Thor: The Dark World (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Thor: The Dark World movie discussion with spoilers.

Thor: The Dark World got released in UK and other countries on October 30, while few other countries are getting it on October 31. US release is on November 8.

Thor: The Dark World Official Trailer HD

Release Date: November 8, 2013.

Synopsis: Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.

Director: Alan Taylor
Writers: Christopher Yost, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely, Don Payne (Story), Robert Rodat (Story).
Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Christopher Eccleston, Jaimie Alexander, Zachary Levi, Ray Stevenson, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Rene Russo, Stellan Skarsgard.

IMDB: Thor: The Dark World (2013) - IMDb

10599231044_0358356608_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the very good news is this is another strong steed from the Marvel stables and when it finally kicks the barn door down it just storms out there.
I saw it last night ( Halloween and fair weather meant the cinema was pretty empty for a Marvel film!!!) and I have to say the 3D worked very well , the usually blurring of detail in the action sequences just didn’t seem to happen and it looked absolutely fantastic (I liked the new opening style for the Marvel logo). I even flinched when the hammer flew out the screen (more than once I might add).
Is it as great as the first Thor? That depends on your tastes. Its certainly more epic than the first , the action sequences are far more frequent and so is the humor , though I thought overall it wasn’t as emotionally honest or as directionally strong as in the original or Avengers and therefore felt much more staged. But it was dead funny at times, no doubt about it, I liked Thors manners when he visits or catches a ride particularly. Overall the tone is very much like Iron Man 3 and sometimes that sudden change from pathos to humor did grate with me but luckily not too often.
Happily though the core strength of the story does eventually get to revolve around Thor and Lokis relationship but that really doesn’t start until the middle of the film. Its the Dark Elves appearance from the first that engages and they look fantastic, like the younger ,clever cousins of Prometheus’s Engineers( and I note Iceland yet again stands in as a planet, their economy must be recovering solely from the sheer amount of film work done there alone this last few years). The costume designs are superb (though one of their number ended up reminding me of the Jigsaw Puppet from the Saw movies, maybe the Halloween influence I guess),and the Dark ships really worked for me,"red eye" and all I’d have really liked to have seen their like in another movie. Great battle scenes at the start and at Asgard.
But it’s arguably once Loki appears that the film heart really motors. He’s the “Alan Rickman” of villains in the Marvel world, far more engaging,sly and entertaining than his Big Brother, who looks tired and worn from all his long battling in the Nine realms, so expect the very unexpected here. Some of the twists were very satisfying, others will make you wonder what’s going to happen next. I’m glad they beefed up his part here, it made the story far more compelling by the end. And I can clearly see where the third film will be going.
The climax is very satisfying ,though it did reminded me of a huge version of the video game Portal. Forget the daft science, the mad inter dimensional theories and you’ll enjoy it. It was also great fun to see London getting a bit of a going over, but it comes out of it pretty lightly by the end , but I imagine people will have more than just a fox pest control problem to complain about after.
Talking of which ,its the two end of credit sequences that felt oddly off to me.
One of them felt like it escaped from the BBC , namely a Doctor Who episode or Farscape. It did not feel of the Marvel universe, which is a worry considering the next phase of it. And the last clip at the very end, well the first half of that would have been better off at the END of the movie, not after the credits, because it closes the story off nicely. The other bit worked fine though.
Great film,lots of fun, better for me than IM3, saw the trailer for the Winter Soldier as well, go see and enjoy.

Last edited:
Saw it last night too and thought it was fantastic, even the wife enjoyed it more than the first one,great film :)

It was good but not as great as the first one. It was a bit slow and didn't really kick in until the third act. It was pretty funny though.

At least it was better than the complete and utter disaster that was Iron Man 3. It also has quite a few lead ins for the upcoming Marvel movies.

I think this movie was actually better than the first Thor, the first movie seemed to get lost and drag once it got to the second to third act. I didn't feel anything like that with this movie.

It was really nice to see more of Asgard and the fight sequences were fantastic both on the ground and in the air. My main complaint with this movie was the whole story line of "portal in the sky" was too similar to Avengers and because of that I didn't feel that it offered anything really new in terms of plot.

But that's not to say its not an enjoyable movie, it really is. I saw this in IMAX with my wife and 4 year old daughter and they both had big smiles the whole time. (a half naked Hemsworth in IMAX 3D is about as near as my wife is going to get) so she was happy. Lol.

Overall this is my favorite Marvel movie for the last two years, no question.

I am a spoiler junkie, and I have to say I had such incredibly low expectations for this film. Yes, I enjoyed the first one, but was not blown away. Having said all that, from what I have been reading around the web, this looks surprisingly very good. Surprising. Really.

I know I'm looking forward to seeing it, almost as much as my wife...who will be wearing her Loki shirt for sure.

(A half naked Hemsworth in IMAX 3D is about as near as my wife is going to get) so she was happy. Lol.

There were three student aged lasses sat just a couple of rows down from me who had been whispering an annoying semi commentary to each other during the beginning of the film. Then there was that scene.
In the suddenly deafening silence that followed after the collective gasp I swear I heard virtually the entire female proportion of the audiences ovaries pop at roughly about the same time.
You can certainly see why Chris Hemsworth got to play Thor and then James Hunt in “Rush” ,he’s a special effect all in himself with the ladies, the lucky git. Personally I’d hate him, but he seems such a decent kind of guy. I can see why Loki has a problem with him.
On the plus those girls never had much to say to each other afterward ,but stayed riveted to the screen for the rest of the movie.

The Dark Elves are much better villains than the Frost Giants and I enjoyed spending more time in different realms than what the first one had to offer.

I loved the film, I think it followed on very well from the first and from Avengers, I thought the Dark Elves were a great enemy, a real threat that had Asgard on the back foot, although one nitpick I have is, where was this guy?
THOR-The-Destroyer-02.jpg

I saw this on Wednesday and was very pleasantly surprised. I went in expecting it to probably be a solid but not necessarily mind blowing sequel and came out comparing it to Avenger's Assemble, my hitherto favourite Marvel film

As intriguing as the Dark Elves were (and as good as Christopher Ecclestone was as Malekith) I'm very glad the focus of the film was on the relationship between Thor and Loki rather than that taking the back seat to a standard hero vs. bad guy scenario. The interplay between Thor and Loki is just perfect and their interactions range from highly amusing to genuinely touching. I also thought it was nice to see the relationship between Loki and Frigga explored a little more.

My only real gripe with it was that Jane Foster's character felt really weak. I'd also like to have seen more of the stronger female characters, unfortunately this is generally an issue through all the Marvel films so it wasn't entirely unexpected just a bit disappointing that it's still not really being addressed.

I really loved it, pretty much from start to finish. I certainly wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was, nor that I'd end up in a little sobbing heap a couple of times. I was bound to enjoy it, I'm too much of a Loki fangirl not to, but I really wasn't prepared for just how much I would. I'd definitely rate it as one of my favourite Marvel films, if not the favourite.

Saw it on Wednesday at the BFI IMAX after standing against the railings for the red carpet event in Leicester Square the week before, I have to say, I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it! I knew it was going to be great after the success of Avengers but with Thor being my least favourite of the team I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

It was great to see more of the back and forth between Loki and Thor (especially when a complete surprise cameo makes an appearance) and seeing Thor blame himself somewhat about the path Loki went down in The Avengers.

I've heard a lot of complaints about overuse of comedy but honestly, I think it worked perfectly all the way through. Except for maybe one moment where it's back to the jokes a fraction too soon after a certain event.

I think what's most important to remember is that (as plagiarised by RDJr) Marvel is very aware that they shouldn't take themselves too seriously, but instead take the intelligence of their audience seriously. That's why I believe that they know exactly what they're doing (even though it doesn't always seem that way in the comic books themselves) and this is really a golden age for the silver screen supers.

Am really looking forward to seeing this. I was worried that the first movie would be the weakest of the pre Avengers movies but it turned out to be my favorite one.

I still haven't seen this yet! I really need to get a move on and buy some tickets. :)

For me, one of the best parts will be seeing Chris Eccleston and Tom Hiddleston in the same film. They are both amazing actors, so it will be awesome to watch them together.

I just got back from it a few hours ago, and this movie was awesome! I've been comparing it to if Thor 1 and the Avengers had a baby, and when that baby got older, it got knocked up by the latest Star Trek movie. All good things in my mind.

I just have to say, the humor was very deftly used, and didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie. The relationship between Thor and Loki was front and center and it really drove things forward. I also enjoyed some of the little nuanced looks that were put in, like Lady Siff giving Jane a bit of the ol' stink eye when she first appeared in Asgard.

All in all a great addition to the MCU. It really is amazing how they've managed to take a character who is essentially a god, and near immortal (I know, not really) and make him a compelling character with a great, heart-pounding story to go along with him. Superman writers, take note.

-Nick

So the mid-credits teaser is more setting up Infinity Gauntlet. Are they just seeding the third Avengers movie this far in advance since we know now it won't be Avengers 2?

Certainly liked it better than Iron Man 3, not sure if I like it better than Thor (though thankfully no overused dutch angles). I'd have liked a little more screen time from the Warriors Three and Sif. Very glad we got to spend more time in Asgard and the redesign was much better, not a fan of the less metallic costumes though.

Saw it today, I liked it very much. Mjolnir flying after Thor through all the world was fun to see ! What was the end credit scene by the way ? I saw the mid one but missed the end one.
Only downside was that I had no choice but to watch it in French, I like OV much better. Is Mjolnir's nickname "Mjomjo" too in the OV ? When it flies by Jane and the others, right after the two assistants kissed, Jane call it like that, which was kinda hilarious but weird at the same time...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back