawing the design, effectivly transferring the design onto the styrene. Traced in sharpie, and cut using botha dremel and a blade a few mm from my lines, and sanded and filed smooth.

CSMaLaren- The handle is on now, just haven't taken pics yet.

Scapegoat- Ultra Bright LEDs were where I was heading, it's just becomming difficult to find any that produce enough lumens at a decent price. I want to put around 30 on each side, but depending on what I can find and the cost, we shall see what the end result will be.

Grundy- I want to eventually make all the batteries, as well as an Alan Scott, Kyle Rayner, John Stuwart, Guy Gardner, and Abin Sur. Hahaha but that's a **** ton of work, and I'm lazy. But I definately want all the corps!

Thanks so much again, guys! I'll try to post new pics tonight, and answer any questions
!!

Greg

This is really nice. I thought about making one about 5 years ago to go with my Guy Gardner costume, but the only thing I could come up with was using a 4" PVC T-connector. I ended up not doing it, but this looks great! For the blinding light, I would just gut one of those multi-LED flashlights and put a green gel over the lens.

**Edit**

Just read your reply. 30 LEDs? Holy ****.

Huge Green Lantern fan myself. That Power Battery looks amazing. :eek

BTW How much are you looking forward to the film...sorry...movie?

Perhaps you can find a pre-wired green traffic light insert. They're plenty bright in daylight, and are made in the thousands. Should be fairly easy to find one of the companies that make them.

i see. well it turned out really nice, im sure ur pleased with the final product of the emblem. kudos on that, hope to see more pics soon of the progress of ur project!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back