John Carter (Post-release)

Re: John Carter

My apologies…I see that I couldn’t have been more wrong about this. I did a little more research and it seems Gor is most certainly derivative of Barsoom. I guess being a product of the 60s and 70s and having read all the Gor books and very little of Burroughs, I was ignorant of just how closely Norman modeled his series after his predecessor’s. To think that after all these decades I didn’t know that….jeesh, shame on me! Sorry!:confused

Cool...

Taylor Kitsch & Lynn Collins: ‘John Carter’ Preview! | Jared Eng, Lynn Collins, Taylor Kitsch : Just Jared

taylor-kitsch-lynn-collins-john-carter-02.jpg

taylor-kitsch-lynn-collins-john-carter-09.jpg

taylor-kitsch-lynn-collins-john-carter-16.jpg

taylor-kitsch-lynn-collins-john-carter-14.jpg

The most bizarrely fascinating aspect of the original novels is that everyone is stark naked throughout. Thus, for me, comix artist Richard Corben will always more faithfully convey the wild spirit of Carter in his Burroughs-inspired Neverwhere, in which practically every character's genitals are permanently exposed - even if they're wearing capes or cloaks - than any version with clothed actors could. Still, the film may be a good romp in itself. We shall see. The monster sculptures look great anyway.

The most bizarrely fascinating aspect of the original novels is that everyone is stark naked throughout. Thus, for me, comix artist Richard Corben will always more faithfully convey the wild spirit of Carter in his Burroughs-inspired Neverwhere, in which practically every character's genitals are permanently exposed - even if they're wearing capes or cloaks - than any version with clothed actors could. Still, the film may be a good romp in itself. We shall see. The monster sculptures look great anyway.

The nude idea is odd. Spose it was cutting edge and shocking at the time.
Maybe a whacky bit of social engineering on the part of the writer? I'm guessing he didn't think the Grandpa and Grandma nude aspect through.

What do you get when you mix Attack of the Clones with Avatar?

This movie, that's what.

"What a piece of junk..."

I do like the use of Kashmir, though.

Just looking at the IMDB page for John Carter. Didn't realize Taylor Kitsch is from Kelowna - where I lived for the past 12 years before moving to Calgary this summer.

I'm a big fan of the Mars series and have all the books. I wouldn't call them overly dated as the culture of Mars and its people is unique anyway. The Princess of Mars dvd movie was an abomination and in no way did it resemble the books.

Now, while I see a few inaccuracies or deviations from the books in the trailer and the green warriors weren't as fierce looking as I had imagined, it looks promising to me. Plus Led Zeppelin's Kashmir, an unusual choice, sounded good in the soundtrack of the trailer. Personally I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
John Carter

Anybody else excited to see this?

What amazes me about the media this movie is getting is the massive negative pile-up about the budget, or the fact that it looks derivitave. It seems that most people have no knowledge about the Edgar Rice Burroughs books, and the marketing has done nothing to draw attention to the long history that the book series has had inspiring everything from Star Wars to Superman to Avatar.

I read the books when I was in late elementary school, and have re-read them several times since...and I gotta tell you, I am completely and totally out of my mind with excitement. I think it looks incredible, but its also because I have faith in the people making it (Pixar talent!), and the visual effects look fantastic. The writing chops, visual effects, and the source material have me really believing this movie is going to be something special.

I don't know a whole lot about the movie except it is made by pixar and has Bryan Cranston in it, I plan on seeing it for those 2 reasons alone.

It seems that most people have no knowledge about the Edgar Rice Burroughs books, and the marketing has done nothing to draw attention to the long history that the book series has had inspiring everything from Star Wars to Superman to Avatar.
That's exactly the problem. Saw the trailer in theaters, and everyone within earshot said the same thing as the giant "JOHN CARTER!!!!!" name came up on screen... "Is that supposed to mean something? Who's John Carter and why should I care?"

I eventually gathered that it was based on a book, which makes slightly more sense in the way they're marketing it, but they're going off the very large assumption that everyone already knows what this is about, when in fact it's the exact opposite. As a result, I have little to no impetus to see this.

My problem is that it looks derivative of Prince of Persia. . I know the book and its' crucial importance on almost all subsequent fantasy, but the trailer I saw is not exactly filling me with confidence

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back