Yet Another Rocketeer Build (Comic Book Version)

The Rock-a-who

Hi Finheads!

JUST finished my Rocketeer rocketpack (Comic book version) and thought it's time to start my Rocketeer costume thread :)

Nothing really to see right now - I need to gather everything together and start taking pictures, but wanted to get this thread started.

My costume is 90% complete. For it, I have acquired:

Jacket - I ordered a Southbeach jacket and am very pleased with it. In the comic, there's no shouldter loops so I asked ahead of time if they could make one without and they could and were very accomodating. The material was a lot thinner than I expected, but overall, I'm happy.

Helmet - I got one of Oz's helmet kits and painted it a solid gold - no run n buff - to give it more of the comic book feel to it. I also used dark green plexi for the lenses as depicted in the comic.

Pants - I ordered a pair of riding breeches from Doursoux in France. I'm a bit on a budget so these were the cheapest I found and they look great!

Shirt - I got a dark green Dickey's work shirt. Yea, it'll be covered by the jacket, but I just felt weird wearing a normal t-shirt :)

Boots - boots are a pair of costume boots I got a few years back for my Rick O'Connell costume I put together. Again, on a budget so I went with what I have.

There's some other elements to the costume but I figured I'd wait until I get actual photos together and show the progress.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Okay, so small update. (Still need to take pictures of everything)

17230-rocketeer-props-rocket-pack-helmet-hand-controllers.jpg

Took a picture of my props for this so far. We have my rocket pack, hand controls and Oz's helmet.

One thing I discovered with the hand controls - the wrist part is too big to fit under the jacket sleeves, so I had to remove the bottom rings for each. They fit under the sleeves now so you can't really tell.

All the pieces are finally in so hopefully I can give it a test-drive this weekend with pictures of each to show.

I'm liking this. I threw together a hasty Rocketeer costume last year for Halloween, and had a hell of a time trying to find anything remotely similar. Nice work!

What is this helm kit you speak of?

vary cool:thumbsup
luckily for you the comic and movie costume are pretty much the same (besides the pack), so you could switch between them if you have a movie pack:cool

Okay, quick update. Went to the Dallas Comic Con Fan Fair today. Didn't dress up until my son convinced us to come home for lunch and change and return.

408581_4848054078408_727718203_n.jpg

Man, you want an ego boost: Dress up in a costume and have swarms of people flock you for pictures. :)

Too bad all the costume contest slots were already filled. I wanted to try it and see if I could place.

Love Rocketeer, and there are some great builds out there, but I think thahts the first I see with the comic rocket, but I can see why they decide to redesign it for the movie. Its kind of bulky and not very aerodinamic... Love it anyway! Awesome work.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back