Kirk’s Klingon Translator from The Undiscovered Country

propguy

Hi All,
Here is a cool story. Remember the Klingon Translator that I acquired a few months back from the Prop Store? At the time many other people had passed on it because you could not screen match it to either Kirk’s or McCoy’s translator from the pictures supplied by Screen Used. I saw it was still available though and even though I knew that some had tried to screen match it and failed bought it anyway because it was a cool piece from one of my favorite Trek movies.

I contacted Don Hillenbrand after I purchased it for some more information on the piece since I knew that he had one of these translators. Don told me that he too had tried to screen match my translator from the Prop Store photos to no avail. He thought I had an extra, “made for production” piece which was ok by me, it was still cool. He asked for pictures of the bottom of the piece when I got it out of “hock” from the prop store.

A few months later I received the piece and, remembering Don’s request, forwarded him the pictures, thinking I’d hear from him in a week or so and that it would not match the translators used on screen. Boy was I surprised when I heard back from him fifteen minutes later and he had screen matched it to a Kirk used prop! You can read about the process that he used here: Wrath of Dhan Prop Blog: A Tale of Two Translators ? Screen-matching Props.

Needless to say I am really thrilled that my purchase turned out to be a screen used Kirk piece; I did not have any Kirk pieces in my collection until this one, and I think you will agree that this is a great one to have!

I want to give a big “thank you” to Don for helping me screen match this piece! I owe you for this one!

Update: I managed to get the cover off of the battery, replaced the battery, and it still works!!!

Last edited:
The fact that the electronics still work after 22 years is the icing on the cake, IMO. That's one kick-butt piece, Doug! Believe me, it was my pleasure.

The fact that the electronics still work after 22 years is the icing on the cake, IMO.

I know, I couldn't believe that it would still work either after all this time! And since they had painted over the battery cover (which is the speaker grill) it was also a challenge to remove the cover without damaging the paint!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back