Bad builds & worse fixes - Judge Dredd Lawgiver

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So many fantastic build threads on the forum.

But .... we never get to see the failures, or rather, disasters.

Well, I've just been through one :lol

The disaster started with what I got.

I got his piece of (insert what you wish here) a couple of weeks ago, and fully intended to strip it down and jazz it up.... for obvious reasons ....

I don't even think it's a kit. It's probably a Comet built kit that was cast.

(please don't ask where I bought it from. This thread is not meant to bludgeon anyone).

LGB1.jpg

LGB2.jpg

LGB3.jpg

LGB4.jpg

LGB5.jpg

Then got everything ready. Located the future gun barrel, binoculars for the targetting scanner, tools out, etc.

LGB6.jpg

Put the mild paint stripper I usually use for my plastic model kits .... and here is the result.

Absolutely unrecoverable flaking :cry

LGB7.jpg

LGB8.jpg

LGB9.jpg

While waiting for judgedredd's new kit to be available, I still want to tinker with one of my own.

I will not give up, and am trying to locate a 'decent' kit to play around with.

Anyone had a worse build or fix gone wrong than this :lol ?

Last edited:
re: Bad builds & worse fixes - Judge Dredd Lawgiver

I watched one of the Comet guys working on the master for that kit, back in '95, right there in the shop.

God, that thing is horrible. But since pretty much every surface needed, er, resurfacing anyway, why not just get sanding? :)

...I wouldn't bother either. :(

God, that thing is horrible.(

:lol

It's easier to get another kit rather than try to fix this one in the state its in.

I could have fixed it, if after stripping the paint it remained as it was when I got it, no problem.

But I draw my line at masochism.

I watched one of the Comet guys working on the master for that kit, back in '95, right there in the shop.

God, that thing is horrible. But since pretty much every surface needed, er, resurfacing anyway, why not just get sanding? :)

That's what I thought too!

This prop may have a negative legacy. I got mine from MiM, and it pretty much was a sow's ear too, though not as bad as yours.

This is most definitely not a kit, but a cast of a made Comet kit.

The advertised picture didn't show it to be too bad at all (I knew it needed some fixing anyway), but NOT what I got :thumbsdown

Have for the past half hour or so tried to tinker around with engraving the Eagle emblem to make it deeper for sanding, but the resin has now softened

Weather the heck out of it and call it a relic found out in the Cursed Earth, looks like most of the work aside from painting has already been done for you.

Just a thought.

MJ

Weather the heck out of it and call it a relic found out in the Cursed Earth, looks like most of the work aside from painting has already been done for you.

Just a thought.

MJ

Now THAT's an idea I LOVE :thumbsup :thumbsup

Wish I'd thought of that. Just rust the hell out of it, it'll look amazing.

That truly is bad i saw someone recently on ebay trying to sell this same kit as a cast off a screen used piece :lol Its nothing like wait a little longer and my new one will be ready :)
I think FJ is referring to my previous incarnation of the lawgiver which had some casting issues :( heres the master kit i made just to show the original was not too bad the new one should be hopefully much more accurate as i have had a lot of new information since that one was made :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvYCr8Zzec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhRO8b7ymm8&feature=related

Last edited:

Yep. I got me one of those. Price was cheap, it looked a little crappy, but not this bad :lol . I already knew of course that it was not a cast of a screen-used prop. I also consulted an expert, who identified its origin for me.

Anyway, busy little bee this morning, giving it a quick & dirty shot at trying to salvage this. I Discarded the Cursed Earth option. Too easy :lol

Still have little details to work out, but here is the initial result in a small area

sbslg-570x600.jpg

I tell you, it don't look half bad from a foot away, and smooth as a baby's bottom :lol ... no, honestly

This should keep me busy till yours is ready Rob :)

Last edited:

Kept on going, but now stopping for the day. This £&^(*&*£"$£ is getting on my nerves now :angry

Just sanding for now ... and more sanding ... and more. Once that's done, it'll be the filler .... then more sanding :sick

jdlg2bsbsRS-816x643.jpg

Last edited:

Will the resn "hold" an adhesive (now that it has been exposed to paint stripper)?

For some of the inner surfaces that will be harder to sand (like the area right around the trigger), you may want to consider laying in a cut-to-fit piece of styrene. May be eaiser than sanding all those inside curves and corners.

Yeah. It'll hold. I'm going to use a plaster-based resin for the filling.

As for the curves :)cry), I found that if I cut a sliver of sandpaper & fold it over itself, it takes on the shape of the curves as it goes along.

I tell you one thing though, I'm only going to 'fix' the front & sides. The back can go against the wall as is.

I'll call it my Demeter Lawgiver ... only to be looked at from de meter away :lol

Just remember, you will only see a third of it sticking out of its holster! :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back