data-ad-slot="5185789655">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Jul 24, 2011, 11:16 AM - (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #1

Here's my 'almost' scratchbuilt E11 wip.

I started this quite a while ago, but put it aside while I waited to get my workshop built. Now that's been put off (no money!) I commandeered a corner of the lounge to finish this build.

The scope and counter were to be scratchbuilt, but I went for the excellent Doopy Doos pieces instead to encourage me to finish!

Not shown is the mag housing, which was cut from sheet steel (a side panel from an old PC) folded up and is now glueing together.

I plan to cover the grip with filler, sand into shape and file-in the diamond pattern.

There's a way to go yet - but it'll be worth it!
  2. data-ad-slot="4313291280">
    data-ad-slot="8398578428">
  3. Shat happens RPF Premium Member robn1's Avatar
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    Jul 24, 2011, 5:23 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #2

Nice!

skiffy said: View Post
    ...I plan to cover the grip with filler, sand into shape and file-in the diamond pattern...
    I recommend epoxy putty for the grips. You can roll it out flat with a rolling pin, then cut out the shape. And then sculpt in the diamond texture before it completely hardens. It'll harden to a hard plastic, then glue it to the grip.
  4. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    From
    Tampa
    Jul 24, 2011, 7:20 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #3

Looking great so far. This is going to look great when its done.
    From
    Houston, Texas
    Jul 24, 2011, 7:39 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #4

Awesome I just wanted to start on my pipe blaster and then here you are. Looking great keep up the great work.
    Jul 24, 2011, 7:40 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #5

This is what I used to always enjoy about this.
    Making stuff from the basics.

Looking good.
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    From
    UK
    Jul 25, 2011, 6:28 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #6

Can I ask you where you got your reference material - pictures/dimensions/materials needed etc? I'd be very grateful for any help you could provide....
    Many thanks
  8. xenobiologist RPF Premium Member Leigh's Avatar
    From
    Cambs, UK
    Jul 25, 2011, 8:39 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #7

Thats looking the business very nice
    From
    Houston, Texas
    Jul 25, 2011, 11:04 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #8

ATLANTHIA said: View Post
    Can I ask you where you got your reference material - pictures/dimensions/materials needed etc? I'd be very grateful for any help you could provide....
    Many thanks

PVC Blaster Builders Club
  10. Member Since
    Sep 2002
    From
    The 512.
    Jul 25, 2011, 11:35 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #9

I scratchbuilt an ROTJ E11. If you want to save a little time, you can get genuine grips (for a Canadian sterling, but they're almost exact) for cheap at e-gunparts.com under "sterling arms".
  11. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Jul 25, 2011, 12:11 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #10

Thanks everyone!

robn1 - good idea re the epoxy putty of the grip. The top rear of the grip has a coat of Milliput superfine (white) which stayed 'malleable' for a few hours and has now dried rock hard. I just might have to get out the rolling pin to do the rest!

Valdez - go for it man! Total scratchbuild?

Atlanthia - Atlanthia of the totally awesome £10 ANH bucket? It would be great to see what you can do with the pipe-build E11!

jakob2121 - you posted as I was updating, so I missed your comment at first. Thanks for the suggestion of genuine grips. There's toil in them there home-mades, so I'm keepin' em for now - I do plan to make another of these, so I'll definitely consider it then!

Here's a shot of everything (so far) assembled. The steel sheet mag housing was a ***** to fold up but it looks OK now. It's slotted into the PVC with 2 small tabs at the moment. I'll add milliput round it and glue it in place later. I'll then add a short wooden mag plug with a styrene sheet end plate.

You can just about see here where I've had to notch the stock rail around the mag housing. Also, there's just one trigger piece here - There's another one coming, to be sandwiched together to get a better thickness.

Sorry for the lack of focal depth in this shot - but you can see the relative height of the counter above the mag housing.

12. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Jul 27, 2011, 2:23 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #11

Right - a bit of primer to see where I'm sanding/filing and off we go!

From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Jul 27, 2011, 2:36 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #12

Every time I see one of these, I think I have to make one someday! Nice job.
  14. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Jul 29, 2011, 3:44 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #13

Ta!

I've made a little progress. Started sculpting the grip, and the stock catch under the end cap.

From
    Sydney Australia
    Jul 29, 2011, 7:26 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #14

That's looking great. I love the folding stock and front sight you've made. I have the Doopy Doos complete kit and yours just ****s all over what I have.
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Jul 30, 2011, 12:06 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #15

Thanks Junk Pilot. The Doopy Doos kit is great - my scope and counter are by them.

I'm waiting for epoxy to cure and milliput to harden so I can get on with all the detailing left to do.

I've just made up the mag from a styrene-clad wooden form. Pics soon.
  17. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Aug 1, 2011, 11:41 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #16

Yay! More progress!

The mag is made and attached - but I can't take pics of that yet - until the epoxy on the stuff on this side dries.

T track is made, cut, bent and glueing. As are the weird 'flash guards' or whatever (the black styrene pieces).

This is quite a weighty beast, and the cold metal feels goooood. I've been running around the house going 'Pew, pew' driving the family mad. lol

18. Member Since
    Jul 2010
    Aug 1, 2011, 11:57 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #17

Great job! Particularly on the vent holes. It's a pain to keep the alignment on stuff that's in a pattern like that, but the results do speak for themselves.
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 1, 2011, 12:08 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #18

Very, very nice!

Are you in the 501st and plan to troop with it or is it for display?
    From
    Ventura, CA
    Aug 1, 2011, 1:04 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #19

That's looking great! What method did you use to make and bend the T-track?
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Aug 1, 2011, 1:31 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #20

greg883 - Thanks! I just wish I had a workshop with a proper pillar drill. There were plenty of wonky holes on my first attempt. lol

Nazgul - Thanks! I hope to troop with this eventually. I have a heavily modded MRCE bucket (which got me into the whole SW replica hobby) but I have no suit yet. I should have a workshop built next year, and then I can crack on with a suit build.

Drewid - Thanks also! I found some E section strip at B&Q (a UK hardware store chain) which looked like it could fit the bill. I scored the back with a hobby knife and snapped the extra two uprights off, cleaned up the resulting T with sandpaper and bent it over a T-light flame using long-nosed pliers to bend the hot plastic.

EDIT: I plan to use some more of this track - snapping just one upright off - to make the U shaped stock catch for under the gun body behind the grip.
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Aug 6, 2011, 8:56 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #21

Okay, more primer and greeblies added.

We now have a trigger, a cocking handle and a rear stock-catch (minus the insert)..

We have a bolt on top of the mag housing, a mag with scallop detail and you can just see the front ironsight.

Next up in this overall shot you can see my cack-handed failure of an attempt at grip pattern. This will get smoothed and re-done. You can also see a little bulge where the scope rail bolts to the front of the body. This is re-inforcement where the PVC split right across two of the vent holes as I was fixing the rail in place. I tried and failed to glue it from inside, but luckily this 'patching' solution won't detract too much from the overall effect.

Lastly, a detail shot of the front ironsight - filed from acrylic sheet.

Still to add: D ring, bayonet lug on side of barrel, fire selector switch, more detailing at the back of the mag housing, non-wonky grip patterning! I plan to insert an imperial roundel in styrene to the right side of the grip - as I've seen in some resin versions - cuz it looks cool..
    From
    East Riding of Yorkshire...originally from Glasgow!
    Aug 6, 2011, 9:11 AM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #22

Looks damn good so far!

Rich
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Fraggle Rock
    Aug 13, 2011, 2:12 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #23

Cheers Rich! Here's an update. I had a painting disaster at first, had to strip the gun down - clean off all the crap black paint and find a better brand of rattle can. Went with an automotive satin black - which looks the bomb!

Still lots to do - but it's starting to look shweet..

k13
    From
    Canada
    Aug 13, 2011, 3:36 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #24

sweet blaster,great job.
  26. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    From
    London, England
    Aug 13, 2011, 4:54 PM - Re: (Almost) scratchbuilt pipe E11 #25

The method i use for the grip xhatch is to shape the grips then apply filler(ie milliput,bondo) let it start to go off then use wire mesh(the kind you get with auto fibre glass kits)to make a imprint.
    i own 2 real deac sterlings,and this method gets very close to the real thing

As someone who's been a member of the bbc(BLASTER BUILERS CLUB)for a few years and scratch built my own e11's,i gotta say yours are fricken A,keep up the good work

i bet if i put it next to the real thing you'd only knowe the real one ,by picking it up cos of the weight,so once again ...good work man
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast