American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior

gunbike.jpg

Holy MegaForce, Batman!

I, too, can definitely understand why some people would feel there are more deserving builders out there. There have been a few times where I've watched that show and thought "ya know, Paul Jr. would probably put just as much effort into designing a toaster as he does bikes" b/c he strikes me as somebody who just wants to be designing with metal and it doesn't really matter what it comes out as. It's probably why he just modifies the same stock tanks and fenders over and over again and why rather than chopping things off the bike they add more crap onto it; it's more about a good piece of art than a good bike (hence why they're not daily riders).
Oh, I definitely agree. Junior started out okay, but somewhere along the way seemed to have lost his taste for the hands-on work. Or maybe he never liked it, but put up a good front for the first season or two of the show. He has come up with some interesting design ideas (and some silly ones IMO), but overall seems happier these days to let others do the work while he takes the credit. With the new show and being the owner of his own shop, I imagine he'll have to step up and do more work now.

Speaking of which, I just finished watching the first Junior vs. Senior episode, and nothing's changed aside from them not working together; it's the same show with a new title and one new location.

Yeah, I was pleased to see Vinnie; we'll see how long it lasts. IIRC he left OCC because he was tired of Senior's tirades and all of the arguing between Junior and Senior, but in his last few episodes I remember him complaining about Junior leaving him and Rick (or whoever) to do all the work. But he seemed to enjoy working with Junior as long as he (Junior) was holding up his end, so I hope it works out. If it does, I could see Junior offering him a percentage of the business, or maybe an outright partnership at some point in the future.

Ahhh, Leonard Smalls, the warthog from Hell; good times. Unfortunately, you can't really be an outlaw biker if you're riding a Honda VT 500. :lol

The Teutels are what they are, stars of a reality show. Senior builds bikes, Junior wants to build bikes but it's an excuse for the show to continue. At one time they were a legitimate bike company with all the start up woes. Bad quality and bad customer service. I don't know if Senior's business is any better now but at one time he did indeed have a history of failing to make warranty repairs to his bikes and this is before they had the show.

Junior has a chance to correct those errors but I'm afraid that he doesn't have the business skills to make it work. Maybe his fiancee does or maybe he will hire someone who does to advise him. He just needs to design the bikes as he has a good eye. But at the end of the day, he has a TV show producer in his ear and a contract on his desk and a camera in his face. He and his father are reality TV show stars.

Oddly, I'm compelled to watch as I grew up in a family business as well. Since I've been under appreciated much like Junior, I have an affinity for him. Sadly I will watch, rooting for Junior, even though my common sense says that he wouldn't have a chance in hell if it wasn't for the income from the TV show.

I just caught the tail end of an episode. They did the Kobalt bike. I hope the people like Jim and Jason (and Dave) get more screen time, they are more interesting than the brawls. Maybe some other characters from the shop will emerge.

I too didn't think the show was on anymore.

Watched most of it tonight. Wonder how much is made up for the show and how much is real. Sad to see a father and son act in such a way. I couldn't believe how Sr. insulted his Son in a newspaper pic, like they weren't even related. All I know is if my Son and I ever started going down that path over a business, I'd walk away from it penniless if I had too. Nothing is worth destroying that relationship.

I think Vinnie just wants to be on TV again.

Vinnie and Cody are doing V-Force in addition to the show.

I didn't even know this was a new series until last night when I looked it up, I thought it was just a farewell special or something. At this point it's gotten ridiculous and I think they all just want to be on tv, or at least be getting tv money.

I was trying to figure out on the Instant Netflix last night where I'm at so far and how much of the show is left to go, but the collections don't match up to the seasons for number of episodes in any way that makes sense. Gotta investigate further.

I think that they got used to living the high life with their huge houses and fancy cars. They know once the TV show goes away for good, those luxuries might be going bye bye. It really does suck though to see a family be torn apart over something so petty. That is so not worth it IMO.

Just watched the new series.

Wow. Paul Sr. really seems to have some issues, that's all he talked about was Junior - of course, who knows how Discovery edited it. But, Sr came off as very petty. You call into a radio show and ambush your sons like that and then blame them for it? Petty. He spent more time talking about his kids then he did about the bike he was building.

I haven't really watched the show much over the last few years. When it first came on, I really dug it... but the more it went to the personal side of things and less about the artistry of building the bikes the less I watched.

...and the more Jason Pohl got involved and the less Jr was involved in the actual design process, the less interested I became. Seems some of the dynamic was lost with the more outsiders Sr. brought in - and these folks were brought in because Sr. could control them much more easily than he could his son (well, that and the business expanded).

I'm glad to see Vinnie back - I hear JB and/or Nub might be working with them too. Hopefully the Jr crew will keep the spirit of the old shop alive, rather than depend on things that made the show less interesting.

I feel sorry for Sr's Engineer who have to sit and listen to his rants. Did anyone notice how bored the guy looked, trying to pretend he cared about what Sr was saying and trying to work at the same time? He had "Good God man, shut up and get over it" written all over his face.

Watching the show was like watching my friend Bud talk to his dad, Bud. We all have some level of that 'must stare at train wreck' drive hardwired into us, but this show kicks it into overdrive for me. I'm weak.

I liked the old show off and on. Paul Jr. is creative but i see what Sr. is talking about. Coming in late, not really " doing" anything but designing . He really doesn't know enough about running a business to do it. Senior started from scratch and built it up . Mikey and Junior just rid the coattails. Mikey looks terrible. Him like Junior , will realize what it's like to find a real job instead of getting the family buck.
i have always liked Rick and Vinnie. Rick must be making some serious money to stick it out . Vinnie put on the lbs. but will loose it running around doing junior work..lol

Just watched the new series.

Wow. Paul Sr. really seems to have some issues, that's all he talked about was Junior - of course, who knows how Discovery edited it. But, Sr came off as very petty. You call into a radio show and ambush your sons like that and then blame them for it? Petty. He spent more time talking about his kids then he did about the bike he was building.

I haven't really watched the show much over the last few years. When it first came on, I really dug it... but the more it went to the personal side of things and less about the artistry of building the bikes the less I watched.

...and the more Jason Pohl got involved and the less Jr was involved in the actual design process, the less interested I became. Seems some of the dynamic was lost with the more outsiders Sr. brought in - and these folks were brought in because Sr. could control them much more easily than he could his son (well, that and the business expanded).

I'm glad to see Vinnie back - I hear JB and/or Nub might be working with them too. Hopefully the Jr crew will keep the spirit of the old shop alive, rather than depend on things that made the show less interesting.

I half agree with you and half disagree on the staffing side of things. Jason Pohl is annoying and knows nothing about bikes so seeing him design things that would have to be fixed later just made me Hate his guts. On the other hand, guys like Mike Amarotti (sp?) were pretty cool and capable and I always liked Nub as a replacement for Justin's paint jobs and he seemed like a more fun guy too, so some of the staff/vendor replacements have been good. Although the guy they have doing in-house paint jobs is as boring as watching paint dry. I'll watch this when I get a chance just to see Vinnie and Rick back in the game (although where I'm at in the DVD's, Rick hasn't left yet).

I half agree with you and half disagree on the staffing side of things. Jason Pohl is annoying and knows nothing about bikes so seeing him design things that would have to be fixed later just made me Hate his guts. On the other hand, guys like Mike Amarotti (sp?) were pretty cool and capable and I always liked Nub as a replacement for Justin's paint jobs and he seemed like a more fun guy too, so some of the staff/vendor replacements have been good. Although the guy they have doing in-house paint jobs is as boring as watching paint dry. I'll watch this when I get a chance just to see Vinnie and Rick back in the game (although where I'm at in the DVD's, Rick hasn't left yet).

I think Rick's still with OCC?

I don't know who Mike A. is... he came after I started watching. If he was on the new episode, I didn't know who he is.

Agreed, Nub is a very talented character and I enjoyed his bits and his work a lot. Not to take anything away from him at all I hope he's working on Jr's bikes.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back