11th Doctor Metal Sonic Screwdriver Build WIP

Why do I have a feeling that your key chain will look better than the new toy that is coming out?

Oh and also I can not wait to see this complete

I'm coming late to this party, but let me add -- fabulous work! Just brilliant! And keep me in the loop on the keychains...and the kit! ;)

Hey, everybody. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

NTBBCPD, you're doing some amazing work here. I can't wait to see more! I do have a couple questions though:

A: I assume yours isn't going to be spring loaded like the toy, so how will it remain opened/ closed?

B: Does the pommel cap open, or is it fixed?

C: Without that spring loaded function inside, yours is going to have a lot of extra room left over........ ever consider adding a few bits? I have some great ideas.

I know what you need to do,
turn it into a universal tv on/off remote in the form of the sonic screwdriver

Also I am really interested in a keychain, and if the price is right I will buy one (or more). So if you are making a limited run please mark me down as interested.

Last edited:
It would seem that whenever the doctor regenerates he physically gets younger...with that being said should that picture be considered a spoiler alert :D
just kidding

Thanks DexAntares,

The answers are easy,

A: Two little Slide springs mounted on the core press against the inside of the handle and create friction to hold the sonic in position.(Open, closed or in-between). see attached drawing.

B: Yes it does open. I made it in three pieces; the tail, a ring and the cap.
The cap has a hinge that connects it to the ring, and the ring fits onto the end of the tail. see attached drawing.

C: Not as much spare space as you think, the core from the CO toy takes up most of the space.

Those springs are brilliant. I would've never thought of that.

How much space is in there, approximately? Could more be made for, say, a universal screwdriver bit mount? I figure if you could install one of those, you could easily make it a functional screwdriver, as well as create specialized bits for other things, like maybe a hobby knife, or ballpoint pen, permanent marker, maybe even a dry-erase marker tip.

See, I love the idea of a Sonic Screwdriver replica that can actually do things. I tried making specialized tips for my Tennant version. Right now, my UV toy has a USB memory stick (I found the mod directions here: hacks.thepete.com › Posts tagged with “Sonic USB Stick”. ), and my LED version has a magnetized phillip's screwdriver. People loved seeing me use that thing, and it's come in handy in surprising ways. But my real dream is a high-quality custom with swappable tips of all sorts.

I know what you need to do,
turn it into a universal tv on/off remote in the form of the sonic screwdriver

Also I am really interested in a keychain, and if the price is right I will buy one (or more). So if you are making a limited run please mark me down as interested.

I wonder if the mechanism in that Harry Potter magic wand universal remote could be installed in a sonic....

If you don't know exactly what I'm talking about, it's here: ThinkGeek :: Magic Wand - Programmable TV Remote

I just wish this Sonic had a video of every step of the build. There's so many how to shows, say like Norm Abrams "New Yankee Workshop" that shows you how to build a table, or various wood-turning shows that teach one how to turn a salad bowl or such. I wish I could watch this Sonic being built. It is truly a thing of beauty.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing the 11th sonic finished. From what I've seen so far of the QMX prototype, I'd rather give my money to you for a CO 'upgrade' kit!

Hi guys,
I'm still around.

Sorry the project got delayed yet again.

I was taking my time while figuring out how to get it as close to the Hero and then when I was ready to start again there was a mix up at the supplier.

I had asked them to order a set of mill ends (cutting bits) and they ordered a mill head instead. (the motor end with the gears and pulley). They mixed up the stock number 8504 and 8054.

What does the kind of mill and parts you are using set a person back if I might ask?

NTBBCPD;1376715 So as I wait for the proper parts said:
That would be swell to see some video, though I know it's trouble.

Since you are such a wizard did you come up with a way to have sound too? I even bit my lip and messaged that horrid CT guy (what a §$%&!) to inquire about buying one of his chips and he frothed that he wasn't about to give up the enormous 'secret' of his chip, comparing it to asking KFC about their secret recipe of herbs and spices. As if someone interested in reverse engineer his chip or KFC's chicken couldn't just buy it and reverse engineer it to their hearts content. At least CT didn't tell me to shove my money up my hinder region like he had the previous person which I guess counts for some politeness.

I have two other customs in addition to the two I made earlier this year I'd love to have sound for if you know a way to do it for less than the price of cannibalizing a C.O. toy one.

Anyway Eddie, your work looks fantastic on the mill. I wish I lived near enough to be your sorcerer's apprentice.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back