Savage Opress (babw)

purplybunny

As one finishes another one starts :) Got supplies today for Savage Opress costume for Thomas Marshal the Lion (my build-a-bear Lion).

First up is paint, got these tester pots today. My local paint store knows me well (I'm on first name terms with the owner). These are a mix of yellow and brown paints, for when the time comes to paint the mask.

IMG_0095.JPGIMG_0097.JPG

Boots for the costume that I had ordered came today :) The bow will need cut at the knot and "metal" put on top of the boots but as a base I think they are spot on.

IMG_0098.JPG

Finally contact lenses, I had these already for Thomas Marshal the Lion. So far they are the closest I can get to Savage Opress.
IMG_0099.JPG

There are others out there that have a bit of red on the outside, but they might be too "Darth Maul" like. Since Darth Maul is on the ever growing list, I probably will end up getting these next pay day anyway.

another materials update for you all, and to give you an idea of what I'm planning ;)

first up are some more paints, crayons and nail polish
IMG_0100.JPG

I'm going to attempt to knit the Savage Opress mask...
IMG_0101.JPG

Black babw top with black trousers for the base of the costume. Black material and Darth Vader babw mask. Don't panic, I am not. I repeat I AM NOT going to cut up the Darth Vader mask (that would be sacrilegious). Just if the knitting doesn't work, I can use the Darth Vader mask as a template to make a mask out of material. Although it is different, it is a tight fitting mask, which is what I am aiming for. Making a template from it wouldn't be a problem (she says hopefully).
IMG_0102.JPG

quick update:

I've got half the mask knitted, including ear holes and he looks sooo cute in it already! :) I'm so happy that knitting it is working out :) Will share photo when it is finished, with the contact lenses in. I don't know about the horns yet, debating knitting/crochet with string or oatmeal coloured yarn and they will be sewn onto the mask.

mask update: still have the cheeks to knit and the brown around the eyes, then the base will be done. Will take photo with contacts in & share. Then will do the detail (tattoos) & make a start on the horns. Probably another photo will be taken before start on the horns. It is coming along well and looking good :) He looks so adorable!

Base of mask finished :) below are photos without detail (tattoos) or horns. You may notice he's wearing his contact lenses.

Back of mask:
back of mask.JPG

Front of mask:
front of mask.JPG

Next stage will be doing the detailing (tattoos) and the horns. I think it would be easier to do the detailing after I get the horns on the forehead done.

P.S. some of friends are already calling him "Baby Savage" lol

thank you spacebob :) yeah i'm going to knit the horns with string and pad it with scrap material or wadding. So that they'll hold their shape. I'll do a few and see how it looks. If that doesn't look right will try a mix of string and yarn. Only when I am 100% happy with the horns will I sew them onto the mask. I'm thinking of crocheting around the base, this would hide the sewing and also create the raised bit around the base of the horns.

one quick question, I've counted 9 horns, 6 for the crown, 1 at the back of head & 2 at front. Before I commit sewing horns onto mask want to double check that I am correct. Have been watching the Clone Wars again and keep pausing it and rewinding it and pausing and studying Savage Opress.

3 small test horns made, to see which material/mix of materials works better.

got masking tape now and off to put the metal bit onto the boots, wish me luck! hope this works :unsure

photos to follow shortly

progress update:

first photo is 3 small test horns with different materials, to see which worked out best. Also the mask isn't on the Lion correctly, but for the purposes of the photo, it doesn't matter. The one with the green knitting pin is string and mixed colour cotton. The one with the purple knitting pin is mixed colour cotton and mixed colour yarn. The one with the white knitting pin is string. Personally I think the one with the green knitting pin works better, as I think it is closest to his horns.
mask with test horns.JPG

Up next are the boots. I will admit I'm not the best at painting straight lines, even with the help of masking tape. Though I don't think I did too badly. I also did a bit of mild weathering on the toe caps of the boots. Will do a bit more work on the shins of the boots after the paint has a chance to fully dry. The blotchy bits on the toe caps and shins are just from the camera when I took the photo.
boots.JPG

Been thinking about the horns, might be easier to french knit them and then sew the horn shape. Would be more stable and wouldn't need stuffed. Also plan on doing some more work on this over the bank hol weekend. Weather the boots a bit more and do some altering on the clothes. The boots are too shiney for my liking.

Tonight I weathered the boots. Spent 25mins - half an hour putting ash onto them and rubbing it in, then another 10-15mins rubbing the excess off with a scouring pad.

Photo of boots with ash on
boots weathered 1.jpg

Photo with the excess ash scoured off, the scouring also help the weathered look
boots weathered 2.jpg

Any suggestions on how to "fix the ash" would be appreciated

Sprayed the boots with a fixer and ended up knitting the horns with string. Have got the 3 smaller horns knitted and 1 larger one. It's getting there :)

I haven't been on rpf for a week and yours is the first thread i wanted to catch up on,
loving the boots.
Savage is a great looking character, its coming together :)

Awwww thank you spacebob! :D

Yeah, it's coming along well and thanks about the boots. I fell in love with Savage after his transformation :)

Just ordered contact lenses. These should be more accurate than the ones I already have for him. As soon as they arrive, I will of course take photos. Without mask and with mask.

A wee update for you. Tonight I got the 9 horns for the mask knitted. I haven't sewn them into shape yet, but photos taken of them pinned to the mask. This will give you a rough idea of what it will look like. I ended up knitting them with string.

fm wh.JPG bm wh.JPG

Next comes sewing them into the horn shape and sewing them onto the mask. Then crochet around the edges of the horns to give them the ridge that the horn appears to be set in.Then comes the detailing (tattoos). Photos will be shared when this stage is completed (when the mask is finished).

update: got the 9 horns shaped and 3 sewn onto the mask. Also have got the "ridge" bit crochet around base of one horn, it looks well so far :) Looking forward to sharing photos with you all

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back