digital509's 2014 Jun-Jul Sculpture Contest Entry

digital509

Hey gang! I am calling my contest entry "Hawk O' the Sea" full sized head that if it turns out well, I'd love to try my hand at latex casting. Influenced by the logo of my state's Super Bowl champions.

Other than playing around with play dough and a little super sculpey, this is my first serious attempt at a sculpt. I have wanted to get into sculpting for years but never had the space, money, time, etc. I at least have some space now, so that will have to do. I ordered myself up 10 lbs of Monster Clay and got to work with knowledge learned on the RPF.

With triple digit temps right now I have found that I can leave the Monster Clay tub out in the sun to soften it up.

And now, a couple progress pics:

After several hours of building up, shaping, and trying to become comfortable with different clay tools..
sculpt1.jpg

Reshaped quite a bit and having fun practicing with textures..
sculpt2.jpg

Having a lot of fun with this. Working the beak will give me the opportunity to learn smoothing techniques. Hopefully will have some more progress this weekend. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
A little progress the last few days. Mainly texture experimenting, smoothing, and shape adjustment. Getting a little annoyed with the white spots of clay that are appearing in the Monster Clay but trying to work it out and blend it in.
sculpt3.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back