Vader lightsaber: Let's find the correct material to replace the MPP clamp sleeve

Filandrius

Sr Member
OK! So if my research is correct, a lot of people building Darth Vader lightsabers (including people who are using vintage MPP flash guns) are missing the black plastic "sleeve" that goes under the clamp. Master Replicas & Larbel MPPs come with rubber sleeves, which aren't correct and need to be replaced, too (especially if the rubber has started deteriorating) The "easy" way to get one is to buy a whole other clamp from Parks, but the price of that solution is a little steep for such a simple part.

So, would it be possible to find the correct material to replace the sleeve under the clamp? We'd need a 1.5" wide (approximately) strip of flexible black plastic-like material with raised edges on each side. The material could be cut in the correct length and voilà! Instant sleeves. I tried to do some research by myself, but the closest I came to something looking like the right thing would be magnetized rubber strips to put messages on the fridge, but that wasn't quite right.

Here's a pic that I found on the Rebelscum forums, of a "replica" sleeve that was apparently bought on a run made right here on the RPF a little while ago (if the pic is yours let me know, I'll take it down) That's the proof right there that it can be done (since it's been done already, duh)

spacer1.jpg

Vader lightsabers experts, any help would be appreciated! Let's do this! :)

Here are two pictures parfaitelumiere send me of his real MPP sleeve and clamp ... as you can see the sleeve is pre-curved and then glued inside the metal clamp :

Chaim

I wish I still had my spare original MPP sleeve. I sold it a few years ago. It's pretty simple plastic with an outer lip. I used to have a Parks replica too. That was also a few years ago. Unless he's changed his to the more correct plastic, his was the correct shape, but was done in pliable rubber. Maybe his are correct now. He charges too much for shipping, that much I do know.

Well I just spoke to parfaitelumiere who explained that if you buy in bulk from Parks, say 10 sabers or parts he's more then willing to reply fast to any inquiries and shipping is more reasonable as well as you will be given a discount ... so perhaps you guys looking for parts should gather and order in bulk and then distribute the received pieced between you?

Chaim

As stated the sleeve is glued in; I didn't even realise it was a separate part until recently when someone asked me if I had a spare because his was missing.

These are both 100% genuine old MPP clamps.

Live dream

Andy

IMG_1077_zpsfc574b2b.jpg

IMG_1078_zps098b8d5a.jpg

IMG_1079_zpsaf1e297a.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsd5bdaf60.jpg

IMG_1081_zps33ca7b48.jpg

If I understand correctly, we'd need 2 film canisters like these, with the bottom cut out and a slit on the side, one over the other (or maybe end to end? One way or another, to have a raised edge at each end) under the clamp.

il_fullxfull.106968522.jpg

This looks absolutely perfect, guys. I don't know about everyone else, but this is exactly what I was looking for.

(Those are Kodak 35mm film canisters, BTW ;))

Last edited:
lol end to end, but you'll have to shorten them. two of them back to back is quite a bit longer than the clamp, so cut about halfway or 2/3 down...i don't remember the measurements.

Yep, that's what I thought. Don't worry about the actual measurements, those will be a breeze to figure out once I have everything in hand. Thank you so much for that tip!
lol end to end, but you'll have to shorten them. two of them back to back is quite a bit longer than the clamp, so cut about halfway or 2/3 down...i don't remember the measurements.

Hell yea, when I found out I was ecstatic. This is one of those rare moments a junk substitute looks nigh to the real deal :)

Just thinking outside the box maybe better for a junk saber but what about a peice of pvc pipe cut then a price of styrene around the edges might be to thick though, nothing fancy or just styrene heated to the shape with the edge's folded. please take in mind I'm no professional and don't know the specifics of the Vader saber just wanted to add a idea.

Dang I had hundreds and hundreds of those at one point before we went digital. All thrown out now. :(

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back