TRON Legacy question thread

I think we will go around and around in circles on this one.

No we won't, because I think you're probably right, that it's a remnant of a missing scene. :) I just think it's interesting that in a lot of the criticisms I've been reading here and elsewhere, this line reading keeps coming up, and I just don't see the level of importance placed on it, since it's delivered as an aside on the way out of a scene. I mean, it's almost a "I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home; they're not much bigger than two meters" level of dialogue. We don't need to see womp rats, and we don't need to see Flynn's cycle actually be the fastest thing on the Grid.

Which is probably why they cut it, if such a trim was made.

Since this is not a weekly edition of a paper or comic that can wrap up off-handed comments from the main characters, almost EVERY line is crucial to the plot.

This, however, sure is an interesting view of cinema. :) Don't tell QT.

- Quora mentions that the lightcycle is fast and that is exactly what Sam needed to get back to "town" quickly without being detected.

- The light cycle was paying tribute to the first movie.

- I pictured GEM being similar to 7 of 9. She still had the need to recharge in her little charging station. The clothes was probably not clothes like we are thinking of but more a cover for her circuits.

Every time a movie discussion goes in this direction on here, I try to imagine you all discussing The Karate Kid in the same fashion. Cuz you know, every line Daniel-san said had a specific meaning that foreshadowed something or explained a new facet of his character. It's like high school English class on this forum, and everybody's the teacher. Movies CAN be entertaining some time, they don't have to be some kind of snobbish high art meant only for the elite.

Anyway, maybe the programs' light cycles couldn't leave the grid simply because they weren't programmed for it. Just because Flynn's light cycle didn't have big ol' treads on the tires doesn't mean it wasn't programmed for off-road. They're inside a computer, so nothing has to look a certain way.

It's all probably bits left over from an earlier draft of the script.

I was noticing; Flynn can affect the 'reality' of the grid, like Neo. Quorra is like Trinity. Clu is like Smith. 'Ziggy Stardust' and Gem are like the Merovingian and his wife.

True! Remember how the vehicle Quora was driving when she rescued Sam had the capability of going from Arena to Offroad simply at the push of a button.

Flynn just needs to make sure that if Quora takes that vehicle out again she needs to "wax on wax off!"

There are more potential payoffs than the obvious. Saying something is "the fastest on the grid" does not necessitate that this is visually depicted later. It says something about her, something about her relationship with Flynn, depending how the audience accepts it. You want to know how I took it? Since there wasn't even a SINGLE closeup of the vehicle as they were talking about it, and we were instead looking at Flynn. Her words were of the cycle, but she was talking about him. The old man isn't just a recluse.

Like how Sam isn't really talking about the sun.

Every time a movie discussion goes in this direction on here, I try to imagine you all discussing The Karate Kid in the same fashion. Cuz you know, every line Daniel-san said had a specific meaning that foreshadowed something or explained a new facet of his character.

Anyway, maybe the programs' light cycles couldn't leave the grid simply because they weren't programmed for it. Just because Flynn's light cycle didn't have big ol' treads on the tires doesn't mean it wasn't programmed for off-road. They're inside a computer, so nothing has to look a certain way.

I have to agree there. Small talk does not automatically mean that said small talk references something later in the film or story.

Well, my only point there was that they made sure to show the Light Runner changing for the terrain it was moving to and Quorra made sure to mention the reason why they couldn't follow was at LEAST partly due to the terrain. That being the case a Recognizer should be able to follow because it can fly over it and the Light Cycle shouldn't be able to drive on it. If a Light Cycle CAN drive on it without the terrain being an issue then why did the Light Runner need to change the wheels to be bigger and also raise itself up higher to add ground clearance? Why couldn't Clu's Black Guards follow on Light Cycles? If it's a programming issue why couldn't the Recognizers fly over it? Is it that the vehicles they use rely on power from the Grid? If so, then why later on was Clu able to just so easily fly his command ship over to Flynn's hideout? If the vehicles he had couldn't follow then why suddenly could his command ship? If it was JUST because he didn't know where it was, why couldn't he have flown his command ship after them and just watch where the GLOWING CAR in a PITCH BLACK WILDERNESS was going?

I hate to sound like I'm picking it apart as i love this film but I didn't have to think very hard to notice this. XD

Last edited:
It's like high school English class on this forum, and everybody's the teacher. Movies CAN be entertaining some time, they don't have to be some kind of snobbish high art meant only for the elite.

It's wierd huh? It's like you stumbled onto a "forum" that has members that like to discuss movies... What a strange place this would be if this was a website dedicated to movies, movie props, costumes from movies and what not. WAIT A SECOND....:rolleyes

IF that's true it was a poorly planned line as it came at a time where Sam's character was information gathering about his father and the audience was paying attention.

That's what I thought. I will bet there is a deleted scene somewhere.

I'd put money on there having originally been a second lightcycle chase scene; either in place of the flyer chase or in addition to it. Quorra's line just plays as a clear, open piece of foreshadowing.

Sam also grabs the spare pair of handlebars, so it looked as if he'd be paired up with Kevin or Quorra.

The big question might be "was the 'give the bike to the hobo' scene from a reshoot?", meaning the putative second chase scene is a complete orphan now...or was it always given away, then picked up again later somehow? ? I'm hoping for the latter, and that the chase scene was finished and scored before being cut. :)

If not then we'll only get storyboards in a behind-the-scenes special, they'll never finish any half-completed stuff for this. Unless it's picked up since the weekend it looks like it's not going to make quite enough money to be a success. :(

If it's a flop, I hope it's a Blade Runner-style flop...

I'd put money on there having originally been a second lightcycle chase scene; either in place of the flyer chase or in addition to it. Quorra's line just plays as a clear, open piece of foreshadowing.

Sam also grabs the spare pair of handlebars, so it looked as if he'd be paired up with Kevin or Quorra.

The big question might be "was the 'give the bike to the hobo' scene from a reshoot?", meaning the putative second chase scene is a complete orphan now...or was it always given away, then picked up again later somehow? ? I'm hoping for the latter, and that the chase scene was finished and scored before being cut. :)

If not then we'll only get storyboards in a behind-the-scenes special, they'll never finish any half-completed stuff for this. Unless it's picked up since the weekend it looks like it's not going to make quite enough money to be a success. :(

If it's a flop, I hope it's a Blade Runner-style flop...

I can see that being possible and the film makers said "Man, we already DID a Lightcycle thing earlier...maybe we should try something else...like...what if we did a Lightcycle type chase...IN THE AIIIIR!!! And the...let's call them LIGHTFIGHTERS, well they even leave a jet-wall behind them as a weapon while they fly!" and the rest as they say, is history! XD

And yes, a Bladerunner style flop IF indeed it does flop is good to me. I already like it as much as Bladerunner anyway XD

Even Penny-Arcade have questions:

1134132281_DztUi-L.jpg

That's funny.
I wondered about the nightclub right in the theater and decided it's where they come to 'unwind' so it's like a diagnostic/repair program, with a chat room.

The train is taking soldiers to the Portal, and they were lucky to hop it..yeah, that's it.

Clothes can be created from nothing. It's all just ones and zeros. [except quorra.]

gay= quirky?? A quirky program?

Water? Yeah they should want energy. Unless you could get too much, like an overcharged battery.

Water? Yeah they should want energy. Unless you could get too much, like an overcharged battery.

The "water" in the original film was actually an "pool of energy." And that was with the original Encom server. For the new Grid Flynn made, they may not have had anything like that (if it were the case, then CLU and Tron would have overloaded when they landed in it). So, it's possible the rain is something else.

By the way Gem probably didn't go to the End of Line Club a whole lot. She probably never been there except one time before. By the way it seems, a lot of programs were looking for the Zeus program and it appears that everyone would know Castor because he knows Zeus. So, since Sam was looking for Castor, it'd make sense that a lot of programs would know him because of the fact that people know him for knowing Zeus and where to find him. As I took it, Castor and the End of Line Club were sort of like the Rick Blaine and "Rick's Café Américain" from "Casablanca," a place where everyone knows of it and who runs it. And the fact that Quorra gave him an "End of Line Club" coaster probably helped a little bit.

About the clothes thing pointed out in the Penny Arcade, the guy who came up with it must have NOT been paying attention to the film. The clothes are DIGITAL, which means that there is no clothes dresser and that the only thing that needs to be done could clearly be able to access a simple subroutine by standing somewhere that has it (i.e. the platform where Sam stood and they formed his suit after they removed his original clothes). Or the clothes drawer are built into the walls, like we see in the prep room at the Game Grid and Quorra's room.

And Quorra never said that the Portal was hard to get to. She said that Flynn, "put it way out here just to make sure no program accidentally slipped through." There's a big difference in that. Not to mention the fact that the Train may have been something installed there over the years, and was just heading in the general direction of the portal, where they would have probably ended up huffing it on foot just to get there.

Trying to make sense of all of this is like trying to make sense of time travel.

Time travel makes sense compared with that darn "fastest lightcycle" line.

I leaned over at the moment that line was said and remarked, "That's going to be important later. WINK!" That line made me a liar.

If we're going to make the small talk argument, trying to fill space while giving a tour, a simple "He built it himself" or "It's the only one that can drive off grid" would work fine without throwing the false and confusing foreshadowing. Simple ADR would have fixed that in post when they realized they had to pull the lightcycle scene. (If they did)

NERDFIGHT!!!

Here's a real question: Do you think that the patrons at the End of Line Club can get a *TAB*? Ehhh? EHHHHH?

-Nick

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back