Gonna get me some purpose to sculpt - updated 30/03/13. Adding the clsy

claymore61

So then.....
I've been messing about trying various things etc but I'm gonna get some motivation.
I'm going on a cruise in September and part of the cruise is a " pirate party " in fancy dress.
After seeningthe bust made in the post

http://www.therpf.com/f24/davy-jones-mask-updated-12-22-a-29596/index2.html

I want to make a replica costume of Davy Jones.

I'll put it up here for viewing but please be gentle - I've only sculpted a couple of things so far.

Anyway the plan is to go through the whole gambit from face casting to finished mask in latex or silicone.

It's a project so bear with me...lol

All advice ( technical or artistic) is welcome.

First up is a face casting

Weird experience

Last edited:
Re: Gonna get me some purpose to sculpt

After a bit of cleaning I was left with a mould, which was then cast in plaster.
I've worked with casting plaster before so I'm quite familiar with it.
I found the best way is to throw some mixed plaster into the mould, keep slopping it around over the full " mask", then let it set for about 10 mins or so , this gives a thin detail layer.
I then mix the plaster again, and mix in some fibreglass chopped strands. This makes it extremely strong , whilst keeping weight and water content down.

I'm left with a weird feeling when I look at the finished face.

This will be mounted onto a polystyrene mannequin head later, to finish off the first stage

Hi.
Nice face cast! I'm trying to get the misses to cast my face this week, as
I'm putting my face onto my Robocop Bust.
Your mask would look great if you use silicone as it move's more realistic.. especially with the squid like tentacles.
Will look forward to seeing how it looks.

one wee tip before you get your missus to slap it on........
make sure you get some sign language agreed beforehand lol

I was thinking of using a large straw in my mouth as She hasn't done anything like this before..
Also I need to sculpt some Robocop features into my face So i look like Robocop,
I plan to pour NSP chavant into the mould straight away, as i will take a plaster mould
of the finished Sculpt.

I will post some pictures when i finished the Sculpt.
Look forward to see how you get on with your Davey Jones project

i started using (wait for it)
2 straws topped with a wee bit of plasticene in my nose, but they just got in the way.
we just carefully put it round the nose leaving breathing holes.
then i used plaster bandages from hobbycraft.
they were cheap at a quid each and i only used 2 cut up into strips.

i made a mess of it a couple of times before i gotit right, but if i was doing it again, i' d use platinum silicon.

The "face mask" plastered onto a polystyrene head and covered in some strengthened plaster.

I'm thinking of making a latex mould of the finished life head, then a copy head before trying to sculpt up the clay onto it.
It'll take a wee bit longer, but it's just in case I mess up the original.

Once again it's a bit disconcerting seeing your head in a bucket!! :(

Off to a good start!

A couple of years ago, someone was dressed as Davy Jones at Dragon*Con, and did a spectacular job of it, so I know it can be done.

So the lifecasting is screwed to a board and I've started to coat in latex.
I would normally put on 4 or five standard coats, then 2 or 3 thickened coats then another couple of standard ones to knit it all together.:D

Next stage would be the mother mould or hard case , which I'll probably make from plaster bandages for this one - just for quickness

I do use fibreglass for some other moulds, but i'll probably use plaster for this one. I'll see how I feel at the time lol

Quite a challenging piece. Loving the sign language hint, I was only mindful of greasing up any hairy parts, but I guess that is equally important.
Looking forward to following this with great intrigue.

Quite a challenging piece. Loving the sign language hint, I was only mindful of greasing up any hairy parts, but I guess that is equally important.
Looking forward to following this with great intrigue.

The sign language becomes particularly interesting if you dont grease up your hairy face bits properly :D

Ok now at the mother mould stage.

14 coats of latex painted onto the plaster life casting.
It's made up of 10 standard layers and 4 thickened layers in between some of the standard ones

Ok then,
Master cast, latex mould, and hard case all together, just about to re assemble and do the first cast for the armature

This is the first pour of plaster and I used a rotational casting method to slunge it all round the inside of the latex mould.
After that I made up some plaster mixed with fibreglass chopped ends to strengthen the cast. I'll leave it for a while now to harden off, before peeling off the latex mould

Re: Gonna get me some purpose to sculpt - UPDATE - 30/03/13 CLAY GOING ONv

So here it is, started to put the clay on.
I love this clay.:D. It's a bit harder to work with but I like the way it works.

I've discovered I might need to slightly alter the proportions about the nose just a tad - because it's to be a mask that's to fit over my nose.:facepalm but I'll play with it a bit.

Onwards and upwards

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back