What are The best places to buy Star Wars costumes?

Tobias_DK

Well the title is pretty self explanatory...

I'm looking for the best place to buy Star Wars related costumes. I understand that many people around here are making their own stuff. But I simply don't have the skills needed to make nice quality costumes. I'm able to sew a Jedi robe, but not much more than that.

But I don't want to buy something I'll regret later on or something that'll make you guys cry :)

I want to do it right the first time.

I do have some experience with costumes though. I have an Indy costume (a good one too) so I know that a good costume could easily cost $800. I'm going for quality, but not necessarily the best of the best. I would be satisfied with "close-enough".

I might as well add that I'm primarily looking into Vader, Stormtroopers and possibly Boba Fett or Chewbacca.

I would also like to ask about the quality of museum-replica's Jedi costumes.

I hope you guys can post a few links and maybe some pointers regarding the Star Wars costuming community, I've only been hanging around Club Obi-Wan so far. :)

Regards

Last edited:
For a stormtrooper or vader I would look at their detachment sites; whitearmor.net and 501stsithlords.com. At each site you'll be able to get all the information you need on the different makers and you can get in touch with the people selling kits.

As for buying stuff ready made; you can do that for Vader nowadays. But the stormtrooper is a different story. You're looking at having to build the kit yourself and size it to your own body.

By already made, do you mean you're looking for fibreglass armor perhaps?

I say go with a Scout Trooper. I had someone help me with it the first time, and now just give me a kit, and I'll have it done in under 2 hours. I'm not done with it yet, I still need boots, a new suit, and fix the belt. Yet the instructions should be relatively easy to follow, yet again.. I had another person's help. heh heh. Just say the word and I can reccomend a couple people to you

Well the title is pretty self explanatory...

I'm looking for the best place to buy Star Wars related costumes. I understand that many people around here are making their own stuff. But I simply don't have the skills needed to make nice quality costumes. I'm able to sew a Jedi robe, but not much more than that.

But I don't want to buy something I'll regret later on or something that'll make you guys cry :)

I want to do it right the first time.

I do have some experience with costumes though. I have an Indy costume (a good one too) so I know that a good costume could easily cost $800. I'm going for quality, but not necessarily the best of the best. I would be satisfied with "close-enough".

I might as well add that I'm primarily looking into Vader, Stormtroopers and possibly Boba Fett or Chewbacca.

I would also like to ask about the quality of museum-replica's Jedi costumes.

I hope you guys can post a few links and maybe some pointers regarding the Star Wars costuming community, I've only been hanging around Club Obi-Wan so far. :)

Regards
I recently received a Museum Replicas catalogue that contained Imperial Officers' uniforms. Boots included, teh price was $625.00, I believe.
I haven't bought one, but they seem to put out a good product.

Nah I wouldnt bother if I were you. Like Pappy said contact Rolf who will I'm sure be able to put you in touch with the right people.

For that price (maybe a touch more) you should be able to just about get a decent Stormtrooper kit

Cheers

Jez

I recently received a Museum Replicas catalogue that contained Imperial Officers' uniforms. Boots included, teh price was $625.00, I believe.
I haven't bought one, but they seem to put out a good product.

I saw the prototypes for those at last year's Comic-con and they did look good. I haven't seen the final product, which I'm hoping they'll have at this year's Comic-con. If they do, I'll take pictures and provide some feedback.

These are some great pointers! Thanks for all of that. :)

I think I'll contact Rolf when time gets around. Sounds like a really good idea to get in contact with someone in my area.

So the armor is basically made up of parts. And to get a good looking costume one has to look around for parts that fit your body or make the parts yourself, right?

I think I found someone in Canada who makes pretty good Stormtrooper armor for tall people (i'm 6'4) - RT-Mod I believe it was called.

Anyway, when I'm really going serious with all this I will contact a local community here in Denmark. I imagine they might also be able to point me towards some nice Vader costumes.
But it never hurts to ask here as well; Is there some Vader vendors that you can recommend or maybe advise me to stray away the hell from?

Which reminds me, what do you have to say about this one?
Star Wars: Darth Vader Supreme Edition Costume - Rubies - HotMovieProps.com

Stumbled upon it some time ago. The reviews I've read makes it sound like it's actually pretty good, though not perfect.

These are some great pointers! Thanks for all of that. :)

I think I'll contact Rolf when time gets around. Sounds like a really good idea to get in contact with someone in my area.

So the armor is basically made up of parts. And to get a good looking costume one has to look around for parts that fit your body or make the parts yourself, right?

I think I found someone in Canada who makes pretty good Stormtrooper armor for tall people (i'm 6'4) - RT-Mod I believe it was called.

Anyway, when I'm really going serious with all this I will contact a local community here in Denmark. I imagine they might also be able to point me towards some nice Vader costumes.
But it never hurts to ask here as well; Is there some Vader vendors that you can recommend or maybe advise me to stray away the hell from?

Which reminds me, what do you have to say about this one?
Star Wars: Darth Vader Supreme Edition Costume - Rubies - HotMovieProps.com

Stumbled upon it some time ago. The reviews I've read makes it sound like it's actually pretty good, though not perfect.

The Rubies is horrible, inaccurate and all around cheap; best to stay clear of it.
As for Vader it depends on which version you want to do. I would head to the detachment and you'll find the makers listed there and who to stay away from.

If you pick up a RT-Mod you might want to steer clear of the helmet. A friend of mine picked one up and it was smaller than the AP bucket.

Yeah, that picture is not what you get from Rubies. I'd say that it, if not crosses the border on false advertising, it's pretty flippin' close. It requires plenty of modding; primarily the mask that is advertised as a RotS mask, but is a very poor mold of a RotJ mask. You'll end up spending more time and money doing the modding (and you'll never be happy with the mask) than you would if you just bought fan made stuff... which you'll use to replace half the parts with anyway.

The only thing Star Wars that Rubies ever got remotely right was their Supreme Amidala dress...pretty sure that's not what you're looking for though. :lol

If you're looking for Jedi, Eva Vanecek is still making stuff. Her work is really beautiful, she makes some good Jedi soft parts. I bought a set of tabards from her once and they're quite nice, though I hear better things about her tunics. I think she also just released some hoth X-Wing stuff recently.... Her ebay ID is evavanecek209. Pricing is probably a lot more reasonable with her than with Museum Replicas if you're going for generalized unspecific Jedi.

I saw the prototypes for those at last year's Comic-con and they did look good. I haven't seen the final product, which I'm hoping they'll have at this year's Comic-con. If they do, I'll take pictures and provide some feedback.

Okay, Museum Replicas did not have their Imperial Uniforms on display. They claimed they didn't need to since the product is already shipping. They are working on a prototype Stormtrooper armor. It's got better details than the Rubies, but that's about the end of the praise from me. It was dull white, had a rough finish on it, and I can't recommend it. Maybe the final product will be better, but so far I'm not impressed :(

I say dont rush it man,it can save you a lot of money before you're happy with any of it. Dont buy anything just yet.

Sure you can make your own parts,but that cost a lot,especially if you want to make the whole parts,and that if you're 'lucky' to get the look right
The parts that you can really make,fast,is neckseal or maybe an undersuit,and if you go for sandtrooper you can make the kneeplate easy enough,if you nuts about accuracy buy/make handplates out of latex instead of using the ones come from the armor kit:lol ,see whitearmor.net or mepd.net,there are lots of useful build-ups,tutorials,and tips&how to's thread.
Things you should buy by yourself apart from your armor:
-Gloves: black chemical gloves(for accuracy) or Nomex
-Boots: take a hard route by finding the correct brand of chelsea boots or go to tkboots.com
-Supplies for making your strapping system
If its not included on your helmet kit:
-Brow trim
-Neck trim
-Screws
-Visor(stunts) or bubble lens(hero)
For hovi mic tips,your best bet is to contact Keith,a member here too.
If you want to paint the helmet's details by yourself,buy humbrol paint
-#5 for the gray
-#21 for the black
-#14 for the blue/tubestripes,if not,use decals from TK-4510 - STAR WARS DECALS FOR ARMOR, HELMETS, AND MORE!!!! he's even had many to offer including helmet parts.

Take RT-mods's body armor if you know it will fit your size,it is IMO better than the FX on look(FX is having some major modifications since it turned into AM though),and its ABS too.
For the helmet(stormtrooper),get the ones come from TE lineage,like TE2,hey now even Gino is offering his helmet kit!
Other than it was bigger than AP(or maybe RT-mod) it is the best helmets for its lineage:):thumbsup
Heck Rolf would know better

Oh,ANH,ESB,ROTJ? lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back