The Conjuring (Post-release)

Some of the Twitter reactions from tonight's screening.

ldbahr: "The Conjuring, or, that time I screamed four times in a crowded theater. Four times."

donkaye: "THE CONJURING: A good old-fashioned spook show. Extremely well-done and effective."

denniswidmyer: "The Conjuring is no joke. Scariest film I’ve seen since The Others. Audience really responded to it. Tons of screams and nervous giggles."

AlexWilliamsdt: "So many chilling moments, so many great scares, and it's smart, funny, and insanely well directed. THE CONJURING just broke #laff

AlexWilliamsdt: "THE CONJURING was so relentlessly scary at times. Such a well-orchestrated piece of horror that scares and entertains."

devincf: "Glad to see positive word for THE CONJURING! Wan directed the hell out of it - honestly a scary movie."

Here is the second trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a LOT of similar shots between Sinister and this movie, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I liked Sinister, or at least parts of it, but I'm hoping this one keeps the story going along before it ****s itself and derails into "what in the hell?" land.

Afro Darth Maul was not a good look for your evil bad guy to be taken seriously, Sinister just went off the rails around the time the gas mask came into play.

I see a lot of similar shots (stuff behind the guy, creepy stuff in mirror, evil boogey things popping up all of a sudden), but if someone can tell me if it stays a good horror movie all the way though, I'll go buy a ticket for it.

Chris

There seems to be a LOT of similar shots between Sinister and this movie, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I liked Sinister, or at least parts of it, but I'm hoping this one keeps the story going along before it ****s itself and derails into "what in the hell?" land.

Afro Darth Maul was not a good look for your evil bad guy to be taken seriously, Sinister just went off the rails around the time the gas mask came into play.

I see a lot of similar shots (stuff behind the guy, creepy stuff in mirror, evil boogey things popping up all of a sudden), but if someone can tell me if it stays a good horror movie all the way though, I'll go buy a ticket for it.

Chris

There may be similarities but I don't think that it's a case of The Conjuring copying Sinister since the Conjuring is based on a True Story. Of course, this doesn't mean that they weren't possibly influenced by Sinister in how they chose to execute the story visually but I don't think it meant to be an outright copy. For what it's worth, though I haven't seen the movie yet but based on what I saw at The Conjuring panel at WonderCon earlier this year and based on the trailers this looks to be one heck of a scary movie made all that much scarier knowing that it actually happened.

Last edited:
anything thats based on a "true story" allways gets me laughing, cause the movie usually is a million miles away from what really happened

BASED ON A TRUE STORY can be something like "Yea, this person once walked into a bar" and it gets turned into "COMING THIS FALL, ONE MAN REFUSED TO BE DRIVEN OUT OF TOWN BY THE LOCAL CYBORG LAW ENFORCEMENT, NOW HE'S COMING FOR THEM!!!!!!" with a scene of him walking into a future bar where all the cyborgs are before laying down a matrix esque beatdown.

Sometimes it's a direct retelling, sometimes it's not even in the same area code as the original story.

Chris

Chris I think you mean Insidious not Sinister...... Saw the Conjuring over the weekend great horror film, extremely well done, I don't want to ruin anything so that's all I shall say.

BASED ON A TRUE STORY can be something like "Yea, this person once walked into a bar" and it gets turned into "COMING THIS FALL, ONE MAN REFUSED TO BE DRIVEN OUT OF TOWN BY THE LOCAL CYBORG LAW ENFORCEMENT, NOW HE'S COMING FOR THEM!!!!!!" with a scene of him walking into a future bar where all the cyborgs are before laying down a matrix esque beatdown.

Sometimes it's a direct retelling, sometimes it's not even in the same area code as the original story.

Chris

Considering that they had the involvement of both the 2 girls who lived in the house at the time of the events and the investigators who first investigated the events I'd say that the movie is probably fairly faithful to the actual events. This doesn't mean that things may not have been changed to work better on film and to make for a better movie experience overall but judging by the WonderCon panel I got the impression that they tried to stay as true as possible to the original events.

Chris I think you mean Insidious not Sinister...... Saw the Conjuring over the weekend great horror film, extremely well done, I don't want to ruin anything so that's all I shall say.

Oh yea. Insidious. I dunno why but I always get that title mixed up with the other one. Not even remotely the same movie though.

Considering that they had the involvement of both the 2 girls who lived in the house at the time of the events and the investigators who first investigated the events I'd say that the movie is probably fairly faithful to the actual events. This doesn't mean that things may not have been changed to work better on film and to make for a better movie experience overall but judging by the WonderCon panel I got the impression that they tried to stay as true as possible to the original events.

True. Just saying that "Based on a true story" can vary wildly from movie to movie. Take Walking Tall, and then the remake with The Rock.

Might give it a whirl. Just gotta hear some non spoilery reviews of it first.

Chris

I love good scary movies, and this is one of them. It's not perfect, but it's fun. As for 'based on true events' they clearly had to have some artistic license, because if there was film of people levitating while possessed I have to think it'd have a bit more coverage.

I love good scary movies, and this is one of them. It's not perfect, but it's fun. As for 'based on true events' they clearly had to have some artistic license, because if there was film of people levitating while possessed I have to think it'd have a bit more coverage.

Not necessarily, this did take place back in the 70s after all, well before the advent of the 24hr news cycle and the internet as well as the publics overall fascination with the paranormal. So paranormal activity taking place in a sleepy little town somewhere might not have garnered the attention that it would likely get if it were to happen today. Then again, this event was investigated by the same couple who investigated the Ammityville Horror and that one received a lot of attention at the time so it's kind of curious how this one got overlooked if anything major really happened. Either way I feel that the movie is probably an honest telling overall with a touch of artistic license in order to make a better movie.

People levitating in chairs, that turn upside down, and then land leg side first on the ceiling would have been in the news. I don't care how different the news would have been. Also, it'd be digitized and made available now if nothing else. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun movie, but some of the things never could have happened because if it had we'd have absolute, verifiable evidence of the supernatural from this incident.

People levitating in chairs, that turn upside down, and then land leg side first on the ceiling would have been in the news. I don't care how different the news would have been. Also, it'd be digitized and made available now if nothing else. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun movie, but some of the things never could have happened because if it had we'd have absolute, verifiable evidence of the supernatural from this incident.

Depends on whether or not it was ever caught on film. I haven't seen enough of the film beyond the trailers to know just how the movie plays out so I don't know whether or not the investigators are supposed to have filmed some of the happenings or if they're just there witnessing it. If they're supposed to have filmed it then you have a very good point since back in the 70s there's no way that amateurs could do very convincing FX work unless they happen to be trained stage magicians. If, on the other hand, it's only documented by them witnessing some of the events then it's more than conceivable that it never made the news.

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Super fun, super suspenseful. Definitely some vast exaggerations, but that's to be expected. I'd say it's worth seeing in theaters.

There's several scenes where the investigators have a camera and are filming things that it'd have been seen by the public by now.

Yeah as i imagined, the movie is based on this story that has no proof behind it.

he took the doll, that was posessed with him, and he saw it levitating a few times, yet why would you record it?
its obviously a bogus story.

i enjoy horror movies, but stuff like this totally turns me off of a movie. had they not written " based on a true story" i wouldve enjoyed it much more

Saw it Saturday night, thought it was an awesome trip. Wasn't a big fan of the ending but I'll take it. I was actually worried that it was going to take a turn much like Insidious but I was happy to be wrong. James Wan has me excited for Insidious Chapter 2 now. :)

Oh and Annabelle, she's a ****ed up doll. :lol There's a doll much like her located in Key West, Robert the Doll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, reminded me of her. Evil twins perhaps? :p

Oh, I'm not sure I could sleep well at the Warren household with that room down below, I don't care how many times you bless that house!

Also, that music box, I want it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back