chrome question?

Aquaman

Sr Member
Can u take a fiberglass helmet that has been painted and chrome it? I want a high gloss, shiny gold. How does one go about getting that done. Can u actually take it somewhere and have that done? I can't do myself since I live in NYC in an apt...they don't react well to spray painting and such in the fire stairs!!!

Help!!!!

Last edited:
I would recommend these guys....

http://www.creationsnchrome.com/gallery-chrome.html

They did my SS statue, the picture does no justice. I mean it is near mirror like.

IMG_3487.jpg

In order to chrome non metal items you need to make them conduct electricity. The way of doing that is to first paint it with conductive paint such as silver or copper spray. The problem is the flexibility of fiberglass and the fact that it breathes with temperature changes can cause the electro plate to crack.

The method described by Cessna is probably the better way to go since the coating is flexible to begin with.

cool thx guys. That site looks like they do greta work...is it expensive?

They charged me I think $80 for the statue.

I would shoot them an email, maybe a pic of the item so they can give you a price.

They use the cosmic chrome or fantachrome products, goes by either name I think.

Your statue turned out good! It looks kind of like Ron Lim's art! :thumbsup

It was surprising, I was very skeptical that a paint process could produce these kinds of results. But it is crazy how well it worked.

I guess it is a bit of an involved process, so sadly there is no easy way to do it at home.

what is the statue originally made of? It looks like there is a seam on the thigh?

Well your accidently delving into a bit of Silver Surfer lore there.

In the sixties, they drew him wearing shorts.

By the eighties they pretty much stopped doing that.

This is a Bowen statue, and Randy Bowen always sticks to old school.
Such as the fin on the bottom of the board too.

I think they are cold cast resin or some such thing.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back