venom suit (Help)

chazdragon

I am planning on sculpting a full venom body suit but have never taken on a project of this magnitude and have some questions as I am trying to decide on how to best build the piece. I know the clay sculpt is ruff right now. I have built it on a fiberglass and aluminum frame so that the jaw will move with grate ease. I first designed a pulley system and quickly abandoned that idea I then looked into solenoids and decided that would not work well for realistic motion. I finally settled on elastic bands with a formed chin rest (keep it simple stupid). The aluminum platform in the jaw will also serve as an anchor point for a motor that will make the tong flop on command. Tubing will be run from a reservoir with a priming pump to the mouth so that I can simulate salivation. I will share my specs for the co2 powered web shooter after working out the kinks. In the mean time my questions to all of you are as follows:
1. Should I make it out of silicone or latex.
(I know silicone would look more realistic but I am worried about seaming such a large suit together as I have not seen any video posts on how to do it )
2. If I want to sculpt the hands how would I use the silicone with a two piece mold. (poring latex would be much cheaper and easier but won’t move as well)
3. Should I keep with the tendril look (the symbiote fusing with Brock or should I scratch that idea and keep with the traditional full suit. Take a look at some of my ruff sketches and let me know what you think.)

I know my first sculpt looked more like the violator than venom. (Hence the change.)
the third pick is the tendrils taking over the left side of the face (still needs a lot of work) (the teeth will be changed out this weekend for molded pieces)
20140424_201050_resized.jpg20140501_000413_resized.jpg20140428_214856_resized.jpg20140428_214901_resized.jpg20140501_000428_resized_2.jpg20140502_115942_resized (1).jpg20140502_120055_resized.jpg20140502_120034_resized.jpg20140502_152319_resized.jpg

Web Shooter pre-plans

A hollow chamber for loading my "webbing cartridge" will be disguised by venom's classic white rectangle located on the back of his hand. a shark bite coupling will be used to secure flexible nylon pressure tubing to the chamber on one end and a 16g co2 pump/ discharger on the other. The Co2 pump will be in-closed in the control box disguised on my hip. The "Webbing cartridge" will contain a specialized streamer pack. The control box will also house the primer for the saliva tubing and the toggle switch for the tong motor.
20140502_125007_resized.jpg20140502_125019_resized.jpginnovations-ultraflate-plus-zoom.jpg58027p.jpgsharkbite-endstop-wm.jpg

worked on the jaw and eye tonight.
20140502_235516_resized.jpg20140503_001738_resized.jpg20140503_001747_resized.jpg20140503_001757_resized.jpg

starting to look like venom. but still needs work

Looks like it is time to do the rest of the body.......
venom-suit-help-vinom-final-picks-002-jpg-327881d1400211691t

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I thought about foam latex but was worried about the size of the project and the baking. I also was worried about the tear factor with movement around the joints. I have never worked with it and am open to suggestions.

Just slip a spandex bodysuit over your core before you fill the mold with foam, and you'll have plenty of durability. If you don't have the space to bake large pieces, just break the sculpture down into smaller ones.

I plan on sculpting the body form then I will use a two peace mold to cast it in latex. I will then stretch a muscle suit over the body part and re insert it into the two peace mold. I then plan to use Smooth-On Flex Foam-iT! X to fill the void. But if you now of a cheaper or easier method i am always open to suggestions.

I have to say, I'm really impressed. Venom is one of my all time favorite comic book characters and masks I've seen in the past never seemed to get it quite right. On the fully enveloped side, he just looks so classic! And the other side is also very impressive. Not to mention a very practical way to deal with being able to see out of the mask. Will you be using a morph suit for the rest of the body? Also, are you hitting the gym for an Eddie Brock physique, or are you going with a Peter Parker just as he learns the Symbiote's true nature feel? Either way, very cool. Fantastic job!

I have to say, I'm really impressed. Venom is one of my all time favorite comic book characters and masks I've seen in the past never seemed to get it quite right. On the fully enveloped side, he just looks so classic! And the other side is also very impressive. Not to mention a very practical way to deal with being able to see out of the mask. Will you be using a morph suit for the rest of the body? Also, are you hitting the gym for an Eddie Brock physique, or are you going with a Peter Parker just as he learns the Symbiote's true nature feel? Either way, very cool. Fantastic job!

Thank you so much. Hard to capture the right side on film but you can see it a little better on my youtube post seems to work well in person.

Very cool. I was Venom for Halloween two years ago. Love the character. This is a very cool rendition you're doing. Love the symbiote strands from the shoulder to the head trying to grab hold.
uploadfromtaptalk1401160106951.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Very cool. I was Venom for Halloween two years ago. Love the character. This is a very cool rendition you're doing. Love the symbiote strands from the shoulder to the head trying to grab hold.
View attachment 330524

Thank you. The tendrils are difficult to make from clay so i started using wire and will cote them in silicone to give them a more life like appearance. I have been toying with the idea of having one or two tendrils attached to a solenoid so that i could to get them to flick back and forth with a toggle switch. But that will come later as I have a Lot of work to do before august.

Last edited:
I started doing some test trials with Smooth-On's Rebound 25 for building my mold today. So far so good if every thing comes out good i should be able to fully form the mold tomorrow. I have also started the trial process with their FlexFoam-6 to lair between the finished Dragon Skin and my fabric underlay. I Just doped $500 on product so if any of you have worked with Smooth-On and have any advice to keep me from making costly mistakes i would love to hear it. I should be able to post some picks tomorrow.

? Will Rebound 25 cure if it come in contact with Vaseline

Last edited:
Well Boys and Girls The Natural air dry clay from Micheals art supply must contain sulfur because My Rebound 25 will not cure on it. :( I hope i did not waste all that time sculpting for nothing. I am going to try and seal it with clear acrylic spray to see is if the thin barrier will allow the Rebound 25 to cure on top of it. I will also do a test aria with spray paint over the clay to see which works better or at all.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back