JudgeLusk's JUDGE DREDD HELMET CONTEST ENTRY

JudgeLusk

Well hopefully the contest extends to non-human 'helmets...'...lol!

Long-time Judge Dredd readers may remember the Judge Cal storyline wherein the crazy Judge Cal--leader of the branch that investigates other Judges-- takes over as head Judge and proceeds to go utterly insane with power.

One of his more interesting decisions was to announce Judge Fish as the Deputy Chief Judge.

Judge Fish was a fish. A goldfish.

fishref1_zps58785d9e.jpg

fishref2_zpsb17bbbc0.png

I'm hoping the special Judge-a-riffic bowl wherein Judge Fish resides will count as a 'fish helmet.' If not... well at least I'll have a sweet prop to sit next to my Dredd comics!

Hardest part is the badge on top of the bowl, so I started there, with Sculpey. This is the first time I've touched Sculpey since college, so I'm a little rusty, I'm also missing most of the useful sculpting knives I used to have so I had to manage with a exacto blade, the butt end of a paint brush, and my fingernails. Roughin' it!

Here are some sequential pictures:

fish1_zpsa629bcda.jpg

fish2_zpscb37a9ee.jpg

And here it is baked solid and sanded smooth on the edges and flat surfaces:

fish3_zps978d7ac0.jpg

More coming soon!

Cool idea, you could save a bit on a Judge uniform as well if you go for Judge Quincy to accompany Judge Fish (on the left) :)

19702435_1.jpg

Lol! Judge fish!?!? What the hell?! Still, good luck with your project, you have amaizing sculpting skills!! :thumbsup

Well hopefully the contest extends to non-human 'helmets...'...lol!

I'm hoping the special Judge-a-riffic bowl wherein Judge Fish resides will count as a 'fish helmet.' If not... well at least I'll have a sweet prop to sit next to my Dredd comics!

Quoting from the rules:

CREATE A HELMET FOR ANY CHARACTER, EXISTING OR IMAGINED, FROM THE JUDGE DREDD UNIVERSE. YOU MAY SCRATCH BUILD YOUR HELMET AND/OR MODIFY AND USE PREEXISTING ITEMS AS A BASE (AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT HELMET KITS ALREADY INTENDED FOR THE JUDGE DREDD UNIVERSE). THE MORE CREATIVE AND UNIQUE THE BETTER.

This is a real character from the Dredd universe and is definitely creative and unique. It's also, I believe, in the spirit of the contest so I will allow the fish helmet as an entry. :thumbsup

Awesome. I'd read about Judge Fish just this week and am glad to see someone tackling the helmet.

Your sculpt is fantastic!

Little more sculpting done, for the chain band around the top lid of the bowl. I bought a plain round glass fishbowl that I'm doing all my measurements on.

Sculpted flat...
photo1_zps86b99f5b.jpg

Curved and baked (but unsanded, so the edges are rough)
photo-3_zps1a7a9cbb.jpg

So I used bondo to adhere the clay parts to the fishbowl, and built up the lip. I've only got one coat on there so far-- I'll be refining it with spot putty to get it all smooth. The bottom ring is the bottom from a 4lb Domino sugar cannister. It's a bit wider than the base from the comics, but as I intend to keep a real fish in here, I didn't want it to be so top heavy and potentially tippy.

Here it is drying on the floor after a quick bath to get rid of the bondo dust...

fish6_zps3a1e2e80.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back