Skor's JUDGE DREDD HELMET CONTEST ENTRY

Skor

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well now, this has been a mission and a half.

So, I wanted to enter this competition when it was first announced, as I had a very clear idea of what I wanted to do. Since I've been a kid I always loved the Brit-Cit judges in the Dredd stories. Their awesome, over the top armour, their silly helmets... all awesome.

I mean, you've got to be going some if you manage to look more over the top than having a gold eagle stuck to your shoulder, right?

So, I wanted to give a more real-world edge to the Brit Cit judges and make a modern, worn-in, roughed up helmet.

Alas, time, money and resources (and even the weather) conspired against me. I didn't even have the time to start the damn thing, let alone finish it for the due date.

Well, that was until this weekend. I suddenly had two spare days. Two days? Is that long enough? I didn't know if I would have any time after those two days, so I'd have to cram as much in as possible and hope for the best. So, here it is. TURBO-BUILD TIME!

I started with a god-awful £6 BMX helmet and some styrene. The helmet refused to stick to the styrene and because of the limited time, I bolted the damn thing on.

1.jpg

What a great start! *mutter*. So, having BOLTED the plastic to the helmet, I started to apply Body filler over the seams and holes. I then added the nose piece and filled that too:

2.jpg

I then sanded, added filler, sanded and added filler. Given this was over a few hours, I gummed up my sanding pads good, as the filler wasn't 100% cured. GO ME!

Then the madness took me. In my design I wanted to leave hints towards the current Police helmet (it's pretty tall), The Brit-Cit design (it's pretty flared and LIONS) and the new Dredd helmets (you can actually wear the damn thing). So... I uh... sprayed some foam on the helmet. Quite a bit of foam actually:

3.jpg

Holy mushroom head! After allowing it to cure overnight (I cut the first batch off after 3 hours to discover foamy goo inside. Good going me, again.) I then shaped the foam into a large mohawk/brow and applied more filler:

4.jpg

Man, was that ever hard to sand down, pointy nasty filler and foam that flexes even under a slight amount of pressure. Ugh.

Well, after three rapid layers of filler and a quick spray with Primer (even though there's a HELL of a lot more sanding to do) we have this:

6.jpg

And I just finished the sculpt for half of the headpiece (the other half is a badge that sits under it, with the mane hopefully flowing outwards over the mohawk:

5.jpg

So, now it's a mad dash to see if I can get the damned thing finished in time. Even if I don't, at least I gave it a shot :)

Last edited:
Hi Skor,

Glad to see that someone else is flying the flag for Brit-Cit :)

I had exactly the same problem with glue and the bike helmet - I think we've used very similar bases. After trying every plastic glue I had, I ended up using a product called Stixall Adhesive and Sealant from Toolstation (I think), which claimed to "stick everything to anything." Quite a boast, but it did the job long enough for me to get the filler on!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Ross

Due to illness it looks like I'm not going to get a chance to finish this in time. Oh well. At least this competition has produced some amazing items from everyone!

Due to illness it looks like I'm not going to get a chance to finish this in time. Oh well. At least this competition has produced some amazing items from everyone!

That's a crying shame. :(

I hope you finish the helmet anyway, you had a great start there!

I second Michael there, sorry to hear about the derailment with the build!

Keep us posted as and when you finish off the build though - Brit-Cit needs all the help it can get! :)

Best wishes,

Ross

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back