Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I was watching Taken 2 last night - fun movie and prepping myself for the 3rd and final chapter!

Allow me to tip you off to something.

Friday_the_13th_part_4.jpg
Followed by...

MV5BODcxMzY5NDk5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAzNzUxMQ@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg220px-Friday6.jpg220px-Friday7.jpg220px-Friday8.jpgJason_goes_to_hell.jpgJason_x.jpgMV5BMTI4OTg0NjkxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDk3NjI3._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

Followed by sort of a reboot of the series.

So, yeah, the "final" film? We'll see. ;)

When the hero, who has some fight training, meets his match from the bad guy team, the other guy is always trained in the exact same style. You never get 2 styles going at it trying to figure each other out.

That'd actually be really cool. Like, watching two really different wu shu styles battle it out. Sadly, I think the "Lethal Weapon" template is unlikely to be broken soon.

hero lights match. fireball explosion in background as he walks away.

No shrapnel, no heat, no concussive effect. I was just talking with my girlfriend about this last night.

Allow me to tip you off to something.

View attachment 425120
Followed by...

View attachment 425122View attachment 425123View attachment 425124View attachment 425125View attachment 425126View attachment 425127View attachment 425128

Followed by sort of a reboot of the series. So, yeah, the "final" film? We'll see. ;)

LOL! GASP! I am shocked! Since when does Hollywood put "Final Chapter" in the title and then... make more movies? UGH... I have to sit down and rethink virtually everything! ;)

In all fairness, in real life, people do this. I served with a soldier who'd been in the big "Blackhawk" down fight in Somalia and he said if they kept low, the Somalis never fired below waist level and nobody he was aware of ever got hit when they were lying prone unless the Somalis got right up next to them.
Also, the supports for the walls are usually thicker and/or heavier the closer to the floor you go as well as lots of stuff on the floor giving more potential for cover than at shoulder level.

And that makes absolute total sense... my thought is if you're going "pray and spray"... spray all over. More importantly, thank you for your service, dedication and sacrifice! You have my respect! :)

LOL! Now I'm just beyond confused!

:lol

The original game was the creator's last shot at making a really successful video game. If it wasn't a success he was going to quit the industry so he named it accordingly, "Final Fantasy". That was in 1987 I think, and it was a hit. So much so that there have been off shoots and numbered sequels. Something like 70 games total. All with the name "Final Fantasy" in the title. ;)

How about the bad guy who can't be beat, a man you just hit with a 2X4 and he doesn't even notice it. Inhuman type.
Anyway, the good guy gets ticked off by something this Superman-quality villian says, then proceeds to beat the crud or him, now the bad guy is showing damage, just because the giood guy is really ticked off? He's not hitting any harder than before, why does it hurt now?

Probably already mentioned (more than once), but the casual, "oh-so-cool" :rolleyes backward strike with a blade performed while not even looking... :sick

That'd actually be really cool. Like, watching two really different wu shu styles battle it out. Sadly, I think the "Lethal Weapon" template is unlikely to be broken soon.

I was thinking more like way opposing styles. Like a boxer vs judo, wrestler vs kickboxer, akido vs taekwondow.

Its the same with weapons if the hero is a knife guy then the bad guy is a knife guy, or sword or staff or spear. Thats probably why Indy shooting the swordsman stands the test of time. In any other movie Indy would get a hold of a sword and be a good match for the guy.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking more like way opposing styles. Like a boxer vs judo, wrestler vs kickboxer, akido vs taekwondow.

Its the same with weapons if the hero is a knife guy then the bad guy is a knife guy, or sword or staff or spear. Thats probably why Indy shooting the swordsman stands the test of time. In any other movie Indy would get a hold of a sword and be a good match for the guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Some wu shu styles -- from what I understand -- can be REALLY different from each other, emphasizing very very different techniques. Like, to the degree that it's almost like a knife wielder going up against a sword wielder or even a guy with a spiked flail.

But regardless, I get what you're saying, and in some contexts -- especially modern ones -- I agree.

Thats probably why Indy shooting the swordsman stands the test of time. In any other movie Indy would get a hold of a sword and be a good match for the guy.
The funny thing is that they started to film that very scene where Indy fights the swordsman old school, but Harrison Ford wasn't up to it as he was very sick that day on the set. The story has gone round for years now, I just wish I knew who's idea it was for him to simply cap him with a pistol. Best scene in the entire franchise!

How about when the good guy and the main villain have face-off, they throw away their guns and start fighting mano-a-mano? Usually it's with the premise that both of them are all out of bullets... but for once I'd like to see a film skip the hand-to-hand combat and just have the good guy find another gun and shoot the villain in the head.

Since we're on the topic of guns... How about those who shoot using one hand while flailing the gun around and not even aiming, but still manage to hit their target? Really??!!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
-- C. S. Lewis).

Excellent quote!!!

:)

I apologize if I mentioned these before (I can't remember if I have), but here's one I can't really understand how they work:

Handsome men and beautiful women being assassins. Seriously, how can anyone look at Matt Damon, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and think, "Yeah, they're assassins"? I mean, the whole idea of an assassin is for someone to go unnoticed up to their target and taking them out. A beautiful woman would be noticed, the same with a handsome guy. In fact, the reason why most male serial killers in real life succeeded in killing people is because of how average they looked (in fact, Ted Bundy has been described as looking like "the guy next door" when it comes to how he looked).

Also, why do assassins have to be with the CIA? I mean, I get spies being in the CIA (because spies are trying to acquire information and the CIA's goal is information gathering). But the CIA having assassins? Assassins seem more like a Department of Defense kind of thing, since assassins take out targets and such.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that they started to film that very scene where Indy fights the swordsman old school, but Harrison Ford wasn't up to it as he was very sick that day on the set. The story has gone round for years now, I just wish I knew who's idea it was for him to simply cap him with a pistol...
If I remember correctly, it was Ford's idea. They tried to shoot the scene as scripted but, as you wrote, Ford was too ill, so he asked Spielberg if he could just shoot him instead. Spielberg liked the idea, they tried it, it worked, and it became one of the most memorable moments in movie history.

If I remember correctly, it was Ford's idea. They tried to shoot the scene as scripted but, as you wrote, Ford was too ill, so he asked Spielberg if he could just shoot him instead. Spielberg liked the idea, they tried it, it worked, and it became one of the most memorable moments in movie history.

Absolutely one of the best examples of "improv" and one of my favorite scenes from the trilogy. I agree, one the most memorable moments for sure :)

I don't care how many times I see it, I love that scene each and every time!

Also, why do assassins have to be with the CIA? I mean, I get spies being in the CIA (because spies are trying to acquire information and the CIA's goal is information gathering). But the CIA having assassins? Assassins seem more like a Department of Defense kind of thing, since assassins take out targets and such.

It's because assassination is usually seen as kind of an extension of espionage and spying more than a military thing. The funny thing is that both the CIA & KGB were very careful about not running hits on each other's agents in order to avoid a spy war, both sides wanted to avoid that since it would distract from the real mission which was the gathering of intelligence. That's not to say that they didn't actually perform assassinations, just not of each other's agents; there's a fairly known case of a KGB agent assassinating a defector (I think) with a trick umbrella that injected a poison pellet into the victim.

I would say that it's not until relatively recently that the US military has gotten into the assassination game even then it's typically against military related targets like terrorist leaders. Even I'd still argue that the CIA does more of that than the military does, they not only have their own para-Monday branch but the also operate their fleet of Predators & Reapers.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Absolutely one of the best examples of "improv" and one of my favorite scenes from the trilogy. I agree, one the most memorable moments for sure :)

I don't care how many times I see it, I love that scene each and every time!

I love how they lampshaded it in Temple of Doom. Indy's on that rope bridge and two swordsmen come up, flourishing their blades in unison. Indy grins, reaches for his pistol... and it isn't even there. Cue the "Oh crap" nervous chuckle as he turns and runs away.

I love how they lampshaded it in Temple of Doom. Indy's on that rope bridge and two swordsmen come up, flourishing their blades in unison. Indy grins, reaches for his pistol... and it isn't even there. Cue the "Oh crap" nervous chuckle as he turns and runs away.

OMG! What a nod to Raiders. But in reverse. I never even thought of that. I'm gonna have to watch Doom again, just because you mentioned this.

- - - Updated - - -

AND he has a similar moment in Crusade when he's on the beach and checks his ammo and he's out, then Sr takes over "I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne: "Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky.”

How about when the good guy and the main villain have face-off, they throw away their guns and start fighting mano-a-mano? Usually it's with the premise that both of them are all out of bullets... but for once I'd like to see a film skip the hand-to-hand combat and just have the good guy find another gun and shoot the villain in the head.
If you can find it, look at the ending of the movie, "The Adventures of Ford Failane" where Andrew Dice Clay does exactly this. It's hilarious, as the bad guy is Robert Englund, at the height of his Freddie fame, too.
"Mano E Mano... what the [bleep] does that mean?"
Classic!
I tried finding just this scene online to link here, with no luck, maybe someone else could find it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back