RossT’s JUDGE DREDD HELMET CONTEST ENTRY

RossT

4,000 miles across the Black Atlantic lies a small, former world-power known as Brit-Cit…

Drawing inspiration from Dredd 3D and the original 2000AD artwork, I present my take on the Brit-Cit judge’s helmet. Still working on the overall shape at the moment (sand, fill, sand, fill, sand, fill, etc.), but should have that finished sometime this week -weather permitting - I’m having to work outside and it’s snowing at the moment… Once that’s done I’ll move on to sculpting the stylized lion’s head on the front and the top ridge, hopefully this should have a nod to British police helmets, the artwork and the movie!

I’ve kept the Dredd-style eye openings but have tried to flair out the cheek plates a little to match the look of the comics. Paint-wise I’m going for a deep gold rim and top trim with a dark midnight blue main as a gesture towards the traditional Bobby’s wool uniform. I’ll be adding a rubber trim around the outer edge to match modern riot helmets and attaching a nearly full-face visor to add to the “realistic riot police” look to it.

A couple of pics attached below, hopefully some more updates this weekend and will post pictures when I can!

Thanks all,

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

At the moment you'll have to overlook the black marker pen circles for filling, plus the "badge" needs extending down to accommodate the lion sculpt - it'll taper to a point just about where the traditional "X" nasal should sit. Well, that's the plan anyway!

Thanks again,

Ross

Wow! The same idea I was going to do, but I ran out of time so I expect you to succeed and bring the prize home for the Brit-Cit'ers!!

Can I ask what brand of filler you've used... also where you got your plastic sheeting from. Mine is very brittle and I've struggled to use it to make the helmet shape.

Good luck buddy!

Hello Skor,

I'll certainly do my best - though I've been struck down with a case of man-flu today so I've lost a day's production... Still, must soldier on!

The filler is Isopon P38 from Halfords. I used some aluminium mesh to strengthen the join between the original helmet and the plastic sheet, again from Halfords' bodywork section. I'll most likely be using their automotive paint too - got to love Halfords!

The platic sheet was just 1.5 or 2mm sheet styrene I found online. I won't pay the prices asked by Hobbycraft and the like, I think I got mine for around £1 per sheet. Try searching "Scratch Builders Paradise" in Google and that should bring up the website I used!

Right, back to the sofa to kick the man-flu, more sanding to do tomorrow!

Thanks,

Ross

Hmmm...

Slight disaster. Let's say you drop your contest entry down the stairs and say that the structural build up is shot, are we permitted to start over with the same design and components?

I really wanted to get this one right and I'm not sure my current attempt is going to make it! Mod help?!

Thanks,

Ross

Right, sorry for the double post, but one late night shop later to find a replacement lid base has borne fruit!

Though it is a different type of fruit, namely the pictures below. As long as I'm ok to change design halfway through I'll have some proper updates in the next few days - time permitting!

Thanks for bearing with me,

Ross

Oh no! I've been subject to the old, "Man, this is coming along nicely" *slip* *shatter* "Oh crap" myself.

Best of luck with the new build!

BTW, you're advice saved me a stack on cash as I've just bought all my sintra from that website you recommended!

No problem Skor, glad to help :)

Another small update for you all, pic attached below on tonight's progress - not as quick as the first attempt but I'm making this design up as I go along. Some things I'm pleased with and some things not - the white "cheek" piece will have it's shape refined to develop the eye holes and the visor will be tinted before the helmet is finished...

Following tomorrow and the weekend will be the filling and sanding ready for additional sculpting and hopefully paint over the Bank Holiday the weekend after.

Thanks for watching,

Ross

Aaaagh! Oh lord, man! I can't believe that happened to you! And after a pretty hot start...you'll pull it back, I'm sure! Hell, I have barely even started mine yet! I have been arguing, in my head, about different methods of build. I was going to use Styrene as a medium to sculpt, then make a mould from it, cast and go to work that way. But, it seems long-winded, considering my narrowing time-frame, while I'm playing Zen Builder in me head!

So, I think I'm opting to follow a mix of the pep files, with J Scorn's cardboard base. I'm trying to build a head shape out of papier mâché, clay & filler, roughly the size & shape of my own head. I have a ton of latex for moulding on order, but I'll save that for another project (I'm thinking a custom fit cowl for The Dark Knight).

I'm personally glad you're giving the good old (much maligned) British Bobby a nod, with the helmet. I'll be very, very interested to see what you come up with. Good luck, my friend, you WILL get there! :)

Thanks for the kind words Scoots - I meant to get some gluing done tonight but I'm on dinner duty while my other half and step daughter watch Hollyoaks... :facepalm And to think, I even bought an adhesive that claims to "stick everything to anything" - it's torture not being able to play with it!

I'd recommend Dung0Beetle / Blaxmyth's pep file, I used it for a size comparison on my original build before the, er, accident. The half I built was very easy to put together and well labelled.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with - I'd give my nod to working in styrene sheet if possible, but that's mainly becasue it's my favourite medium to experiment and scratch-build with!

Thanks,

Ross

Morning all,

One more quick update on the helmet. Didn't manage to get everything done that I would've liked to over the weekend but still took a few steps - I managed to get the new cheek pieces installed. They're made up of layers of white styrene sheet with a black layer on the inside to eliminate the need to paint. Took some time to get the alignment right but I'm pretty happy it.

Third pic is a preview of the lion motif, at present it's a flat piece, but once complete it'll be curved to fit the visor - I get the appropriate curve by taping the styrene to the outside of my kettle and making some coffee :)

Anyway, pics below, big push this week to get the lid ready for painting over the Bank Holiday.

Ross

Hi all,

Long weekend of sanding and trimming, cutting and filling –unfortunately my internet connection has been down so no update posts!

Right then, progress pictures attached below; built the peak up from layers of white styrene, plus a black layer on the inside to limit the painting as per the cheek pieces. The peak was built up a layer at a time, the styrene being shaped with my patented “hold the plastic around a kettle as it boils, being careful not to burn your hands, neck or face” method. Once in place, I built up the medial ridge with strips of 2mm styrene. Filling and sanding came next, shaping the medial ridge and blending in the peak attachment.

Once done, I then applied the lion motif I’d made a while back with yet more sheet styrene and glued down - I’ve just started the final filling around the outer edges. The aluminium bar at the jaw-line was originally just to keep the structure while filling, but I’ve decided to leave it in there as a face-guard/grab handle. This will be thickened up a little and wrapped in grip tape.

Not long to go now, should be ready for priming on Thursday and final paint on Friday and Saturday – I’ll be picking up the metallic dark blue and gold tomorrow evening, then just a visor to find or make! I’m getting quite excited about finishing this off (especially after dropping the first attempt) – my first helmet, my first use of body filler, first competition and first time building to a time schedule!

Thanks for looking,

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving this design, It looks sleek and modern and completely functional (although it still has that amazing flair the Brit-Cit helms had in the progs).

Even if I can't finish mine, I'm glad so many other people are making amazing Brit-Cit helmets :)

Gold!

Well, Plasti-kote Brass anyway. I'm really impressed with this colour - hopefully you can see how much of a mirror-finish it managed to give :)

Two coats of primer, three coats of gold and the dark blue will go on tomorrow ready for weathering. Ideally I'd like another few days to re-sand some of the filler but work and life commitments mean I have to get the paint done by tomorrow...

More to follow and thanks for looking,

Ross

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back