GONK

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey folks, I've been meaning to do this project for a while. I wanted a droid, but can't really afford to build R2. Plus, I've always loved the concept of the Gonk. I wanted a smallish Gonk because I don't have much room. I built this out of two Rubbermaid 4-gallon containers, so this is more of a half-size Gonk. He stands about 24-inches tall. He's small but still feels full-scale, as opposed to a model of a Gonk. This was important to me. I wanted him to feel "life-size."

I wanted to build a bit of "plausible use" into him. I know Gonks are essentially walking batteries. I postulated that he would need a number of powered connections for machinery, ships, etc. to hook into. So there are a number of powered "ports" on him that various connectors would attach.

I also wanted him to be "powered". So there is a single LED inside each power port (perhaps signaling port status). He also has a muti color blinking center "eye" and a lit main power button. All the led lighting effects were created with a simple batter-operated LED holiday light set from Target. I just added a push button switch from Radio Shack to the front to turn it on and off.

Philips 18ct. Battery Operated Multicolor Twinkl... : Target led light holiday

The rest of him is greebled up with various things I found in my shop and at the American Science and Surplus store.

His feet are cut from wood and greebled to look legitimately "hydraulic".

I wanted a color-scheme reminiscent of the classic Kenner action figure.

I didn't keep exact track of the budget, but I can safely say i spent under $80 total. I'm really satisfied with him.

Last edited:
Valor, this is fantastic work man. I am a HUGE fan of the Gonk! It looks really great, and I love what you have done for the price. I too had started one out of two Rubbermaids, and I have a couple questions for you:

How did you attach the legs at the base? Do you have any pictures, or could you take a couple. I struggled with stability on mine, and would like to redo it and get it stable.

I see that you used screws, bolts, etc, but did you glue anything to the Rubbermaid? If so I would love to know what type of adhesive you used that worked with that material.

And finally, do you happen to have any shots of the inside or build progress? Just curious, would love to see how that all laid out.

Again, cool build man, congrats on this little guy!

I love that, looks fantastic. Makes me wish I could build one and hide a battery inside and some USB ports somewhere so I could actually charge my stuff off it :D

I love that, looks fantastic. Makes me wish I could build one and hide a battery inside and some USB ports somewhere so I could actually charge my stuff off it :D

That ... is exactly where I'm heading with this :)

Thanks for the compliments guys. Regarding the structure and leg attachment. Here's a diagram that shows it best. Essentially I sandwiched the bottom of the tub between two pieces of board. One inside the bottom, a thinner one outside. Then a short 2x3 was screwed to the bottom for legs. It's ridiculously sturdy.

Regarding a glue that would stick to the Rubbermaid tub. I really struck out. I couldn't find an adhesive that would stick well. Superglue failed big time. Not sure what Rubbermade makes these out of. I screwed everything on.

Awesome.

I keep looking at the tubs at work (Target) and want to build one.
They sell dark grey tubs that wouldn't need to be painted accept for the detailing.

Orchard Supply Hardware still sells the correct tubs for the yellow hanger deck droids from Ep 1.

Regarding a glue that would stick to the Rubbermaid tub. I really struck out. I couldn't find an adhesive that would stick well. Superglue failed big time. Not sure what Rubbermade makes these out of. I screwed everything on.

Most of these things are made from PP or PE, sort of plastic with a wax-like surface, so nothing really stick on it, even glue, paint, or food.

That the reason why it is used for household and kitchen items...

Very cool! That's one of the best ones I've seen yet!

Awesome.

I keep looking at the tubs at work (Target) and want to build one.
They sell dark grey tubs that wouldn't need to be painted accept for the detailing.

Orchard Supply Hardware still sells the correct tubs for the yellow hanger deck droids from Ep 1.

Same here. Any time I see tubs I think somehow those could be Gonk. :lol

I've had one of those tubs for the scrubber droids since 99 and haven't done anything with it yet beyond getting a few parts...

Awesome! everybody's making r2d2's but not too many people making any of the other iconic droids in the star wars universe. Stellar job!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back