3d printed Scout Trooper Blaster

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_20130119_120153.jpg

About two weeks ago, Thingiverse user this 3d Warehouse blaster, modified it to be printable, removed the trigger, and uploaded it to Thingiverse. This bothered me for a few reasons. First off, the model originally designed and uploaded to 3d Warehouse wasn't too accurate to the screen used prop. It wasn't designed for 3d printing, and isn't very smooth either. It had to be glued together, and you couldn't see through the scope. Nonetheless, this blaster got lots of attention the RPF on facebook and from the 501st Legion. Lucasfilm/Disney copyright issues aside, it bugged me that the 3d Warehouse model was uploaded under a free and nonrestrictive licence, yet the Thingiverse one was under a noncommercial license. I felt I could do a better job slicing it up for 3d printing, make it smooth and accurate, be able to be assembled with no glue, and I wanted to put it up under a less restrictive licence.

IMG_20130119_010852.jpg
IMG_20130119_010911_1.jpg
IMG_20130119_011032.jpg
IMG_20130119_011038.jpg

On Wednesday I used a few reference pictures of the original screen used prop, and started sculpting the blaster from scratch in AutoCAD. Friday I brought the files and my MakerBot into MarsCon where I had an artist's table set up. The rules of the sci-fi convention specifically stated that you couldn't bring in realistic-looking weapons, so I didn't; I made it there. The print takes about 6 hours at 120mm/s using the new 7.0 firmware at .2mm layer height. It's very fun to take apart and play with.

I actually printed two blasters over the weekend and sold one to one of the Scout Troopers from the Tyranus Garrison. The files for this project are uploaded here

More pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101160511147073331023/Scout?authuser=0&feat=directlink

haha, nice way to get round bringing in realistic weapons.

next it will be no autocad files of realistic weapons aloud.

nice work.

-z

I saw that on Thingiverse this morning. I'm printing it this week for my gf (she has a scout and is afraid to troop with her hyperfirm). Thanks for making it available!

I've been doing some reading on home FDM printers recently, but I think I'll hold off another 6 months or a year before jumping in, given the backorders on most models. Maybe things will sort themselves out some in that time...

But in the meantime, I think I'll grab one of these, though. It's research.... yeah, that's the ticket... research. :D

Could anyone tell me the cost of printing this kind of item ?
thank you :)
That all depends on where you go, if you do it yourself or know someone who would do it for you it might only be a few bucks. Other venders are selling these for between $40 and $70.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back