Terminator: Genisys

re: Terminator 5 (Reboot)

The problem with doing just a future war movie based on what Reese spoke of in T1 is there is no story, no plot, no reason for being. Its not how things are done. Dredd is a prime example in this where it failed miserably at the box office, has caught on as a geek hit upon home video release, but thats it. The story was basic, plot stupid basic, shot as a music video, failed on its release.

Superman Returns tried to rule out other existing prior films, failed at the box office.

The track record isnt there so it wont happen. The suits that run things dont see anything but end $$$ numbers. If not a sequel, its a reboot. Trust me when I say you dont want a reboot. Doing so would make TS look like T1.

Actually, there is loads of story. Reese just told the brief synopsis of major changes in his life and military career. There's still loads of room for filler.

And there are many movies being produced and filmed that has no story, no plot, no reason for being, but still manages to rake in ****-loads of dollars.

But alas, I think you are right... it won't happen. Probably not even with the production company known for taking up risks and odd stories that otherwise wouldn't be made. That was actually the only reason I had any hope in seeing the actual T1 style future war.

The franchise is salvagable I believe.
No Arnie as a terminator as far as I am concerned thouhg.
He needs to play a human at his age. Just say the machines used
his DNA as the body model or something. Nothing wrong with that.
And bring on THE FUTURE WAR PROPER!!!!!! What Reese described!

I know they will do another Terminator and the third time won't be a charm. Yes third time, because the first two are perfect movies. The last two were both forgettable messes. Part 3 was a I can't believe they made this mess. Part 4 was a dull I knew it was going to suck anyway type of mess. And Arnold Schwarzenegger without a strong director like Cameron should not be involved with Terminator. Part 3 is the perfect example. I just saw a clip of Schwarzenegger's latest movie and it comes off like a parody now. I know Schwarzenegger isn't the best actor but in his prime with good directors the guy made many of the best action movies. Predator, Terminator, Conan, Commando, Total Recall, True Lies. I really don't want to see another bad Terminator movie.

its ridiculous that are even thinking of Terminator 5.

T3 and T:Salvation were garbage, worst pieces of film making you can imagine.

Boring, useless and downright disgraceful.

The only way i'll watch Terminator 5 is if a monkey is the main lead actor and his sidekick is a pet hamster.

This series died with T3, T:salvation was like a cancer that finished it off for good.

T1 and T2 and thats it, we don't need anymore. we had enough!

I forgot the the TV show was somewhat passable at times. Easily better than Terminator 3 and 4. But that's not saying much. The TV show had serious issues as well. Many times based on the writers seemingly wanting to continue the show and not write a good story.

T5 should have a scroll saying Judgement Day happened in 97, say its been years of war, BOOM start in just like the T1 and T2 flashbacks. Have Franco Columbu Terminators, have more soldiers than T:S (Chekov the only Resistance in L.A??) Then have Arnold as a general who was captured then escapes (with a partner who is Robert Patrick) warning they were modelled for a new Terminators. They know they've been modeled but aren't sure which will be assembled first. They also find a weakness that Connor can use to win the war.

Months pass as humans are winning.

Arnold talks of time displacement device plans titled "Fail-safe" which would be finished in a few months (which is now.) Connor asks a volunteer to go check it out, Reese goes in. T800 is sent to 84, Reese follows. The machines see nothing has changed so they send a brand-new prototype fresh-off-the-line Robert Patrick model (T1000) to a later date. Nothing has changed. General Arnold, Robert Patrick, and Connor take a team, bust in with a reprogrammed T800 and send him to protect the young Connor. Once they're sent off, the 3 heroes destroy the time displacement device (along with Terminator 3) and kill off the rest of the machines.

The war is over, humans win. No T3 or T:S timeline. That's what i'd like to see haha

I forgot the the TV show was somewhat passable at times. Easily better than Terminator 3 and 4. But that's not saying much. The TV show had serious issues as well. Many times based on the writers seemingly wanting to continue the show and not write a good story.

That's the problem I have with most of my favorite franchises. Terminator, ALIEN, Star Wars, Indy. They don't seem to focus on the story and just let the good film happen. They go down the checklist of things that you remember from the previous movies that have to be in there because "That's why people liked the old ones, right?"

Nice read even though they forgot Mostow's horrendous contribution.

A T1/T2 future war finale would be great to see. Especially since they didn't get to shoot it for the intro sequence for T2. Seeing them discover the time displacement device, smashing their way through Skynet's outer defense at Cheyenne Mountain and defeating the machines once and for all, or at least Skynet. Might be a nice idea to keep some friendly terminators around.

Glad to see it's moving forward! For better or worse, I love the Terminator frachise. Hopefully they'll work Arnie in as the human counterpart (now aged) so that it's more realistic...would be cool if the T-800 were his own creation and he come face to face with his 'demon'...but that would be a change of cannon.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Will Somehow Play The Terminator In Terminator 5 - CinemaBlend.com

I really don't know how they are going to pull this off, he's to old.

They tried to pull it off in Salvation, but failed. It could be pulled off using performance capture though.

would be cool if the T-800 were his own creation and he come face to face with his 'demon'...but that would be a change of cannon.

*Canon ;) and that wouldn't be cool, would change a lot since Skynet created the T-800

That's the problem I have with most of my favorite franchises. Terminator, ALIEN, Star Wars, Indy. They don't seem to focus on the story and just let the good film happen. They go down the checklist of things that you remember from the previous movies that have to be in there because "That's why people liked the old ones, right?"

I think it's almost the very definition of the "hack" director now to see the checklist/shot lifting from the old classic movies in the new versions without understanding the context or work to get to those moments. Take Terminator 1 to Terminator 2. James Cameron understood what he was doing referencing all that past stuff. Terminator 4 didn't get it. Nor did the Star Trek reboot, TRON Legacy, or any of the other reboots, sequels, re-imaginings, or whatever new term they come up with.

Sort of related,
Edward Furlong was arrested for beating and threatening his GF in her apartment while she had a restraining order.
Nick Stahl was put into a 5150 which is I guess involuntary psychiatric holding. No word if he tried to kill himself or why he's there.

Forget going back in time, Skynet is trying a new approach to stop Connor.

The fifties could work, and fortunetly the Rock could work as a Terminator considering he would only need to speak a few one word lines. I'd rather not see Ahnold as a machine in this one.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back