Rebel X-Wing Pilot Football Costume - Group Costume For DragonCon2015

Helpful Nerd

Sr Member
This group costume is for DragonCon 2016 - even though the title says 2015 (ignore that)

I cosplayed for the first time at DragonCon 2014, I made a X-Wing Pilot Football Player crossover. This year I upgraded the jersey and the costume got great feedback like last year. I am upgrading a couple other things for 2016. Such as the football pants, from white pants to black pants, adding some patches to the jersey and the shoes.

Last year I tried to gather some friends to be a part of this cosplay as a group and unfortunatley it didn't work out. The good news is that I have 1 more person that wants to be a part of this cosplay for 2016.

I met some guys that put together Cobra Commander football costumes as a group(in 2014) and saw them again this year., as if Cobra Commander had a football team, and so I want to do the same thing for next year if anyone is interested.

My costume has Porkins and #6 on the back referring to Jek Porkins and his call sign of Red 6. The other 3 main characters are up for grabs. If interested reply and let me know what Character you want to be on the team. The call sign number and last name will be used on the back of the football jersey.

Here is the list so far:

Red Two / Wedge Antilles -
Red Three / Biggs Darklighter
Red Five / Luke Skywalker - jackwabbit
Red Six / Jek Tono Porkins - helpfulnerd

Below I put together together the costume guide with links to where to order the parts for this costume. Everything you need to know is in the RED sections below.

Attached is a picture of the costume I put together (2014) and I'll post a pic of the upgraded version from this year soon.

Porkins Red 6 Rebel X-Wing Pilot Football Player.png

Part 1: Required Core Costume Pieces To Be A Part of This Group Cosplay

These are the official football player items that are required to take part in this group costume. These are the items that will create the continuity among the group.

Football Helmet:

I found a used football helmet that was grey in color. you can do the same. Used is fine and the helmets don't have to be the same brand as the rebel helmets are all slightly different anyway. A good tribute to the X-Wing costume.

I paid about $40 for my used helmet.

Football Jersey: http://www.teamsportswear.com/product/22282/adult-red-zone-steelmesh-football-jersey

Price: $68.84 + shipping (this includes the printed name and numbers)

The jersey color to order is the orange, black and white palette. All the colors from the X-Wing Pilot costume.

NOTE: DO NOT ORDER YOUR JERSEY YET. I wil make a screen recording on my computer to go over what to order, things like the font to use, and what part of the jersey gets printed on. So stand by for now. I'll update this thread once the video is done.

Football Pants:

http://www.amazon.com/Augusta-Sport...16&sr=8-11&keywords=Integrated+football+pants

I paid $30.

Order the football pants in black. I decided to change the color to black for 2016.

Shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F526VUQ...VUQ&tag=wwwshopstylec-20&ascsubtag=1074730602

Price: $41.40 - $64.99

The shoes will need to be modified. The New Balance "N" on the side will need to be removed, and the New Balance on the back of the shoe above the heal will need to be removed. I'll make a video guide of how to do this. If you already know how then awesome! The "N" on the side of the shoe will be replaced with a X-Wing patch. I am providing the X-Wing patch for the shoes.

NOTE :You might be asking yourself why I am requiring a certain shoe. Here's why:

When I did this cosplay at DragonCon this year I wore my Airwalk low tops (sorta like Chucks) and those shoes have ZERO support. By day two in cosplay my feet where killing me. I've never felt that much pain in my feet before. So I have decided on a comfortable running shoe that has plenty of support for walking around. And they sell them in Black which matches my design requirements for this upgraded version of the costume.

Part 2: Costume Pieces That Can Be Ordered Anywhere (google it and save money)

Football Socks

As long as the socks are solid orange and football socks (so they are really tall and go up to your knee) you are good to go

Shoulder Pads:

You can find used shoulder pads at Play It Again Sports. Or online like eBay or Amazon. Google used football shoulder pads and you'll find some good deals. I paid $30 bucks for my shoulder pads at Play It Again Sports.

Part 3: The X-Wing Pilot Chestbox

The chestbox can be purchased or made yourself. I realize that much of this cosplay is based on off the shelf items. While my design and idea for this costume is creative and unique I know many of you are into making things from scratch. So, in the spirit of what the RPF is all about I am not requiring anyone to buy a chestbox.

I found a chestbox on eBay and it cost $112.00 shipped. It's built very well and looks great and that's why I bought it. I don't have the equipment, or skill to vacu-form my own. But You can make a chestbox out of Pep.

Here's a Pep template / file / thingy that you can use:
http://www.4shared.com/postDownload/j8J86MSJ/x-wingpilot_chestbox_unfolded_.html

Thanks MatrixSpoon for the link. If you have any questions about making a chestbox out of Pep then PM MatrixSpoon, he is very good at Pep and can answer your questions.

Part 4: Freebies - Things I Will Be Providing To The Group

First of all I want to say thanks to the folks that like my design for this costume. I got a lot of great feedback at DragonCon and others said that they would be interested in taking part in a group version of this costume. That is AWESOME! So thanks again for the support.

So, as a thank you for the support I'll be providing the patches that go on the jersey, the decals that go on the helmet and the patches that go on the shoes. I have an idea for a vacu-formed piece that goes on the helmet. And if I can get that part vacu-formed I will provide that piece also.

Please make sure to read this however many times as needed to make sure that you order and get the proper parts for this costume. We are gonna have a great time at DragonCon 2015 in this group cosplay. I can't wait!

If you have ANY QUESTIONS don't hesitate and I will be glad to clarify and help you get the proper items for this costume.

GO TEAM REBELS!!!!!!!

Porkins Red 6 Rebel X-Wing Pilot Football Player.png

Last edited by a moderator:
how much?

So the version of this costume I put together for DragonCon used a oversized T-Shirt instead of a real jersey and used cheap shoulder pads from Play It Again Sports and cheap football pants from Ebay.

I am pricing out the pieces for the upgraded version of the costume including better football pants, real jersey, better football helmet etc. That way we all have matching uniforms for this costume.

Price break down coming soon.

But I would guess that this costume would be in the $300 - $500 range for everything needed.

The guy that makes the X-Wing chest box sells them for about $110 shipped - and that's just one piece for the costume.

I learned a lot about what's comfortable for this costume while walking the floor so that's the reason why I'm putting together an upgraded version.

I'll post the pictures of the items I'll be buying and price for each and supply the links then who ever wants to be part of this group costume simply buys their parts themselves. Easy peasy.

If you you are down to be a part of this group costume let me know what character you want to be and I'll update the list.

Ok,I live in the UK so probably wouldn't be able to take part in the group unfortunately :( I would really like one of the jerseys though but I don't want to take up someone else's space on the team.

Ok,I live in the UK so probably wouldn't be able to take part in the group unfortunately :( I would really like one of the jerseys though but I don't want to take up someone else's space on the team.

Well I can send you the link to the company that we are going to use for the costume, and then you can choose whatever character you want. Won't be an issue if you are not going to be in full costume with us. That's not an issue at all.

Once I decide on the jersey company to order from I'll share the link with you.

So the version of this costume I put together for DragonCon used a oversized T-Shirt instead of a real jersey and used cheap shoulder pads from Play It Again Sports and cheap football pants from Ebay.

I am pricing out the pieces for the upgraded version of the costume including better football pants, real jersey, better football helmet etc. That way we all have matching uniforms for this costume.

Price break down coming soon.

But I would guess that this costume would be in the $300 - $500 range for everything needed.

The guy that makes the X-Wing chest box sells them for about $110 shipped - and that's just one piece for the costume.

I learned a lot about what's comfortable for this costume while walking the floor so that's the reason why I'm putting together an upgraded version.

I'll post the pictures of the items I'll be buying and price for each and supply the links then who ever wants to be part of this group costume simply buys their parts themselves. Easy peasy.

If you you are down to be a part of this group costume let me know what character you want to be and I'll update the list.

Wow, I didn't think it would be that much...might have to rethink being a part...trying to save money...since so much at DCON hahaha...besides have to start saving up for next year...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I didn't think it would be that much...might have to rethink being a part...trying to save money...since so much at DCON hahaha...besides have to start saving up for next year...

So here's a general price list for parts so far.

Custom Jersey - $60 (depending on size) I'm a bigger guy and I have to pay extra for the 3X Jersey.
Football Pants w/ Integrated pads - $50 Again, this is just a rough estimate. I found them as low as $25, just depends on shipping etc.
Helmet - So far the cheapest helmet I found is about $150, but I'm still looking. I don't want to pay that much if I can help it.
X-Wing Pilot Chest Box - $110 ish
Shoes - $50 I found Orange New Balance athletic shoes that I'm going to buy for next year, I wore the wrong shoes this year. I won't make that mistake twice.

I'm still searching for good deals for shoulder pads. But there are places like Play It Again Sports too. So that's always an option to save some bucks.

I think the best thing to do at this point is to keep looking around for some more deals. I deff understand the money issue. Since I'm a designer I tend to think in those terms and I want us all to look our best as a group and to match (like a football team) and there is a cost to accomplish that. However, it doesn't mean that we have to break the bank.

I'll be posting an update to the first post soon with a more detailed price list for the parts that I find.

MatrixSpoon, you do have most of the year of acquire the parts so it's not like you have to drop all the money at once. I'm going to buy upgraded parts here and there so the expenditure is less painful. Trust I understand the money concern. I'm focusing on my new costume idea. And I might be going to MileHiCon in Oct so there is costs for that too.

I'll keep you posted.

So here's a general price list for parts so far.

Custom Jersey - $60 (depending on size) I'm a bigger guy and I have to pay extra for the 3X Jersey.
Football Pants w/ Integrated pads - $50 Again, this is just a rough estimate. I found them as low as $25, just depends on shipping etc.
Helmet - So far the cheapest helmet I found is about $150, but I'm still looking. I don't want to pay that much if I can help it.
X-Wing Pilot Chest Box - $110 ish
Shoes - $50 I found Orange New Balance athletic shoes that I'm going to buy for next year, I wore the wrong shoes this year. I won't make that mistake twice.

I'm still searching for good deals for shoulder pads. But there are places like Play It Again Sports too. So that's always an option to save some bucks.

I think the best thing to do at this point is to keep looking around for some more deals. I deff understand the money issue. Since I'm a designer I tend to think in those terms and I want us all to look our best as a group and to match (like a football team) and there is a cost to accomplish that. However, it doesn't mean that we have to break the bank.

I'll be posting an update to the first post soon with a more detailed price list for the parts that I find.

MatrixSpoon, you do have most of the year of acquire the parts so it's not like you have to drop all the money at once. I'm going to buy upgraded parts here and there so the expenditure is less painful. Trust I understand the money concern. I'm focusing on my new costume idea. And I might be going to MileHiCon in Oct so there is costs for that too.

I'll keep you posted.

this might help for all you builders, heres a pep file for the chest piece if you want to build it,...

Made by Fierfek

5976602150_41318118f4_z.jpg

Heres the link for the pep file:

http://www.4shared.com/postDownload/j8J86MSJ/x-wingpilot_chestbox_unfolded_.html

Why don't you make the chest box as the jersey logo. You save $110 and IMHO, the chest box doesn't make sense and it blocks "Rebels".

Also might I suggest custom wrist sweatband with the wrist control panel screen printed on it.

and how about instead of the black and yellow V markings on the helmet, you do black an yellow footballs to represent outstanding plays and you giveeach person one for every event the team member shows up at in the costume.

Last edited:
Why don't you make the chest box as the jersey logo. You save $110 and IMHO, the chest box doesn't make sense and it blocks "Rebels".

Also might I suggest custom wrist sweatband with the wrist control panel screen printed on it.

I love the idea of the custom wrist band that's awesome. I'm going to stick with the chest box since it ads that X-Wing pilot touch to the costume. Anyone who doesn't want to spend $110 on the chest box can use that file that MatrixSpoon posted to make one out of Pep. I already have one so I'm sticking to using it.

On the upgraded version of the jersey I'm not putting anything on the front, so it won't block where it says rebels. I'm working on a football league logo that will say RAFL instead of NFL and it will have an X-Wing on it and that can be ordered as a patch that goes on the shoulder or arm of the jersey.

Thanks for your suggestions I appreciate the feedback.

MatrixSpoon thanks for posting this bro! I totally forgot about the pic with me and the storm troopers. That turned out great! And FYI I've been looking into more options for the costume that saves money. I'm been compiling lots of costume parts options so that regardless of budget anyone who wants to be a part of this group costume has options that are good for them. I hope you are still interested in being Skywalker.

MatrixSpoon thanks for posting this bro! I totally forgot about the pic with me and the storm troopers. That turned out great! And FYI I've been looking into more options for the costume that saves money. I'm been compiling lots of costume parts options so that regardless of budget anyone who wants to be a part of this group costume has options that are good for them. I hope you are still interested in being Skywalker.

No problem...yeah i'm still up for it, and Andrew said hes down for it as well...

Tell andrew to hurry up and sign up for a RPF account so he can snag his character name. Can't wait for him to join this thread.
'

He actually already is on the RPF...just has been trying to figure out the site and navigation and all....and I have sent him the link to here already...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back