Star Wars movie set den build

This is another day of construction on wall lights. A friend stopped me at Hobby Lobby and asked me when the Star Wars Movie Set Den would be finished. At this pace, I keep coming up with more things to build in it. There's only a couple hours available to work on it per night, so it might be a year longer. At that time, I will host a '77 Star Wars screening, then a room reveal. He's in. Should be fun.
attachment.php

Picked up 3 more 10-foot vinyl gutters today. They have been silvered with the silver metal tape. Testing. Very reflect-y! These will be flipped over for more wall-washing white light. I get the 16-foot rope lights at Wal-Mart. More later.

Attachments

• panel 08.jpg
    panel 08.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 3,728
All I can say about this build is... FREAKIN' SICK!!! This is why I love this forum! The talent and skill of builders/creators on here is mind blowing. Thanks DJ for sharing this amazing build. Can't wait to see the finished masterpiece!

B

The "gutter" light installation continues! There was this weird moment when I came home from the store with several 10-foot vinyl gutters. I was bringing them into the house through the front door. My next-door neighbor was giving me a weird look. Who installs 35 feet of gutters on the INSIDE of their house? Me.
attachment.php

I have only 2 corners to mess with. Here, I'm marking off the 45-degree angle. A Harbor Freight plunge-cut tool is used to cut the soft PVC. It's a piece of cake to use. With that edge-cutting tool, you can cut materials while they are hanging on the wall, or cut them on a bench, either way. It's 10 times easier to cut with than a conventional saw. It's also about a third less accurate, depending on how steady your hand is. But for this project, 100% cutting accuracy isn't necessary. It all gets covered up with silver tape, lenses, edging, and a front "hider" panel.
attachment.php

The corners are being fit together. After assembly, the rope light will be zip-tied in place. These materials are pretty easy to work with. This doesn't take any special skills.

A year ago, my neighbor observed that I was sawing up wood for my Star Wars window covering. He asked me what I was building. I told him I was uhhh, building some cabinets. :p Yeah, that's it, just some normal cabinets.
attachment.php

Today I lit the "lightspeed" window shades behind my computer desk. Lighting test! Ignore the desk, it's messy today. Nobody has seen this yet, just YOU guys! Shh!

Attachments

• panel 09.jpg
    panel 09.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 3,521
  • panel 10.jpg
    panel 10.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 3,567
  • window lighting test.jpg
    window lighting test.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 7,761
Here we have the different stages of construction for the illumination gutter's front "hider" panel. The panel will hide the front side of the gutter from view.

attachment.php

Start at the top of the image. First, I have a sheet of thick 140-lb watercolor paper {Hobby Lobby} that I have cut into long strips. This paper is not too different from the heavy paper that some lampshades are made from. Then reinforce the back of the strip with a whole window blind strip. Hot glue that sucker down. Don't use too much glue or it might pucker the thin vinyl or the heavy paper. Apply a thin bead of hot glue down the sides like it was window caulk. At the bottom of the image, I've hot-glued 4.75" vertical pieces of window blind. Each piece of blind is spaced apart with that little chunk of 1/4" wood, (see that?) used as a spacer.

Next step, creating a dozen more of these "hider" panels. Then painting these "hider" panels dark gray. Boredom is setting in, but I shall not... stop... building. :unsure

Attachments

• panel 11.jpg
    panel 11.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 3,476
The first three "hider" panels have their first coat of paint.
attachment.php

While these dry, I'm cutting up more old mini-blinds. I have 10 more of these panels to make. Don't tell my wife, but I'm washing some dusty old mini-blinds in the bathtub. Well, I guess it's better than my friend who rebuilt a Ford truck transmission in his bathtub!

Attachments

• panel 12.jpg
    panel 12.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 3,432
wow, I like my old industrial frame mod desk but wish I had room for something this scope. Thanks for all the posts and detail.

HO...LY...CRAP!! that is the coolest thing I've ever seen!

Thanks, man. I like how the lightspeed window really "pops" with the addition of the window lighting. I'm glad I used the iridescent blue colors and the sparkly paints. The smearing stars kinda shine and sparkle. It looks "busy" and almost overwhelming. That's what a jump to lightspeed should be, a visual overload.

Too bad my computer monitors block most of the bottom of it. I have two flat monitors now, will be three monitors by the end of the year. I threw 3 of my old prehistoric 22" CRT monitors out by the road. Somebody picked them up!

Too bad my computer monitors block most of the bottom of it. I have two flat monitors now, will be three monitors by the end of the year. I threw 3 of my old prehistoric 22" CRT monitors out by the road. Somebody picked them up!

You'll want to pick up the lovely new samsung's smart window "utube link" to use as monitors.

I'm so jealous right now...I have some great ideas for my 5x5 shed "simpod" but lack the skill to implement them.

I'm so jealous right now...I have some great ideas for my 5x5 shed "simpod" but lack the skill to implement them.
[url]http://s23.postimg.org/67vnikk6f/050.jpg[/URL]

Demonmaker, that's a huge monitor ya got there!

More progress today on my light fixtures. I built more of the "hider" panels. A couple of them have the first coat of dark gray paint on them.
attachment.php

Here's a dozen of them laying on the floor.

Ya don't need special skills to make something like this. If you can use a hot glue gun, and cut a straight line with scissors - you're good. Total cost so far $14. 3 pieces of heavy watercolor paper x $3 plus a pack of hot glue sticks $5 plus recycled miniblind slats $0 = $14

These panels under construction remind me of the detail seen on various Star Wars sets. Like, on the doorway edges in Tatooine and other places.
attachment.php

Above, Tatooine set building doorway edge

Attachments

• panel 13.jpg
    panel 13.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 3,170
  • panel 14.jpg
    panel 14.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 3,290
Last edited:
At last, the "hider" panels all have 2 coats of dark gray paint on them. I made 12 of these. Something tells me I will need 13 of them to finish it. Hmm.
attachment.php

And some trim pieces are painted. They are the "F" channels that will snap on the underside of the light fixture and hold the lens in place.
attachment.php

While all these dry, I'm trying to draw out the final plans for the ceiling. I'm thinking of these features:

* industrial mechanical room pipes as seen in Ralph McQuarrie's concept art
* horizontal vent pipes with odd lights in them
* one pipe (or box) in the center will have a fan in it to keep me cool while I'm gaming. Was shopping for a quiet 360mm to 400mm (15.7 inch) computer case fan to be used for that purpose...

attachment.php

So the ceiling would resemble the shapes seen below...
attachment.php

Just discovered they make 12 volt touch-screen panels to control the fan speed. I might get one of these lighted control panels and build it into my desk surface.
attachment.php

More likely, I will have it somewhere on the back edge, angled up with a bracket for easy visibility.

Attachments

• panel 16.jpg
    panel 16.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 2,973
  • panel 15.jpg
    panel 15.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 2,927
  • panel 17.jpg
    panel 17.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,017
  • ceiling concept.jpg
    ceiling concept.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 3,095
  • 360mm fan.jpg
    360mm fan.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,897
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back