World War Z (Post-release)

Thats a shame as the book is good enough to deserve a true adaptation. I thoroughly enjoyed the audio book on a cross country greyhound trip (quite a hellish trip, I wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy) so much that I listened to it twice back to back which is 12 hours give or take a few minutes and had my warhammer 40k book to fill in the rest of the 3 day trip. I do still hope to enjoy the movie for what it is as I like to go into movies with an open mind. Thanks for the info guys!

Wow, who woulda thought:

Its $66M domestic cume is the the biggest opening for an original live action film since Avatar, according to Paramount.

Paramount actually issued a press release to say this weekend’s opening is the biggest of Brad’s career.

Monsters University' Global Total $136.5M: #1 N.A. With $82M For Pixar's 2nd Biggest; 'World War Z' Zombies $112M Worldwide: $66M Domestic Is Biggest Opening For Original Live Action Film Since 'Avatar' - Deadline.com

Hollywood (and just about everybody else) thought Paramount’s opening of 3D World War Z (3,607 theaters), co-financed with Skydance Productions in association with Hemisphere Media Capital and GK Films, would flop. Instead, the zombie epic epidemic based on Max Brooks’ plague novel stunned with a $112M worldwide total. Its $66M domestic cume is the the biggest opening for an original live action film since Avatar, according to Paramount. And its $46M international cume represents 25 markets which is only about 30% of the foreign marketplace. Top performers were Korea with $10.3M, UK with $7.1M, and Korea $5.5M.

Placing a much bigger-than-expected #2, pic received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from U.S. audiences which helped word of mouth so it overperformed with $25.0M Friday and $22.6M Saturday. It even grossed a decent $3.6M in 2,600 screens for Thursday 8 PM previews and midnight late shows. That has Paramount’s moguls giddy with relief after all that pre-release bad buzz for producer and star Brad Pitt an his Plan B banner – especially since the studio claims statistics show only one original live action movie a year opens at $50+M. (“Franchises open bigger but originals play to better multiples as people start discovering them,” one exec tells me.) Paramount actually issued a press release to say this weekend’s opening is the biggest of Brad’s career – but I say not when 2005′s Mr And Mrs Smith ($50.3M) debut is adjusted for inflation and the 2D vs 3D ticket price. Pic also benefitted from a spot-on marketing plan savvy enough to book in advance 2 spots promoting Friday’s official debut during Thursday’s big Miami-San Antonio NBA final game. That became the 2nd most watched series end in pro basketball history. (More WWZ below)

Sounds like great news to me. Perhaps a sequel to the film, and more importantly perhaps a slim chance the book might actually be revisited for a series.

I think Jeyl means that material that would normally be R rated such as zombie movies will be dumbed down to pg13 to make money off teenagers. I think it's why the DVDs are usually unrated, they film the stuff but don't put it in theaters so they can get kids in with cash and then make money off us old farts with the unrated dvds with all the gore back in.

I think Jeyl means that material that would normally be R rated such as zombie movies will be dumbed down to pg13 to make money off teenagers. I think it's why the DVDs are usually unrated, they film the stuff but don't put it in theaters so they can get kids in with cash and then make money off us old farts with the unrated dvds with all the gore back in.

I see. Well the producers of this film seem to have made a choice to be more mass market and avoid the R rating but considering the Walking Dead airs on AMC with a lot of gore, I don;t think we are seeing a paradigm shift in how horror genre films are marketed. Hell wasn't it Temple of Doom or Gremlins that ushered in PG-13 I'm going to try and see this tomorrow.

I saw this on Friday night. I was pleasantly surprised that I liked it as much as I did. I knew it had very little to do with the book and the CGI of the swarming Zeke's shown in the trailers put me off at first. I think that starting a little slower with the zombie action and then ramping it up for the frenzied insect like swarms made it much more believable on screen. I enjoyed it enough that I hope that they do make a sequel, WWZII.

Randy in San Diego

trailer 1
radio2zw.jpg

trailer 2
radio1lr.jpg

that scene with guns is in the movie

I still think it would have been cool if they did it a'la Band of Brothers style and made it a mini series.

I doubt Ill run out to see the sequel though.

It was beter than I thought it would be. Normally I like my zombie flicks rated R and gory, but the softer rating and virtually complete absense of gore didn't seem to hurt things. Whether it's a marketing ploy or not, I don't know, but it didn't take away from the overall impact of the story. The ending di seem a little weak, but the alleged original ending sounds like it would have been far, far worse. I didn't leave the theater feeling cheated, but I'm probably not going to run right out and see the sequel.

Sounds like great news to me. Perhaps a sequel to the film, and more importantly perhaps a slim chance the book might actually be revisited for a series.

I'd doubt it. They grabbed up the name and used it for it's hype and then didn't even focus on the book. Granted they could give it a new name similar to what happened with the last air bender but I really doubt this company is going to share and if they do get a sequel out of this, that's going to be their focus, I don't think they'd shift gears and focus on the book so there goes any chance of any visual media really based on the books happening any time soon if ever.

I really didn't follow the production too closely as I lost interest in the stuff I was hearing and was kind of getting tired of the whole zombie craze but if this write up is accurate.. man.. what a hellish development this thing has had.

Brad Pitt?s Battle to Make World War Z: Inside the Drama, Re-writes, and Reshoots | Vanity Fair

Here is an interesting question (at least to me), do zombie movies need to be rated R and gory to be good? How many people who saw this movie and were disappointed more because of the lack of gore as opposed to lack of narrative?

Definitely the absence of an R rating hurt this film. No blood, no anxiety or scares... It felt flat, CG was obvious.The "hoard" scenes had no weight to them. PG-13 so called horror films never deliver. I should have known better.

Saw it today and was pretty underwhelmed. The zombies in hive-form were neat to watch, but any time it was an individual zed or close-up, it looked terrible. The PG-13 rating hurt things too as I really didn't feel scared or anxious at any point.

I thought Pitt and Enos were pretty good though, but it's too bad Matthew Fox and James Dale Badge didn't have longer roles. I really wanted to see the Battle of Yonkers played out too.

I loved the book, have my copy signed by Max Brooks, and I enjoyed the movie quite a lot, despite the lack of fidelity. I hope the sequel gets made.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back