Death Star door control panel

Screen caps attached.

-MJ

That first pic is great for showing the profile! Thanks!

Anyone care to pull down some caps of when R2 and 3po are hiding in the hangar area? I have some tucked away somewhere, but they are 720 not 1080. The walls behind them have some great opportunities for detail.

Doug

9259-sample.jpg

Hot off the press, a very quick and inaccurate proof of concept sample.
Need to have more and deeper lines on the lens. Need to have the bezel lower. Not worth going any more into it untill a diameter can be figured out. :)

If we knew the acurate (or even got close) to the size this would be SO simple for Shapeways to make....in steel AND glass.
I'd do it but I've got to much going right now...and should be out in the shop working so, cyas :)

What's Shapeways?

One thing I was thinking, was that people at conventions are starting to build sets and walls behind their booths to show off their costumes. It would be nice to offer up a pre made Death Star type and other type panels. Also the small round Obi-wan house or Luke's garage type controls would be cool in lightweight modular form.

What's Shapeways?

One thing I was thinking, was that people at conventions are starting to build sets and walls behind their booths to show off their costumes. It would be nice to offer up a pre made Death Star type and other type panels. Also the small round Obi-wan house or Luke's garage type controls would be cool in lightweight modular form.

Great minds... :thumbsup

Doug

Watching this very close. I built a set of doors for our squad there not accurate but very nice \. And somthing like this would help set it off.

Henry

Slow but I will finish on the deadline you give me.

What's Shapeways?

:eek
Oh you are SO in for a treat now...

A You Tube of one of the processes: Shapeways 3D Metal Printing - YouTube

Thier web site, go look at some of the things people are making...then think "Props & Replicas"...

Shapeways

They can "print" in a whole range of materials too: Plastic, carbon, ceramics and even stainless steel! AND it's very inexpensive, you don't pay for the work time, only the materials used. AND they're fast, 10 days from reciept of the 3D file and payment, it's in your hands.

This is the closest I've found to date. I've only got two red ones, which came from a radio station I used to work at.

lights.jpg

The bezel is clearly too chunky, but I like the shape of the lens (which is 35mm diameter). The bulb housing is stamped 'Made in England' and 'Crabtree' but that's all I've got to go on..

SW's set decoraator Roger Christian would be the guy to ask about these, if anyone has his contact info?

Last edited:
Lens looks spot on, concentric circles n' all. Just the wrong bezel as you said.

This is the closest I've found to date. I've only got two red ones, which came from a radio station I used to work at.

lights.jpg

The bezel is clearly too chunky, but I like the shape of the lens (which is 35mm diameter). The bulb housing is stamped 'Made in England' and 'Crabtree' but that's all I've got to go on..

SW's set decoraator Roger Christian would be the guy to ask about these, if anyone has his contact info?

Is there anyone here who can get screen grabs off the recent bluray? I'd really like to get as many grabs as possible to try to nail down the size. I've been able to track down a variety of possibles but I really need to nail down the size to be sure. Anyone able to do this?

Doug

I don't have a bluray reader unfortunately, but here's a cap I found somewhere that shows the light's shape pretty well. :thumbsup

ANH1080p.png

-Carson

I never noticed what looks like an undercut on the bezels before. It could just be the lighting that makes them look that way? Anyone want to hit the blueray to get a better grab of this?

Doug

I never noticed it before. Very nice find deadbolt.

I've always wanted these as well and have drawings to master them in aluminum for casting and vacmetalizing. But this will certainly nail down the profile, and that undercut I hadn't been aware of either.

I only know how to do blu ray captures on my mac and it's dead unfortunately, so I just took a photo of the still frame, files linked below.

Aren't the things they are mounted on slide viewers? Or is that something I heard? Have they ever been identified? That would certainly help nail down the size.

http://rebelscum.com/2011/left-view.jpg

http://rebelscum.com/2011/right-view.jpg (now linked)

Looking at this now, I'm not sure there's an undercut, but rather the light wasn't seated all the way down to the bezel, making it look like an undercut.

Last edited:
There's a company in the UK in Essex that provided truckloads of parts for all six star wars films. They are a scrap merchant that deals in mostly ex military stuff ie tanks planes etc. Mostly interior stuff like control panels etc. I've spoken with the owner a few times. He could probably I'd a lot of stuff if ya send him pix. He has a website. I'll try and dig out the details for ya.

Simon.

There's a company in the UK in Essex that provided truckloads of parts for all six star wars films. They are a scrap merchant that deals in mostly ex military stuff ie tanks planes etc. Mostly interior stuff like control panels etc. I've spoken with the owner a few times. He could probably I'd a lot of stuff if ya send him pix. He has a website. I'll try and dig out the details for ya.

Simon.

Sounds interesting! Please do follow up with anything you can.

Doug

This peaked my interest so I did a few google searches. Check out this link:
Panel Lampholders with Lens

HH

Yeah, we explored that route (industrial indicators, etc.) but didn't find any over 33mm (a hair over an inch) in diameter. I'm guessing military specs for larger ones.

I have combed the internet (off and on for over a year) using any and all terms for these and have come close but not quite there. I think the key is to nail down the size at this point.

Anyway, thanks for the effort and if you get lucky please let us know.

Doug

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back