Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

My main concern by retaining the old characters and adding new ones is narrative focus. The more plot threads you introduce, the tougher it is to string them all together into a coherent, interesting story. At the same time, cameos for the sake of cameos are annoying in the end, and only serve as cheap "fan service" (see also, various characters' appearances in the PT).

I think this can be done. But in my experience, watching various TV shows and films, it apparently is very VERY difficult to take a whole slew of characters and tell a story that focuses on a lot of them and stays coherent and interesting.

And, again, I'm not sure I even really want to see old-timer versions of my childhood heroes.

I looked forward to E1 and was hoping that the magic would happen again. We all know what happened with that. I built it up so much in my mind that there was no way anything would have really made me happy. I mostly got out of SW b/c of how bad E1 was. Now that the torch is passed I'm hopeful.

Before I paid attention to the directors name, I felt like the Star Trek reboot captured some of the feel of Star Wars. (I like both franchises). I think JJ gets Star Wars they way a real fan does, I think ST proves that.

Also looking to ST, JJ has a large cast, all playing memorable characters and he weaves them together very well. I am hoping that EVII is a decent movie. I am NOT expecting the magic of the OT to be captured again. I am hoping for something I like and am entertained by and worth the $10 ticket price. Anything more than that is a bonus.

I don't mind if the story is heavily focused on Luke and Co. or if the original cast are not the focus of the story. I stopped reading the books b/c the stories focused too much on the original characters and their kids, and the stories were repetitive. The solo kids are kidnapped and rescued x's1000. I AM looking forward to the spin off's, there are more stories in the SW galaxy that don't involve Han/Luke/Leia.

I want a couple things:
1. Star Lines. If a ship goes into Hyperspace there should be at least 1 shot per movie where we see starlines. I have no idea why this was not in the PT.
2. Some real robots we can build. I'm almost done with my R2. I would like some other non-flying robots to build.
3. Real props and locations. So sick of CGI everything. Something REAL and enhanced with CGI is fine, but the detail of something real is simply better and it looks like this is something we will get.
4. Chemistry btwn the actors. The PT was horrible. Firefly/Serenity felt more like Star Wars than Star Wars did. Avengers was good to, so were the 2 ST reboots, so I have high hopes for this.

It would be great if the magic can be recaptured, but I don't expect it. I am keeping my expectations low.

If I wanted the old characters, I would just watch the original trilogy again. I'm ok with them making an appearance, but I don't want the story to be ABOUT them. I don't want Episode VII to be Expendables In Space. Pass the torch like Alec Guinness did and ride off into the sunset, become one with the Force, or what have you. Holding on to those characters only holds Star Wars back. R2D2 and C3PO were shoehorned into the prequels. Don't make the same mistake by shoehorning the old gang into VII.

It's going to take someone who can write new characters.

There is NO reason why the original cast can't be in the sequels with Luke in a Mace / Yoda position within a new Jedi council. Leia in a high political position and Solo still a General within a new Republic Fleet. Have a younger crew too, but still gotta have the originals. Let the spin offs go nuts with what or whom ever they want. In the end, we will all speculate and complain all we want. Bottom line is we will ALL be there to see them.

I do want a really bad ***** Sith though .

Reel

As much as I like Han, I think Luke is the only "essential" one of the Big 3 that needs to be in these new movies. It'd be nice to see Han and Leia again, but I think the movies would be fine with Luke and all new characters.

I always thought it would've been interesting if Luke bade Han and Leia goodbye after their involvement in the GCW and struck out on his own. What if EP.7 was essentially Unforgiven in space? That'd be unexpected. What if Luke became overwhelmed/jaded and decided he and/or the galaxy, wasn't ready for a new order of Jedi, thus going against Yoda's wishes? Maybe he has been living in solemn seclusion all these years. Perhaps something happens that leads a new character on a search for Luke to convince him to re-enter the galactic spotlight and fulfill his destiny. Actually this scenario is rumored to have been along the same lines of the Arndt script.

its not a new trilogy based on the OT characters/actors but more or less supporting OT characters/actors with Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru type screen time. Regardless, the release date is already unobtainable based on what JJ wanted to do. Expect more CGI and less practical than what was wanted out of pure necessity alone.

like I said earlier -

New characters do some big adventure, and are presented medals at the end by Leia, General Solo and Jedi Master Skywalker.

They're in it, it's at the end so everyone feels good and it's enough.

as prior mentioned JJ wants to do practical sets, locations filming, miniatures enhanced by CGI and shoot on real film. He wants to make a real OT style trilogy not a cartoon video game PT. Thus far everything is OT style and he has fought for it to stay that way. I dont think anyone else in that position could have that goal and be taken seriously by the suits.

I should also add that the POTC films had an ungodly amount of CGI in them that for the most part is seamless. CGI can work, it just has to have a limit.

Not necessarily. Disney has the resources to deploy if need be to move mountains if properly motivated. I certainly don't think teh film needs to be released in May of 2015, it could easily be moved to later in the year.

Not necessarily. Disney has the resources to deploy if need be to move mountains if properly motivated. I certainly don't think teh film needs to be released in May of 2015, it could easily be moved to later in the year.

It might not be easy for Disney to move the schedule, with the spin off movies and their other TV plans.
With all the attention on 7 who knows how far on the writing is on with the spin-offs, wasn't the 1st one ment to be released a year after ep 7

J

If it can't be done by may 2015 I'd rather if be pushed back a full year...may is tradition. It would be weird to see a star wars movie come out at Christmas.

Last edited:

I personally couldn't give a rats rear-end about the May tradition...if they decided to release it in December Disney would own that season hands down. Cameron understands this... He released both Titanic AND Avatar at Christmas, and they ran pretty much unopposed for weeks. Oh...and BTW...They are now the #1 and #2 films of all time at 2.7 billion and 2.1 billion totals...

Just sayin'

Jason

Holy crap who cares about the freaking release date just concentrate on making the best possible movie and release it when it's done.

Wow...sorry for bringing it up guys...I didn't realize it would start something

Oh sorry I didn't mean I had an issue with the discussion my issue is with the studios who focus on the wrong damn things. They need to focus on making the best movie they can and stop worrying about inconsequential nonsense like the release date.

If I wanted the old characters, I would just watch the original trilogy again. I'm ok with them making an appearance, but I don't want the story to be ABOUT them. I don't want Episode VII to be Expendables In Space. Pass the torch like Alec Guinness did and ride off into the sunset, become one with the Force, or what have you. Holding on to those characters only holds Star Wars back. R2D2 and C3PO were shoehorned into the prequels. Don't make the same mistake by shoehorning the old gang into VII.

It's going to take someone who can write new characters.

As I said before, i think part of the overall narrative will be the old guard handing to the new guard - but that it won't be easy for them. They'll have trust issue whether it's handing things to their kids literally or figuratively.

I think it'll go along the lines of:
7: 65/35 old guard
8: 50/50
9: 25/75 favoring the new guard

Keep in mind they fully intend on Ep's 10-12 as well. They'll use the whole of 7-9 to transition to a new group and that new group will hold the reigns come 10.

I think part of the whole 3 movie arc will the be younger generation gaining acceptance and taking over. They're not going to take over of the gate.

The reason Alec Guiness did have a big role is exclusively because there was no prior film(s) for a gargantuan part of the audience to have fallen in love with his character. So what if he only 15 lines lines - it's not like anyone has a clue who the character is anyhow. There was no old guard in the OT for the same reason - there were no previous works to build from. In revisionist history form, though, your top 5 characters from the prequels were obi-wan, anakin/vader, c3po, r2d2, yoda, emperor. All of whom made much more than cameo's in the OT.

A lot depends on the plot you go with, too.

A whole new enemy, for example, lends itself much more to new characters.
Trying to hold a new republic together favors the OT crew as they were the ones responsible for its creation.

Still, just from a prediction standpoint, i'd say E7 will have a heavy dose of original characters as they'll be trying to make up for the prequels. I believe one of Lucas's gripes about peoples reaction (rightly or wrongly) was that since they weren't about the OT crew people weren't going to like them no matter how good they were because that's what they wanted to see. Its the reason I think that with the transition from simply 7-9 to 7-12 that this will be a transition trilogy. You can't run a long standing series of the OT crew at this point, but you can get them in their prominently for the first one and transition over the next two to set the stage for you young crew of 20-30 year olds to take the reigns as a franchise going forward. They would have the potential (due to their ages) to suit up not only for 7-12, but possibly 13-15 and/or other one offs. With the age of the OT crew being mid 50's 50 70, that's not happening there.

I think people are just taking that as a given that Disney will continue to cash in on Star Wars and make 10 11 and 12. I'm good with that IF they are good movies and not just abusing the title of Star Wars. So far I'm liking the way they are taking things back to OT style movies with practical fx,characters,and other stuff that's been said. Fingers crossed.

Ben

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back