Anyone ever built this style vac-form machine?

GINO

Sr Member
I'm looking into having this vac form machine built (or commissioned) and was wondering if anyone else has attempted it.

2247467.jpeg

The description:
Plans for a larger vacuum forming used to mold flat plastic sheets into complex shapes by using heat and vacuum. This machine can be built in three sizes, 2x2, 2x3, and 2x4 ft. (sheet Sizes) These machines are ideal for prototyping, packaging and short run production of larger parts.

Form up to 1/4 inch thick plastic sheets with a 12 inch depth of draw. The 220 volt oven is mounted overhead so it takes up minimal floor space, and a rugged manual lift linkage transfers the plastic sheet between the oven and the platen. Removable platens let you change sizes easily.

Build this machine for 80% less than a new unit with the same performance. A steel chassis with wood exterior panels make it both rugged and attractive. Easy to build with no machined parts. Plans include a 100 page assembly manual in a three ring binder, parts and material cut lists, 27 parts drawings, 3 full size cut-away blueprints and 36 actual color photographs.

By Doug Walsh.

The plans are $122 + s&h. Seems crazy for just plans but hey.

My concerns are:

- Overall costs (I want to make the 24"x24" or 24"x36" version)
- Availability of components
- Will it run on 220v at 30A or less
- Can I adapt it to plug into the outlet dedicated for my clothes dryer.
- Can it disassemble into pieces that will allow it to be moved into a residential basement (ie fit through doorways, and down a flight of stairs)

Any experts out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made a much simpler version that I use for all my vacuum forming. It's just a wooden table with a cavity and lots of holes in the top, and a hole in the bottom that you suck air out of with a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

The plastic sheet is held in a frame which has two parts that bolt together face to face. I heat the plastic with a quartz patio/workshop heater.

All made of MDF, cost hardly anything (about 4/5 sheets of MDF from my local DIY shop). And all the pieces are basically flat so it can be transported or stored.

Mine has a forming area of 50cm x 50cm (about 20" x 20"), but you could scale it up bigger. The main issue is heating the plastic uniformly - I resorted to putting the heater in the bottom of a tall wooden box (about 3' tall) lined with tin foil. I put the plastic in it's frame on top of that which seems to work well at diffusing/spreading the heat - 2mm styrene takes about 2-3 mins before it's ready for forming.

Both the heater and the vaccum cleaner of course run from the normal outlet power.

I used it to build most of: http://www.xrobots.co.uk/R2-D2.htm and all of: http://www.xrobots.co.uk/C-3PO.htm

Last edited:
1. $1200 - $1500
2. yes
3. depends on how its wired
4. yes
5. if you build it that way.

If you would like to view some assembled models and inquire about their construction, try tk560.com

I checked out that site. Very cool.

What I need is a walk me through every teeny tiny step of the way sort of deal (ie. for dummies because I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff), or just pay someone to build it and ship it for me.
I've used a good deal of different industrial machines over the years, but I know how to use them, not build them. :cry

I'm not interested in the kind that fold over for a couple of reasons.
One is that on a lot of parts I want to make, there needs to be a decent amount of droop in the plastic. That droop would interfere with the coils below, and possibly pose a problem when being swung over top and down onto the taller vac molds.

I prefer the tower type design where the heating element is at the top and the plastic drops down straight overtop the vac mold.

I saw a version of this type over on tk560, but it was a smaller style and kind of a bare bones setup.

Could you give a little more in depth breakdown of the $1200 - $1500 cost breakdown?

I believe the plans provide all the information you need. Welding is required, so if you don't do that, you will neeed to hire someone (I would)

I can't even do basic wiring. Will it explain in great detail exactly what to buy in terms of a heating source as well as vacuum?

Also still interested in that (rough) price breakdown.

i've used both main styles of vacformer as well as several home brewed pieces and I have to say that this design is the best and cleanest with the least opportunity for mishaps. However I would say that there are plans available for several similar machines available for free out there (I'll trya nd find some for you Gino)
There are several heat sources available on the internets just now, try searching for "tempco" on evilbay or seller "century858" and check out the results.

I'm looking into having this vac form machine built (or commissioned) and was wondering if anyone else has attempted it.

2247467.jpeg

My concerns are:

- Overall costs (I want to make the 24"x24" or 24"x36" version)
- Availability of components
- Will it run on 220v at 30A or less
- Can I adapt it to plug into the outlet dedicated for my clothes dryer.
- Can it disassemble into pieces that will allow it to be moved into a residential basement (ie fit through doorways, and down a flight of stairs)

Any experts out there?

I got the full set of plans for this as well as a quote from my machine shop for Around $1300 for the 24x36 version. Been on the fence about how to spend the tax return for a long time, but if I go at it I will let you know how it turns out.

I could build it all myself if I had the time, but I sadly do not have any free time at all between work and travel.

I have been building the EXACT machine from Doug's plans for the last several months now. You can see progress pics of the build here:

http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1162

I HIGHLY recommend you purchase Doug's plans for his Proto-Form machine. They are EXTREMELY well written, come with EVERYHTING you need, and are very easy to follow. Just as an FYI, if you don't mind waiting for a bit, Doug is working on making an electronic version of the plans (PDF) and will be offering them at a reduced rate.

Todd

I highly recommend going with TEMPCO's ceramic heaters. Those things are affordable and uber work horses. Tempco's customer service staff is top notch also. A joy to work with.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back