Farscape Peacekeeper laser knife

p00k1333

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Although the Peacekeeper laser knife was only briefly used in three scenes (that I know of) in the whole series, it seems to be one of those props fans latch onto. Actually used as a small gun, 'laser knife' was it's pre-production name, and it was never officially named.

Working from a pre-production sketch and a few screen caps, I created drawings of both sides, having to "make-up" only one section that was never shown. The small round divot on the right side is the location of a red LED on the original prop, which apparently only functioned in the weapon's first appearance. The small notch on the left side seems to be where the wires exited to be attached to a power source for the LED, as the prop is only .75 inch (1.9 cm) thick. Also, in all the screen caps I took, I found no evidence for the notch in the edge shown on the pre-production sketch, that most other fan-made versions have. The overall size is sheer guesswork, arrived at by printing several, cutting them out, and comparing them in my hand to the pic of D'Argo's.

Needing a medium I could carve easily, I decided to begin with a solid block of body filler. I mixed up a batch and quickly scooped it into a rough mold placed on a scrap of plywood. I ran a rotary sander on the wood next to the mold, attempting to vibrate the mold and cause the bubbles to rise and pop. The technique was only slightly successful.

The body filler chunk after sanding to the rough shape. I still had lots of bubbles left. I filled them in with another light smear of filler and transferred the design.

I made a nice solid box and poured a two-part block mold. After separating, I cut an air channel and a sprue. My first cast shows that my sprue wasn't large enough and allowed the resin to block the hole before I finished the pour.

I enlarged the sprue, and the second cast turned out fine. A little clean up, and it'll be ready to fill the bad guys with "little yellow bolts of light!"

great job on the laser knife!! and please note that Rigel is pointing the grip at you. he's gonna shoot his leg or the roof lol

Had a few crappy casts, but I think I figured out what I was doing wrong. I sent this pic to my nephew, and with a maniacal grin said,

"Hahahaha! World domination!"

"But your soldiers won't know how to hold the weapon."

"Why, you insolent little . . . "

I'd have shown him, but . . . I didn't know . . . how to hold . . . the weapon. :confused
(Just kidding, he's gonna get it tomorrow!)

I have a few cast with small bubbles here and there. Probably acceptable. I tried polishing a couple to see what that looked like. I like the gloss, but the embedded powder from the mold sorta messes up the whole black look. They'll probably have to be painted. I'll try to do a couple with mold release and no powder and see what that yields.

I messed up the resin mix on one, and although it hardened, it left a marble-type texture. Really cool looking polished up though. I'll post a pic tomorrow (it's at work).

Still trying to figure out a price and shipping and the whole Junkyard posting thing.

Looks good. I'm actually in the process of re-watching the series now. I think this knife is one of the few things I don't have that I'd really like to add to my collection.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back