Ebony & Ivory - PotC compass build-up

Pulseriflefan

Hi,

I just got a nice big ebony block in the mail and want to share the build-up of my Sparrow compass here - enjoy :)

attachment.php

It`s very great to work with Ebony - fantastic wood - very very hard wood. My workshop was filled over and over with little black debris :lol

attachment.php

After some work with saw and mill it looked a bit more familar : my new ASHTRAY :lol

attachment.php

The colour of the wood is more black as you see on the images - under normal light condition.

...to be continued.... milling the inlay lanes now....

So I presume you are making this as it would have been made in the real world? Looks great so far. Very interesting project!

Yes, this should be a plastic-free prop made out of wood and brass.

Thought of mammuth ivory before but guess it is too fragil - so I will go with Elforyn which is up to 89% equal to real ivory.

I badly need a loud "clack" when I close the compass with speed :lol

marking all inlay lanes with a white pencil before milling

attachment.php

all lanes milled out - the upper lanes around the body were a bit tricky cus these are stepped transmissions as on the real deal (you can see this where the inlays are missing at Jacks compass).

attachment.php

another shot of the stepped tramsmissions

attachment.php

now a lot of puzzle-work with Elforyn is following :wacko

i am jealous. very cool project. I have converted several plastic toys and have the MR, but this is looking to be a real gem.

Agreed. I am absolutely jealous! Such straight lines! I've made a couple of my own wooden ones but this is putting those to shame. Very well done! I need a mill...or a cnc...why can't I have a money tree in my back yard?

well, no money tree around me for miles too I`m afraid :cry
but this project is one of the cheaper ones - not much material only a bunch of time-eating handwork.

Actually my "milling machine" is a 10 years old simple tool :

attachment.php

Just a stand, motor and cross-table - not really high-end.
The biggest job for this little beast was my upper and lower Thompson made from alu for the PR.

I know I know - I am sluttish - but hey, all what count is the project itself :lol

Here are my prop rules :

#1 Recycling rules - never throw anything away - your wife will love this

#2 Start new projects as many as you can without finishing and you`ll never get boring

#3 Keep your workshop clean and tidy

sample for rule #3

attachment.php

back to the root now :lol

after cutting the Elforyn plates into little stripes the puzzle begins - I recommand superglue for Elforyn.

attachment.php

I milled a tiny step into the upper stripes which is matching the stepped transmisson of the compass body

attachment.php

DON'T try to do this if you are a person without a load of patience !

and yes, the "overhanging" material of the stripes will be trimmed later...

The hard part is gonna be when you have to "funk it up" and weather it and put huge gashes in inlay -- or are you looking to make this one look more pristine?

By the way, I love your RULE #3 and the accompanying photo. :)

I think I will leave it in pristine condition - if I ever get good detailed info of a real hero compass I will do another one which should be look like one
egg to another but this one here will be still an eye-balled prop.

Well, who knows anything about dimensions....I am currently working only with a handful of images and there are a bunch of things I dunno.

lower inlays glued in place

attachment.php

it still looks like an ugly piece of wood with some too fat white/yellow bordering.

attachment.php

attachment.php

next step on the plan is the inner Elforyn ring - so I can start with the little triangle inlays on top of the compass body.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back