Davy Jones' Pipe- PAINT, LIGHTS, BASE!! DONE! WHOO!

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been going a little Scout Blaster blind, so I've been looking for a distraction. While browsing at Boarders, I came across a Visual Dictionary for the POTC trilogy! Not being one to pass up pretty pictures, I grabbed a cup of coffee, a few more books, a sat down. While I wasn't looking for anything particular, and haven't watched the films in a while, I was struck by how cool Davy Jones' pipe looked. It's design gave me a barrage of possible backstory imagary, as it carries several of the crab motifes that flow through Jones' and Tia Dalma's other props. So I picked the book up for a cool 20 bucks, and started to think about how I might want to start sculpting the pipe. The book also has a great cutaway of the Black Pearl, and some nice, up close pics of Sao Fang's chart, if I'm ever that ballsy to build it.

So, I started on Monday night with just the bowl, which is a wild looking combo of barnacle, driftwood, and rosebud. I can only imagine what it may have looked like before its owner's corruption.
djpipebowlleftod0.jpg
djpipebowlrearor9.jpg

Once it went together, I cast into some OMMOO, so that I could sculpt on the crab legs around the bowl wihtout dinging or fingerprinting it. The cast came out clean, and is easy to hold onto while sculpting. Today, I sat down between casting Singlepoint Scopes and worked on the grasping crab legs. Once done, I'll cast this again so I can do the bottom 'crab shell' which should be fun, and since no reference exists, I'll get to play. I'm thinking about doing the Calypso face that we see on the lockets, Chest, and even on the deck of the Dutchman.

djpipeclawsleftyw5.jpg
djpipeclawsfrontkh6.jpg

djpipeclawrightfr4.jpg

Hope you like this, even though the clay's nasty looking and the sculpt looks very dirty.
I'm really looking forward to painting, as the sutble coppertones, and red tipped claws should be a real blasty blast!

A big thanks to Darth Cross who passed along great reference photos from the previous threads.

Last edited:
Re: POTC Davy Jones' pipe sculpt and buildup . . .

is there any way to make an actual, smokable pipe out of one of these? I know almost all pipes are made from meerchaum or briar wood... with the exception of the glass pipes.I smoke a pipe, and have really wanted a replica of davy jones pipe that i could actually smoke, but im unsure if there would be a way to make one without carving it out of a chunk of briar wood, which would be damn near impossible

is there any way to make an actual, smokable pipe out of one of these? I know almost all pipes are made from meerchaum or briar wood... with the exception of the glass pipes.I smoke a pipe, and have really wanted a replica of davy jones pipe that i could actually smoke, but im unsure if there would be a way to make one without carving it out of a chunk of briar wood, which would be damn near impossible

Clay ?

ive seen several clay pipes before, but they were all very very brittle and wouldnt hold up for more than a few smokes, ive seen some carve your own pipe kits online, which looks like it might be the only way possible, but they all come pre drilled with the bowl already, which dosent look like it would work with the positioning of this pipe

as for acrylic, ive never seen an acrylic pipe, but would assume that they would just melt or release all kinds of bad chemicals when youve got it burning, as the briar pipes ive got can get incredibly hot, sometimes to hot to touch

sorry to derail.

I'd been thinking hard about this too. I can tell you, it's the basic shape of a . .and again, I'm a cigar man, so don't hate me for this . . . of a Shelock Holmes pipe.

Any build your own on that type? I may be able to creat a sleeve of some kind?

Rhett,

That is looking awesome. That will be a great compliment piece to the Flying Dutchman. Can't wait to see more.

Scott

I'd been thinking hard about this too. I can tell you, it's the basic shape of a . .and again, I'm a cigar man, so don't hate me for this . . . of a Shelock Holmes pipe.

Any build your own on that type? I may be able to creat a sleeve of some kind?

there are several different shapes to choose from, but this site has the best selection to choose from, with the bottom solid block looking to be the closest, but the bowls all seem to be drilled in at the wrong angle, at least to me. and i dont think a sleeve would be possible due to the fact that pipes expand and contract when they get hot.

im fairly certain the original pipe was rigged to smoke, not actualy BE smoked.

Ughh, tahat opens up a whole new can o' worms!!
any ideas out there?
I've got the whole bowl in silicone today, and once it's out, I'll get the stem and bottom plate for the bowl, and then its' done! Should be amusing!

Looking great so far - I love that pipe design. Hmm - was the prop ever physically built? Or is the photo you are using as reference a CG creation? When watching the film I have to constantly remind myself that Davey Jones isn't real! He just looks so darn good (well, in the 2nd film anyway - watching him slink around in the 3rd film was heartbreaking).
As far as making a working pipe - my first thought was ceramic. I was surprised to see an earlier poster say that ceramic pipes are not strong. I can't see a porcelain pipe being weak - the only challenge would be you'd need a multi-piece plaster mold to slip-cast it in. Or you could do a one-off piece and sculpt it directly in porcelain (keep in mind it shrinks a bit)

EEK!!
Porcelin!!
That's intimidating to say the least! But I guess i can research it.

As far as I've know the pipe was built, cause I'm working of photos from display, and in some of the DMC behind the scenes stuff, you can Bill Nighy holding it.
Man he's a great actor. I sit and wait for him to arrive when watching Hitchhiker's!!

Yes, there is a real pipe. I saw it up close at the studio last summer. There were a couple made for the films and one was on display at the Disney Gallery in Disneyland.

there were a few plastic ones made for promotional displays as seen at the Disney Gallery as well as chests and lockets.

11hgc3q.jpg

porcelain might be strong, but i dont know if it would be "smokable" while still being able to hold it, the constant heating and cooling seems like it would make it brittle.
At first i was thinking trying to carve it out of a meerschaum block, but the more i look at it, especially in the last picture, it looks more and more like a briar pipe. which is reportedly harder to carve than meerschaum.

Why not make it so that it encapsulates a real pipe, or the pieces of a real pipe.

That way you don't have to worry too much about the material.

That's what I'm thinking too, but I've been unable to find any pipe kits that may fit it. Either way, expect to see the resin bowl today. I'm out the door to run errands, but I'm coming straight back to pour resin!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back