Star Trek Beyond

Re: New STAR TREK 3

So, I was thinking today - after reading Trek3's budget will be significantly cut now that Hollywood has developed a fear of tentpole movies (the idea as it stands is release more movies thus broadening the possibility of a hit somewhere) - not sure it'll work but, Trek has always seemed to operate better when less money is thrown at it. I also learned Paramount is in fear of a Star WARS renaissance that would squash Trek's numbers -- silly?? Well, I found myself thinking about these problems on the way home and how they could be solved - like, what would get even ME to see this next movie -- warm up to it -- and perhaps even like it. Getting rid of Orci, Kurtzman, JJ and Damon was a great start - but where to go from here? Well, resetting the values and story

I'm hoping what they do with the next one (presuming fear or cost doesn't cause them to kill it) is jump 3 years into the 5 year mission - avoiding walking on footprints already in the sand and diving into an area we never got to see... not sure what the animated series covered. This will also give this cast enough offscreen time to grow. Sock can be more of a right hand man to Spock rather then a nagging voice or competitor. Ditch the Uhura/Spock love story. Bones... well, Karl does no wrong so Bones is fine, just give him more screen time. Sulu can be a candidate for his own ship but decides to stay with the Enterprise, Scotty is now more in step with how Doohan played him and Chekov doesn't really matter... as always. By doing this it could cut back on all the bickering and have the true enemy be the one outside the window. You can even have them reference things like the Gorn fight or a giant hand grabbing the front saucer -- A unification ... at least that's what I think.

I think Paramount should be concerned about Disney and Star Wars. Star Wars and Marvel are the only major tent pole franchises event movies left and will likey continue to outperform. Star Ttek doesn't need a $260M budget, they should be able to deliver the same experience for fans for $150M tops.

Last edited:

Lower budget would be better IMHO. Less money thrown at effects, more effort put into story. :)

That's one of the reasons I generally prefer British TV over American, their budgets force them to focus on characters rather than big set pieces. I think trek works better that way. :thumbsup

I like Voyager, I enjoy watching the series, but it less then TOS,TNG, and DS9 by a long shot. But clearly that is what he wants. It's also why it is such a fools errand to compare Trek TV to Trek film.

I'm just going to comment on this than I'll move on from the Earth issue. The funny thing about Voyager is that despite the show's setting at being as far away from Earth as possible, the entire seven-year long premise is about a ship trying to get back to Earth. That's everyone's goal. The problem with a premise like this is that you know for a fact that they'll never actually get home despite the many, MANY opportunities the crew have had, and most of the things they come across in their journey will be skipped and most likely never brought up again.

I also think that the series suffered from the entire creative staff using the "play it safe" card by literally not having anything major happen on the show. Cripes, Voyager herself doesn't get one permanent exterior damage to her hull throughout the entire seven seasons. And giving credit where it's due, Ron Moore wanted the exact opposite of that for his remake of Battlestar Galactica by showing the actual ship getting more and more beat up as that series progressed. The only time Voyager ever really did anything major was done more for the sake of getting more ratings. First Contact was a success? Let's have the Borg be the big nemesis of the crew now! No one likes the cast? Let's put in a very attractive woman in a skin-tight outfit and see where that goes! And before you make any assumptions, I thought Seven was a well balanced, nicely developed character on the show who had reason to want change, and she looked a heck of a lot better an official Starfleet uniform than in that skin tight outfit.

And how did the series end? By showing Voyager approaching Earth. No follow up with the rest of the crew, no checking in to see how Tuvok is doing, nothing. All that matters is that Earth is there, and that's all that needs to be said. The end.

And I totally agree about a Star Trek movie with a lower budget.

There is already a synopsis for the next movie! (SPOLIERS AHEAD)

Star Trek: A Balance of Terror!

Where No Man Has Gone Before, into the Dagger of the Mind where Mudd's Women ask What Are Little Girls Made Of? Realizing that The Enemy Within is Charlie X who sets The Man Trap, or. AKA “The Cage” where The Galileo Seven fresh from a Court Martial run into The Devil In The Dark, just This Side of Paradise where The Squire of Gothos is performing The Corbomite Maneuver with Miri hoping to unleash A Taste of Armageddon. Meanwhile The Return of the Archons to The City on the Edge of Forever on an Errand of Mercy wind up in The Alternative Factor when The Conscience of the King kicks in, releasing those from The Menagerie into the Arena where they can experience Shore Leave, also known as ‘The Naked Time’; all the while planning Operation: Annihilate when they realize that Tomorrow is Yesterday!

Since we already redid Space Seed, there was no need to inlcude it in the script!

And how did the series end? By showing Voyager approaching Earth. No follow up with the rest of the crew, no checking in to see how Tuvok is doing, nothing. All that matters is that Earth is there, and that's all that needs to be said. The end.

While I do agree that the ending to Voyager was less than satisfactory, they really should have spent at least 3 - 4 episodes for the finale instead of just one, I disagree on it being about being Earth. I don't feel that it was about Earth being there per se but more about what it represented to the majority of Voyager's crew, home. Certainly not all of Voyager's crew called Earth home but I don't think that's all that important, what is is that Earth represents home for the crew of the Voyager regardless of where they actually regard their home being. It's another one of those shortcuts that Trek writers take, like references to humanity, that you like to take too literally which I think that the writers mean in a more general and symbolic way.

It's another one of those shortcuts that Trek writers take, like references to humanity, that you like to take too literally which I think that the writers mean in a more general and symbolic way.

I would be more specific in saying that those were the shortcuts that the "Voyager" writers took. If you were to compare DS9 to Voyager, you will see a very large contrast of which show took the most risks, and how often. That's not to say they were doing it for the sake of taking risks, but for the sake of having something happen, and have a gigantic impact not just the characters, but also the whole galaxy in which Star Trek in based in. When DS9 was taken over by the Dominion, our heroes didn't take it back thanks to a reset switch. In the Voyager two-parter "Year of Hell" (which was originally envisioned to last a whole season), it had a reset switch so large that they missed a perfect oppertunity to have an incredible character change but decided against it.

Kind of funny how a show took a young Ferengi who started out as a petty thief and steadily developed his character to become one of Starfleet's most accomplished officers, while Harry Kim remained an Ensign for the whole seven year run despite his many heroic efforts.

Also, Rupert Wyatt can hold a camera and give his movie a cadence.

I would be more specific in saying that those were the shortcuts that the "Voyager" writers took. If you were to compare DS9 to Voyager, you will see a very large contrast of which show took the most risks, and how often. That's not to say they were doing it for the sake of taking risks, but for the sake of having something happen, and have a gigantic impact not just the characters, but also the whole galaxy in which Star Trek in based in. When DS9 was taken over by the Dominion, our heroes didn't take it back thanks to a reset switch. In the Voyager two-parter "Year of Hell" (which was originally envisioned to last a whole season), it had a reset switch so large that they missed a perfect oppertunity to have an incredible character change but decided against it.

Kind of funny how a show took a young Ferengi who started out as a petty thief and steadily developed his character to become one of Starfleet's most accomplished officers, while Harry Kim remained an Ensign for the whole seven year run despite his many heroic efforts.

Also, Rupert Wyatt can hold a camera and give his movie a cadence.

You make a very good point there, Voyager always seemed to play it safe and was always way too episodic. There was a lot they could have done with the show if they had the balls to take a few chances with it but they, instead, chose to play it safe and we got a very mediocre show as a result. I "liked" how they were in a completely different part of the galaxy, one unexplored by the Federation or any group or species that the Federation knew (barring Q of course) yet there universal communicator always worked just fine, their hailiing frequencies were always the same as every species' Voyager encountered, and Delta quadrant tech is always remarkably compatible with Federation tech, my how convenient it is to be in an entirely different part of the galaxy yet everything works just the same.

I totally hear you about Harry Kim, as an Asian it really irked me that Harry never, during the course of the entire show, ever got promoted yet Paris would constantly get busted down and then get re-instated. At first you could argue that Janeway was being conservative and not wishing to promote anybody because she was possibly afraid to do and then have Starfleet later not recognize the promotions that she awarded although it's probably likely that, given the circumstances, field promotions would have been recognized. But certainly after regaining contact with the Federation you'd think that she would have submitted the paperwork/recommendations for promotions and commendations for every member of Starfleet on the crew and should have gotten at least a bump to LT jg for Harry if not to full LT.

Tuvok received a promotion. The Doctor was given a 'command protocol' upgrade, (promotion). As mentioned Paris was jumped up and down. I always thought it was ridiculous that Harry was still and ensign after seven years. He even said in one episode that he would have been a lieutenant had he not gotten lost. A captain has the ability to promote officers, she just never did.

Last edited:

Tuvok received a promotion. The Doctor was given a 'command protocl' upgrade, (promotion). As mentioned Paris was jumped up and down. I always thought it was rediculious that Harry was still and ensign after seven years. He even said in one episode that he would have been a liuetenant had he not gotten lost. A captain has the ability to promote officers, she just never did.

Technically speaking, if Starfleet protocols are anything like today's military a ship's captain doesn't have the authority to arbitrarily promote (or demote for that matter) any member of their crew, they can certainly recommend someone for promotion to the promotion board. However, given the situation that Voyager was in there's no reason why Janeway couldn't have promoted Harry, I highly doubt that Starfleet command would have overrode her decision when they got back in contact, they didn't for Paris. Tuvok, I believe, was a special circumstance in that he was already due for promotion by the time they hit the Delta Quadrant. In US military terms he was already on the list of people to be promoted to whatever rank he was due to be promoted to but it just hadn't been made official yet.

Last edited:

I'm just going to comment on this than I'll move on from the Earth issue. The funny thing about Voyager is that despite the show's setting at being as far away from Earth as possible, the entire seven-year long premise is about a ship trying to get back to Earth.

Ok, so you're saying Earth need only be mentioned and that makes the story all about Earth? That basically invalidates every argument you have made about Star Trek over-usage of Earth.

Ok, so you're saying Earth need only be mentioned and that makes the story all about Earth? That basically invalidates every argument you have made about Star Trek over-usage of Earth.

Are you trying to get him started up again about the Earth issue? Are you insane? :p

As the first two new trek films were dire and woeful i am underwhelmed by the thought of a third film im afraid (braces himself for the expected deluge of abuse ) lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back