Veronica Mars (Movie, Season 4...)

I am just repeating some things which has already been mentioned before.

It's not a initiative from WB, it's all Rob Thomas. The movie talk is been going for years, with no real support from WB. The actual budget will be more than $2 million. Rob did this Kickstarter so that the studio is convinced there is a huge potential for a movie and in turn fans get the perks they chose to have for supporting the project. Yet I have seen people online say this is all a con. For $35 you get a digital copy of the film few days after the theatrical release, t-shirt and PDF copy of the script. How is this a con?

well i guess the fans get a reward by getting their movie made.

That's essentially it. They want to see more and they're willing to pay for it. Sure, the producers may bank, but the fans will have more of the things they love with the notion that they helped make it happen. Imagine if this sort of thing happened with Firefly.

Exactly. It's an emerging business model -- committed fans who are willing to pay a premium to get more content made. The money they pledge won't be transferred unless and until the film is actually made, so I don't see a downside to this in the slightest.

It may be that the Kickstarter page is a little misleading in terms of the nuts and bolts of what it'll take to produce this, but still, it actually gives fans a greater voice than their $10 ticket covers, and lets them speak up on the front end.

I see this kind of thing as a really hopeful development for (A) getting Hollywood to greenlight what they consider "risky" productions, and (B) for fans of niche properties to get more content.

I mean, how many people on this board or the Browncoats boards out there wouldn't have been happy to pay upwards of $60 for a new Firefly season?

There are other payment and delivery mechanisms that studios can use, but they've been slow to adopt them (e.g., subscription based models, or pay-up-front models). Instead of mass-production and producing for the masses, niche production for consumers who are willing to pay a premium.

This kind of thing exists in other entertainment/luxury markets, but part of the problem with the entertainment market is that it has, traditionally, been a one-size-fits-all affair. Everyone, from the committed hardcore fan to the blase dilettante, pays the same amount. $4 for a comic. $10 for a movie ticket. $10 for a CD or digital album. And so on. But consider the car or liquor industries. Sure you've got your Toyota Corollas. But you've also got Lamborghinis and all manner of stuff in between. Sure, you've got Turning Leaf and Fetzer and >gag< Yellowtail. But you've also got Ch. Margaux, Leoville-Poyferre, and d'Yquem. There's a market for consumers who want to pay more money for what they believe is higher quality product.

The entertainment industry, however, is doing the equivalent of having its consumers pay Toyota prices, and it being anyone's guess as to whether you're gonna get a Lamborghini or a Yugo that's missing a wheel. I see Kickstarter as one avenue to change that.

I am just repeating some things which has already been mentioned before.

It's not a initiative from WB, it's all Rob Thomas. The movie talk is been going for years, with no real support from WB. The actual budget will be more than $2 million. Rob did this Kickstarter so that the studio is convinced there is a huge potential for a movie and in turn fans get the perks they chose to have for supporting the project. Yet I have seen people online say this is all a con. For $35 you get a digital copy of the film few days after the theatrical release, t-shirt and PDF copy of the script. How is this a con?

Actually this is where i have the most issue. Promising things beyond the standard distribution deal ..especially when no distribution deal is set in place. This is where the fine print comes into play. A writer/Producer cant make the call to distribute for free or trade a digital copy of the film without their distributor's deal in place. For example. Warner decides to delay VOD to same day as DVD. They sure as hell wont want digital copies of their film being sent out within days of theatrical release. The potential pirating would harm their VOD/DVD release. That one right there is sort of a false promise hidden behind the small print. and the small print is there in his kickstarted bio. Also ..the kickstarter money is billed at the goal date which they have met ..so at 30 days you will see a charge..regardless of the film going into production when he hopes or not.

Actually this is where i have the most issue. Promising things beyond the standard distribution deal ..especially when no distribution deal is set in place.

They sure as hell wont want digital copies of their film being sent out within days of theatrical release. The potential pirating would harm their VOD/DVD release.
Yeah the digital release during the same time as theatrical run did make me wonder if they will change that strategy later on. But as long as fans are getting the digital version eventually, I don't see their offerings being far fetched. Rob's statement about meeting WB suggests that the studio is aware of what is being offered.

"Of course, Warner Bros. still owns Veronica Mars and we would need their blessing and cooperation to pull this off. Kristen and I met with the Warner Bros. brass, and they agreed to allow us to take this shot. They were extremely cool about it, as a matter of fact. Their reaction was, if you can show there’s enough fan interest to warrant a movie, we’re on board. So this is it. This is our shot. I believe it's the only one we've got. It's nerve-wracking. I suppose we could fail in spectacular fashion, but there's also the chance that we completely revolutionize how projects like ours can get made. No Kickstarter project ever has set a goal this high. It's up to you, the fans, now. If the project is successful, our plan is to go into production this summer and the movie will be released in early 2014."

"Distribution is always a challenge with low-budget films, but Warner Bros. is going to help us distribute the movie, and try to get it out there as widely as possible.

With respect to rewards fulfillment, we will be working with a professional fulfillment partner to get all your DVDs, digital downloads, and other goodies delivered safely and on schedule.

I’ll be sending regular updates about our progress to all backers, so you’ll be the first to know about what’s going on.
"

"Distribution schedule not finalized, but Kickstarter backers at $35 and above will receive a digital version of the film within a few days of the theatrical premiere. Digital version available through Flixster. We may add other popular digital retailers and we’ll keep you posted."

In the coming weeks they are looking at options to offer the goodies to international fans as well.

Kickstarter is about a great idea that NEEDS your help to get off the ground ..a situation where the starter cant do it without your help. Im sorry ..I just dont feel that Warner Brothers falls into that category

Warner Brothers certainly isn't the first. Kickstarter began as a great idea, just as you said. It is an alternate way to get seed money without going through traditional investing routes. However, it has turned into little more than another place for people to panhandle and obtain a hand out.

"Help me build my next costume."

"Help me get to my next convention."

Ugh...

Warner Brothers certainly isn't the first. Kickstarter began as a great idea, just as you said. It is an alternate way to get seed money without going through traditional investing routes. However, it has turned into little more than another place for people to panhandle and obtain a hand out.

"Help me build my next costume."

"Help me get to my next convention."

Ugh...

I understand where you are coming from, but keep in mind that it's not the people who create the kickstarter campaign that are to blame for the panhandling. It's the people who actually contribute. Blame them for making it possible to do such things.

I understand where you are coming from, but keep in mind that it's not the people who create the kickstarter campaign that are to blame for the panhandling. It's the people who actually contribute. Blame them for making it possible to do such things.

Ehhh... yes, those people are enablers (or gullible), but I am more annoyed with those misusing the system and expecting a handout to fund their own personal projects as opposed to projects that benefit the masses.

Ehhh... yes, those people are enablers (or gullible), but I am more annoyed with those misusing the system and expecting a handout to fund their own personal projects as opposed to projects that benefit the masses.

Given the number of personal projects that seem to get funded, it would seem that we (yes, we, because I feel the same way) are in the minority...

Given the number of personal projects that seem to get funded, it would seem that we (yes, we, because I feel the same way) are in the minority...

It never fails to amaze me. I just wonder how far you could take it. I want to post something like; help my dog pay for our house... and see what kind of money I could raise... for nothing at all other than people giving me money. Sadly, people would probably send money.

It never fails to amaze me. I just wonder how far you could take it. I want to post something like; help my dog pay for our house... and see what kind of money I could raise... for nothing at all other than people giving me money. Sadly, people would probably send money.

It the same problem I see with people who pimp out their vehicles to ludicrous levels.

I call it the "Too Many Dollars, Not Enough Sense" Syndrome.

Veronica Mars Movie

Art.. If I help your dog pay for your house.. What do I get back for my donation ( please say an autographed pic of Chubbs and a copy of the deed to your house)

:)

I guess I don't see a problem with it. Someone wants to give someone else some cash to go to a con? >shrug< Knock yourself out, man. Nobody's MAKING you give money away, ya know?

I mean, so it's panhandling. So what? Are you surfing Kickstarter for worthy causes and keep finding yourself harassed by virtual panhandlers? If not, I can't really see a reason to object to it. It's not as if the panhandling is drawing away vital resources from a "legitimate" project. I mean, I agree that it's lame for some 15 year old kid to be like "Gimme $5 to turn my crappy art project into what will probably be a crappy video game," but....you don't have to give the kid anything.

The only danger posed by the panhandling stuff is that someone ends up feeling like they got screwed by the experience, at which point they become turned off to the whole model altogether, across all ranges of options. Even then, though, I'd expect folks would simply say "that guy screwed me," rather than "Kickstarter is BS" across the board.

I really don't see this Kickstarter/Veronica Mars thing as much different than the Premium membership here.

Both are to support something that someone likes... be it an online forum or a long gone television program.

You receive a token for your support... be it expanded PM space, fewer ads or a pdf of the script, digital download or whatever.

Frankly, I am in awe of how this kickstarter worked for VM. It goes to show you that online fandom can work and work well when the oppurtunity presents itself.

Last edited:
The Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter Campaign: Don't You Dare Feel Bad About Chipping In - TVLine

The self righteous comments like "Wouldn’t that money have been better donated to a charity?" really baffles me. Heck that way all our money is better off giving to charities especially to third world countries where basic living amenities are a scarcity.

I wonder if the people making those comments would be willing to give up all their monetary pleasures in life to help others. Money spent for a meal at a restaurant and a movie ticket would likely help someone get clean drinking water in other parts of the world. So yeah forgo all monetary wealth and pleasures in life that personally matter to you, cause there is someone always more deserving of that wealth than you.

Exclusive: Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas on the wildly successful Kickstarter movie campaign
In-Depth interview with Rob Thomas which also addresses some of the concerns and criticism the project has faced so far.

Warner Bros. Greenlights VERONICA MARS Movie, Production Budget to Come from Kickstarter | Collider
Warner Bros. has green lighted the film and apparently the production budget will all come from the Kickstarter funds, while the studio will help with the distribution and promotion.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back