Cyclops Costume for 3yr old - FINISHED PICS pg3

indiefilmgeek

Sr Member
Oh, dear. I've foolishly taken on another Halloween costume this year. :confused

But how could I help it... My 3yr old came up to me today and said "Daddy I want to be Cyclops."

Dude - I wasn't aware the kid knew who Cyclops was. So, I asked innocently who Cyclops was he walked over an X-men pop-up book we have and pointed him out.

6043543094_a9b545f380.jpg

Ok. So, now I've got do pull together a quick/budget Cyclops costume for my littlest one in addition to the Ironman Armor I'm building for Mikey. :confused

After a bit of web surfing with my 3yr old, he's picked the 90's version of Cyclops for this costume...
Cyclops.jpg

I've armed myself with Dancing Fool's Visor pep (which is the only pep file I could fine quickly online). We also have picked up a set of deep navy blue leggings ($2) and long-sleeve athletic shirt ($12) as the base for the costume.

Here's our little guy sporting his tights!
6043519788_64c42f3f2e.jpg

The other pieces will be mostly foam built around belts, boots, gloves and other found objects.

It should be a fun side project... and it's not like I needed to sleep for the next two months anyway. :lol

Last edited:
Re: WIP Cyclops Costume for Mikey's 3yr old Brother

In addition to working on Mikey's Ironman armor tonight, I also quickly pepped a sizing-test of the Cyclops visor for my youngest boy. It's way too big... hopefully, I hit it closer on my second pep. :thumbsup

6051303621_be79de1f53.jpg

I'm still at a loss for what I can use for his shorts area. What do all you spandex-wearing superhero costumer's use your 'underwear on the outside' look?

Your best bet for his size and that color would probably be something like little cheerleader bloomers.

Quick Google search pulled this up: Infant-Kids Bloomers

Don't know how well they would fit, and with the 4-6 week delivery, may not be the best option; a good starting point though, I think

Edit: Seems the proper term to search for is "cheer brief," and you should find several sporting goods outlets that carry them, in a pretty close "gold" yellow color

Last edited:

RE-sized the pep file and constructed the visor at a better scale. It's SO tiny -- not even 6" across! :)

6058221050_3aa1d63f75.jpg

I got them on my 3yr old just long enough for a quick picture.

6058863558_7808b0bca4.jpg

I've already started cutting and modifying the stock pep to fit and look better on his small frame. I believe I'll will be doing the final piece in EVA foam. The advantages of using 3mm foam for this would be a more flexible and comfortable fit and the fact that it would color match the belts and X-men logo buckles (which I also plan to build out of foam).

I'm taking some time off next week, so I will hopefully be able to really get some things done both on this build and Mikey's Ironman build.

Re: WIP Cyclops Costume for 3yr old -- Visor pep

Looks great, let me know if there's anything I can do to the model to make your life easier.

This is AWSOME! Where can I get the pep file for the visor? I'd love to have a visor just sitting on my bookshelf for guests to comment on.

I did a belt clasp a while back so maybe this will help you out

belt.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Thanks! I might actually take a swing at using my 3D printer to tackle that piece, but if not your file will definitely be a good reference!

This looks great!

Thanks, CR. Maybe in a few years (when the boys are older), my wife and I will bring them down to D*Con with us! This year, I just hope we can work out a good RPF meet-up. I'd like to actually put some faces with names, finally! :):thumbsup

Looks great, let me know if there's anything I can do to the model to make your life easier.

Paul, you're work rocks - thanks for sharing your talent with all of us builders! And I really appreciate the offer of assistance. Honestly, this one looks pretty straight-forward, but when I get through Halloween and start working on a couple adult-sized builds you'll be the first person I'll call! :love

amazin stuff man! keep it up!

Thanks, ugameenough. :thumbsup

This is AWSOME! Where can I get the pep file for the visor? I'd love to have a visor just sitting on my bookshelf for guests to comment on.

That file is DancingFool's work. You can download the pep HERE.

Here is a LINK to a post with a MEGA download of LOTS of pep files.

Did a quick and dirty 3D model of the X-men buckle. I'm going to try printing this out of PLA plastic on my 3D printer tomorrow. Fingers crossed! :):thumbsup

6061135978_ff63c77346.jpg

Re: WIP Cyclops Costume for 3yr old - X-men Buckle Model

Nice! Must be cool having your own 3D printer... I can only imagine the fun I would have!

Thanks for the Link indie, with all those files Imma be busy for a while... lol

Nice! Must be cool having your own 3D printer... I can only imagine the fun I would have!

Ditto, I'd already have one of everything made lol.

I'm still running into all kinds of issues trying to get model's I've created converted in my software into usable STL files for my 3D printer. Grrr. :unsure

So, I finally gave up for the time being and just started scratch-building my son's Cyclops X-men belt. I didn't get a lot done so far, but here's a look at the belt work I've completed so far.

This is 3mm EVA closed-cell foam - free-hand construction. It will all get plasti-dipped and painted (probably with vinyl/fabric paint) yellow/gold. Then I'll very lightly weather it - just to give it a lived in feel.

Here's the work in progress...

6067130867_de82f5695a.jpg

Faux pouches, X-men logo buckle, communicator logo, shoulder strap and the beginning of the cross-strap. You can tell from my hand in the picture how REALLY small this thing is! :lol

6067677226_58be22727b.jpg

Here it is from the top. You can see the faux shoulder stap as well as the velcro fasteners for the buckle and the back strap (that makes it adjustable).

...and here is the little guy testing out how it fits!

6067132067_bc2cbeba49.jpg

He's gonna rock this costume! :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back