The Amazing Spider-Man (Post-release)

I got to say I really enjoyed it, I love how it felt like you really saw Peter train to become Spider-Man and it wasn't just thrown together fast. I also went into the movie of just not being sure about it so I really didn't have any high expectations for it so it turned out to be much better than I thought it was going to be.

I also feel like the Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone chemistry felt much more real than Toby and Dunst. This could have to do with Andrew and Emma dating in real life, however it just seemed more real in the one movie than the 3 movies with Toby and Dunst.

I'm sure Sony will totally go for that

Marvel doesn't have the movie rights for Spider-man, so they'd have to work out a deal to have Spidey in Avengers. They don't have the movie rights for Osborn, so he's not going to be Iron Patriot in IM3. Also, IM3 comes out next year and ASM2 isn't even written yet, why the hell would Marvel introduce Spider-man's arch-nemesis in an Iron Man film? It'd be stupid.

They're doing just like with Valko in the last IM flick, they're taking one character and giving him another guy's suit and making an amalgamation.

I forgot about the whole " rights" debacle.

Well....a guy can dream can't he?:rolleyes

The movie never depicted any stickiness about his feet. For all we know he was climbing based on the stickiness of his hands alone.

The movie never depicted any stickiness about his feet. For all we know he was climbing based on the stickiness of his hands alone.

The scene in his bedroom, when he was hanging upside, he was barefoot for. Thats the only scene I recall where 'foot stickyness' was featured.

Ok but still wasn't that one of the other "problems" spiderman always had to deal with? Would have been nice to at least acknowledge at some point that he can/does run out

It's true that running out of web fluid was a pretty common problem in the comics (at least the old ones -- I've only really read the classics), I'm frankly glad they didn't introduce it in this film.

When the Raimi Spidey encountered the running-out-of-web problem, I was excited at first, until it became the horribly cliched issue of not believing in himself. Oh, poor baby's low self-esteem is keeping him from ejaculating webs out of his wrists? All he needs is confidence and he can do anything! Puh-lease.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if they don't introduce that concern in later ASM movies. It was a pretty nagging issue, like always having to be wary of your ammo while fending off zombie hordes. It should always be in the back of your mind somewhere. But that can detract from the fun for audiences.

I really enjoyed it and really liked the fact that they didnt dump everything about Spider-Man/Peter Parker out on the table all at once.

I was personally surprised by this movie and really enjoyed it!

I found Andrew Garfield a great Peter Parker and strangely after hating all the choices and decision to do a reboot on this whole franchise, I thought they made him very likable and on an emotional level feel a bit more for where he came from and rooting for him as he developed into his alter-ego Spider-Man.

I liked the dynamic between him, Uncle Ben, and Aunt May and connecting some of the parents' disappearance as a child. It really helped show what Peter's been through and where his gray area lies in his mental state and actions (if that makes sense).

I felt more of a connection to Peter in this new one than I did with Maguire mostly from getting a much better sense of his upbringing and what experiences left him to how we seem him present day, but they did it without making it too long.

I went from a real skeptic and refusal to wanting to see the film, to going to see it and REALLY enjoying the heck out of it. In this case I was very happy to be proven wrong.

**Spoilers. Don't read if you care about plot details**
I definitely went into the movie wanting to love it, but it didn't do it at all for me. How can you make a movie about Spider-Man's origin, and change nearly everything about his origin story?
How come Peter's a whiny, angsty, skate-boarding hipster instead of an awkward, kind-hearted, science nerd? Why is Connors working for Oscorp? Furthermore, why were Mary and Richard working with him? Peter never even got to create his patented web fluid, he just stole it from Oscorp! They decided to cut the entire start to his career, as a wrestler, and instead Ben died because Peter threw a hissy fit and started crying at a mention of his father who he barely even knew. Then Captain Stacy gets killed by the lizard, and tells Peter to keep Gwen out of his life, when in the original story he pretty much says the exact opposite, telling Peter "Be good to her son. She loves you so very much." Not only were some pretty major plot points messed up, but so many other things just didn't make sense.
Why does Spidey's ability to stick to walls and web swing suddenly become a huge issue when he's somehow hit by a random police bullet? Dr. Connors even had to catch Spidey from falling after he slid down a bunch of windows and somehow didn't remember he could stick to them...
Why does the lizard look like King Koopa? Is it that hard to animate the lizard mouth that he's always had? Cause I'm pretty sure they did a fairly good job of it in the Jurassic Park trilogy.
The film was more like an amalgamation of ASM, Ultimate Spider-Man, and some ideas that Sony threw in because they thought they could make more money by turning it into a trilogy.
I think Emma Stone and Rhys Ifans were the only redeeming qualities to the film. They did a great job playing Gwen and Connors, but everything else about the movie just confused me, or left me feeling "meh".
This pretty much sums up the way I felt about the movie. They just seemed to go a little too far to try and distance themselves from the previous flicks and just totally alienated me.

The costume wasn't as bad as I had thought it might. I guess when you make the movie as dark as this was, you just can't see it. On the screen, in movement and in the darkness it looked close enough to the way Spidey has looked since the early 60s that it didn't matter that they changed it to this new ugly design.

This whole flick just seemed so dark and un-Spider-Man like. It seemed gloomy and seemed to miss some of the light heartedness that I tend to expect from Spider-Man.

I'm still shaking my head that at first they seemed to play down the science nerd bit - then all of a sudden he's making web shooters.

Adding Gwen to Peter's high school years rather than college didn't bug too much. She is a science major, so I guess it makes sense that she might be an intern at Oscorp. Although, it would've made more sense to me to have Peter as an intern there.

Did I miss something? Peter's got the camera set ups (which was cool), but should'nt there have been some sort of set up for him to sell the pics? (And yeah, the name tag on the camera for Connors to find was just the stupidest way to move the plot forward).

I wanted to love Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy. But, something was missing... she just seemed to old to be a high school kid.

Andrew Garfield may be the perfect Spider-Man... but he's no Peter Parker. I enjoyed the New York accent, something I never expected from Spidey - but, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Denis Leary was perfect as Capt. Stacy. The second he found out Peter was Spider-Man I knew he was going to die. Terrible storytelling.

This just never came close to being a fun movie for me. The bad just outweighed the good... and there were times I thought this was going to be pretty good despite some reservations.

Just got back from the cinema.

Great film, loved the acting / action / effects / story etc. 8.5 / 10, no worries :)

However, IMO, it was just another Spiderman movie, with nothing really all that different from the other ones starring Toby Maguire. It's just a normal continuation of the franchise (successful nonetheless).

Had this been the first spiderman movie I might have enjoyed it more. Though I did find it entertaining, I couldn't help but feel like a fool for buying a ticket for what is essentially something that has been accomplished adequately in a very similar manner with the first spidey movie.

The "origin" story was painfully boring to sit through again, and completly unecessary to go through at such length. When they got around to the obligatory montage of him figuring out his powers while yelling "woooo!" I realized I could have skipped the first hour of the film.

The rest of the plot was video game caliber in it's predictable simplicity and lack of creativity: Good scientist turns mad, tries to destroy the city with large green gas bomb, spiderman stops him.

I went into this movie with the direct understanding that they were going to follow the Ultimate universe more closely this time around. Oscorp is pretty much the reason for everything, much like that show Fringe (? if thats what it was called.) One company is on the forefront of technology and they're experiments lead to thing like Doc Oc, Lizard, Goblin, Spider Man... etc.

P.S. Ultimate Goblin is something fierce to look at!

I loved this film. For me this is the Spider-Man movie I had expected years ago. Tobey was just too emotionless to be Peter Parker. Andrew Garfield has nailed it.

I'm really looking forward to the next one. I just hope Marc Webb stays with the series.

Although I understand where some people are coming from with the whole;
"It's too soon to reboot and no one want to watch the origin movie AGAIN."
But in all reality the Amazing Spider-Man had a more comic-related version. Also, it's origin version happened slightly different so I can honestly say I LOVE IT. Also, total respect that they didn't put Green Goblin in the first one. (I hate when the arch rival villain makes it into the first movie.) arg!
:rolleyes

I can sympathize with them re-doing the origin. They have to establish to joe-public that it's a reboot. Not all of them are as easy to accept a new actor in an old role and just be told "It's not the same as before".

Though personally I really enjoyed it. Andrew Garfield embodied Parker and Spidey much better than Tobey ever did.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back