Buck Rogers - First look

stingray

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I did not see this anywhere on the RPF. If there is another thread, please let me know and you can delete this one.

Cawley has released a 3 minute clip from the upcoming web series Buck Rogers on Youtube. Gil and Erin plays Buck's parents or should I say Lucas' parents in this version of Buck Rogers. I'm assuming he will be called Buck later on or maybe just his parents call him Lucas. I guess we will find out later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY0-lSg3-k

I don't think I would call it retro per se since Buck was created in the early 20th Century (did it pre-date Flash Gordon?). Granted WW1 is a bit early, but it is just a 3 minute clip. As such we don't know when he falls asleep for 500 years. I am glad Cawley is expanding his talents away from Star Trek as while his efforts there are good, imagine what he can do with a property where "few have gone before".

Great acting on the part of Gil and Erin and I'm glad they at least provided these cameos.

So, funny!

I am watching the original Buck Rogers right now, as I type this. I thought it was time to introduce it to my 9 year old son :)

I didn't realize that was Gil Gerard until the last part of the clip. Haha.

The clip was really boring. I didn't really care for the color either. I think I'll Redbox this one.

The Buck Rogers origin in both the novel, and comic strip was that he was a former WWI Aviator. After the war he went to work for a mining company checking out old mines. While examining one mine he was trapped by a cave in, and was overcome by a strange radioactive gas which puts him into a state of suspended animation. He awakened in 2419, five hundred years later when an earthquake reopened the mine. Escaping the mine, he found a wilderness, the United States having been conquered hundreds of years earlier by the Han Air Lords. He joined the Americans that had developed new technologies of their own, inertron, ultron, rocket firearms, rocket aircraft, and tv-guided cruse missiles with nuclear warheads.

In the novel it turns out that Han were actually aliens that landed in, then conquered China, and mated with the natives. Their advanced technology, repellor ray ships, and disintergrators, allowed them to conquer the rest of the world.

The novel, which is actually a compilation of two novellas. It is "Armageddon 2419 A.D., by William F. Nolan. Wiki page on the novel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armageddon_2419_A.D.

I did like the first teaser trailer with the rocket, but I didn't like the heavy rivets on the rat-tail fins of the rocket, Rick Yager never drew them that way.

David.

Well, maybe it's the editing or maybe the actors he is working with, but that is the best acting I have seen Cawley do yet. I find it too painful to watch him as Kirk in the fan films.
Totally cool to have Erin Gray and Gil Gerard in there and they did a fantastic job, but the scene itself is rather bland. I'm sure with spaceships and aliens and such it will be much better. The effects they have done on the Trek fan films are really great, as are the sets and props, IIRC.

Looks ok to me, but the sepia is a bit too warm. Looks like they flipped a switch on the camera rather than processed it that way.
I think it'll be pretty cool, and its not like it was a scene where 'much was going on' to make us go 'wahey', anyway...

In a sense I thought it was sad as like much of these revivals using original actors you see another dimension of them and regret not seeing more before. Gil and Erin acted their socks off in that clip and transcended its apparent cheapness - such a shame we never saw anything of that calibre in Larson's series!

I find it too painful to watch him as Kirk in the fan films.
Man, you said it. I applaud the effort, and give kudos to the technical side of the productions, but I find them unwatchable because of the acting. Some actors are OK, but so many actually suck that it's painful to watch.

This BR clip is ponderous, despite Gerard and Grey.

I cannot really judge it by this one scene, but As long as Gil and Erin are in this one story I'm going to give it chance.

Ok it's been over a year. I see an IMDB for BR Begins 2011, info that this may be a web release, and not much much else. Anything new?

Well, this is probably old news, but I think part of what happened, or hasn't happened, is that Retro Films tried to use Kickstarter to raise a budget, but only got pledges for one tenth of their goal. Frankly, the pitch there is terrible.

Both Gerard and Gray say it's dead, but they're not part of the production per se other than than their parts in the sample scene, so they may be incorrect.

On the other hand, I've chatted with several people who have worked with Cawley's group and they've said they've heard nothing about it moving forward.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back