Rens' 2014 Jan-Feb Sculpture Contest Entry

Rens

Hi everyone!

I'll be sculpting Otachi from Pacific Rim for my contest entry, using Monster Clay over a wire armature. Just ordered the art book for references and I'll probably get sculpting later this week. I'm very excited!!

I've got a background in art, but I've only been sculpting for a couple of years (my degrees are in painting and multimedia). I usually sculpt masks, but I just finished up a Velociraptor head (taxidermy mount) sculpt that I am pretty happy with (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152196320897079&set=pcb.10152196350082079&type=1&theater) and want to do more sculpting.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's work!

I finally had about an hour and a half to start blocking out my Otachi sculpt. Right now, she looks like a giant turd, so I'm having serious misgivings, but I'm trying to convince myself that she's just in her "ugly phase". I need to block out her torso and head so that she has more accurate proportions.

Since it's not obvious, she'll be posed hunched over Cherno Alpha, partially submerged in the ocean (maybe you can tell from my sketch). Sorry for my messy kitchen table!
IMG_6649.JPGIMG_6647.JPGIMG_6646.JPGIMG_6650.JPG

I couldn't work on Otachi the last couple of weeks because I was swamped with work, but I should be able to use the rest of the time before the contest to make some serious headway!
Anyway, started refining the head and arms today.
IMG_6740.JPGIMG_6739.jpg

Thanks Jackdaw and Nygiant!

I put in some more hours on Otachi today, carved out the clay around her back legs, started roughing in Cherno Alpha. Also need to figure out how to render the ocean waves so they read as ocean waves

IMG_6811.JPGIMG_6812.JPGIMG_6813.JPG

Thanks! To be honest, I think the kaiju are the best part of the movie, besides Ron Perlman- of course :)
I love all their different designs (which is why I chose to sculpt one!)

Today I made some serious headway on the texture. I'm going to hit it with some Isopropyl Myristate to smooth it down and give it more of a fleshy look, but I want to get all the texture down first.
IMG_6840.JPG

Awesome Rens! The Kaiju had some pretty awesome designs, looking forward to the final outcome. You still gonna do the water in clay?

Awesome Rens! The Kaiju had some pretty awesome designs, looking forward to the final outcome. You still gonna do the water in clay?
Thank you! (Your work is pretty damn amazing too!)
I'm still planning on doing the water, though I'm waiting until I have all of Otachi's textures carved, so I can clean up the base. So hopefully today or tomorrow :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great job! It's really coming together nicely.
Thank you! It's been a really great learning experience!

Finished Sculpture! It's on a 12"x12" base and is approximately 8 inches tall (including the base). There is no photo manipulation done on these pictures except for cropping.

Finished pictures:
IMG_6850.JPGIMG_6852.JPGIMG_6853.JPGIMG_6855.JPGIMG_6857.JPGIMG_6858.JPGIMG_6863.JPGIMG_6867.JPGIMG_6868.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

And here's a low quality video turnaround (sorry about the awful sound!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay Rens! Such an action shot, I love the fact that it doesn't matter what side you're looking at, it's always interesting.

really great work on this. the water is awesome. i would have had no idea how to sculpt it. really really awesome!

Thank you so much everyone! The sculpture was definitely a great learning experience. Xdmray - It's really good to see you on this board! Thanks for the comment :D

Everyone's sculpts are so amazing, this was really a fun contest!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back