LOTR auction

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2013/trilogy-collection/index.html

Julien's Auctions Announces Historic Sale of Collection of Props from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, with Exhibition at Newbridge in Ireland and Auction Set for December 5th

Juliens-Auctions-Trilogy-Collection-Middle-Earth-The-Fellowship-of-the-Ring-Two-Towers-Return-of-the-King-Hollyood-Memorabilia-Peter-Jackson-JRR-Tolkien-Announcement-Portal.jpg

40 of the 92 lots had no selling price listed after the auction. Only a N/A where the price would be. So, I called Julien's after the auction and asked what N/A meant. The woman I spoke with said she didn't know.

Anyone else know if those lots sold, passed, or were pulled?

They were unsold. It would seem juliens used the method of taking non bids to get the items up to the reserve, and then if no one bit they were unsold. I posted a screencap on the MPF.

The owner of the items seems very disappointed by Juliens saying that there were very few bidders. I think Juliens got this thing all over the net, tv and radio so I think that was very harsh personally.

The items are museum quality, but in reality, there are not enough people in the hobby with that type of free money to spend on it. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the sold high price items went to 3 or less people.

From what I understand there were quite a few replicas in there as well......not so appealing to the screen used only buying crowd.

I thought they weren't replicas, but the ones sent to the company to create the replicas from?

This is true, they came from the same person I bought my Boromir shield from. They were props made by Weta sent to UC for research and design for the potential replicas that never saw production.

Juliens LOTR auction total was $775,624 with bp added in.

Julien's Auctions, located in Beverly Hills, California, held their "Lord of the Rings", "The Trilogy Collection" auction yesterday and their 92 lot auction totaled $775,624 with varying buyers premiums added in. The hammer prices for the auction were not released by Julien's.

52 out of the 92 lots sold, which made for a 57% sales rate, with 40 (or 43%) of the lots not selling.

The highest total for an item sold in this auction was Lot #26: The John Rhys Davies Gimli Battle Axe, which sold for $185,000 including buyers premium. Last December, 2012, entertainment memorabilia and historical document auction house, Profiles in History, realized $310,00 hammer, and over $370,000 total with bp factored in, for #Lot #825: Orlando Bloom “Legolas” Lothlorien bow from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.Est: $80,000-$120,000.

Additional highlights for the Julien's auction included:

Lot #26: JOHN RHYS-DAVIES GIMLI DOUBLE HEADED BATTLE AXE. Estimate:$50,000 - $70,000. Sold for $185,000 w. buyers premium, or bp added in.

Lot #50: ELIJAH WOOD STING – THE SWORD OF BILBO AND FRODO BAGGINS. Estimate: $100,000 - $150,000. Sold for $161,000 w, bp.

Lot #15: VIGGO MORTENSEN "ARAGORN" SWORD. Estimate: $50,000 - $70,000. Sold for $62,500 w. bp.

Lot #29: CHRISTOPHER LEE "SARUMAN" WIZARD STAFF. Estimate: $40,000 - $60,000. Sold for $50,000 w. bp.

Yeah, I was interested in these auctions too, but as I read the description it seemed like very few of these props were "screen used"…?

Instead, they were the items sent to make the replicas (as someone mentioned)

No wonder they didn't sell well. I don't get it. My guess is the items that did sell for the big $$ were the actual screen used props?

It all seemed so confusing.

Yeah, I was interested in these auctions too, but as I read the description it seemed like very few of these props were "screen used"…?

Instead, they were the items sent to make the replicas (as someone mentioned)

No wonder they didn't sell well. I don't get it. My guess is the items that did sell for the big $$ were the actual screen used props?

It all seemed so confusing.

Didn't sell wel ???

Lot #26: JOHN RHYS-DAVIES GIMLI DOUBLE HEADED BATTLE AXE. Estimate50,000 - $70,000. Sold for $185,000 w. buyers premium, or bp added in.

Lot #50: ELIJAH WOOD STING – THE SWORD OF BILBO AND FRODO BAGGINS. Estimate: $100,000 - $150,000. Sold for $161,000 w, bp.

Lot #15: VIGGO MORTENSEN "ARAGORN" SWORD. Estimate: $50,000 - $70,000. Sold for $62,500 w. bp.

Lot #29: CHRISTOPHER LEE "SARUMAN" WIZARD STAFF. Estimate: $40,000 - $60,000. Sold for $50,000 w. bp.

If you ask me they didn't do too badly !, lovely stuff way out of my league.

Peanuts

Re: LOTR Auction results

hi guys,

I'm new here so I thought I'd say hi. My name's Joe and I work for Paul Fraser Collectibles.

Did you guys see the results of the Lord of the Ring's auction last night? The top lot was Gimli's axe, which far outsold Frodo's Sting sword or Aragor's, which cames as a surprise:

Lord of the Rings axe makes $180,000 at Beverly Hills auction

View attachment 261993

Nice sale, I just wonder if they'll hold their value

As long as Weta/Peter Jackson and the studios keep all the props and costumes locked away they will hold thier value. Who knows what will happen after the Hobbit Trilogy runs it course, I guess they'll keep it back for Studio tours like Warner Bro's did with all the HP stuff.

Peanuts

I thought they weren't replicas, but the ones sent to the company to create the replicas from?

Those were only a part of the collection that was auctioned, but they were identical to the stunt props used in the films. Most were made during the production, by the same prop makers, using the same molds and paint masters. So if they made 5 copies of such-and-such prop for filming, a sixth copy was made for United Cutlery. They are the same as what was used in screen, just less beat up for the most part, and many of them were marked by Weta with "Made for United Cutlery" and the date.

Of the 24 pieces that were bought from me, or a few others I sold them to originally, 9 closed with no sale.

Last edited:
Those were only a part of the collection that was auctioned, but they were identical to the stunt props used in the films. Most were made during the production, by the same prop makers, using the same molds and paint masters. So if they made 5 copies of such-and-such prop for filming, a sixth copy was made for United Cutlery. They are the same as what was used in screen, just less beat up for the most part, and many of them were marked by Weta with "Made for United Cutlery" and the date.

Of the 24 pieces that were bought from me, or a few others I sold them to originally, 9 closed with no sale.

Are you saying that during filming of the original LOTR trilogy that WETA purposefully made a 6th copy just for the replica makers? How did they know there would be a license? If that is the case and it never set foot on set then I can see why they didn't sell.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back