Grappling Hook Build

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
When I was a kid in the 80s every cool action figure came with one critical accessory – a grappling hook. Even today, characters for whom "grappling" seems a bit out of character (there was once a Barbie that shipped with a grappling hook) often ship with one.

When I was growing up I REEEEEEALLY wanted a grappling hook. It was one of my first prop builds when I was about 7 years old. It consisted of 6-inch long nails I found in my dad's workroom. I bent them into a hook with a hammer and vice and bound them together with duct tape. A little clothes line and I was set. I proceeded into the garage and practiced my skills on the rafters overhead. With some persistance I managed to get it hooked tight. What to do next but attempt a speedy ascension. I got about halfway up before the loose boards that my grappling hook had hooked on decided that they were not going to stay in one place. The load of lumber dislodged from the rafters and allowed me a faster than anticipated descension. As I lay flat on my back, my precious grappling hook in pieces and lumber laying around my aching body, I realized for the first time that I was not in fact, Batman.

Fast forward to today. I still REEEEEEALLY wanted a grappling hook. There's surprising few actual grappling hooks available to buy. There are a couple cool ones but they get close to $200 pretty quick.

I built this one out of found items and 1/8" steel for the blades. It's spring-loaded with retracting blades. Its heft is really satisfying. I have no plans to try to ascend a damn thing with it. But it looks wicked hanging on my shop wall.

Attachments

• gh1.jpg
    gh1.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 468
  • gh2.jpg
    gh2.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 335
  • gh3.jpg
    gh3.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 216
awesome but you know you really should test its load bearing by attaching a couple of sand bags just "to check" then build an air cannon to launch it MWUAAHAAAHAA :lol

Very cool build!

I think everyone's childhood had a "You know, I'm not Batman" moment :lol

Mine was when my grappling hook (cunningly made of 2 screwdrivers taped and tied together) completely failed while wrapping around a tree limb and proceeded to bounce hilt first off my forehead. Pretty much fate/providence/god/chance are ll great reasons why I'm still alive and have both eyes.

That being said, I'd love to see some WIP pics if you have em. A snap out grapple has been on my OH SWEET GOD list since I saw The Pink Panther as a wee lad.

Chris

No build pics (it was a quick build) but I can clue you in on some parts. Honestly, the ah-ha moment was looking at a cheap ($40) snare drum stand at a music store. I wanted something existing to serve as the "hub" for the three blades. The top piece of the snare stand was perfect. I simply hacked the top off the stand. This is the body for the grapple. The blades were hand cut from 1/8 sheet steel. Easier than it sounds. The bottom piece is a coupling piece for electrical conduit from the hardware store. Then a D-ring, a spring. It all came together quite quickly. I'm still looking to add a mechanism to latch it in the closed position and have it snap open with a button.

Attachments

• 4606_BSK_lg1.jpg
    4606_BSK_lg1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 34971021.jpg
    34971021.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 80
  • ul6_galvanized_electrical_rigid_steel_conduit_coupling.jpg
    ul6_galvanized_electrical_rigid_steel_conduit_coupling.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 82
Grappling hooks are cool, but I had always wanted one of those safety belts they used on Emergency! for rappelling down the side of mountains.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back