Tron Legacy Costume

This is a nice battery pack - however being rated at 1800mA seems a little low.
Some highend AA batteries are rated at higher mA...

But then, it might be just what you need - depending on what kind of A (or mA) your inverter requires. Knowing this - you could easily determine how much time you'll be able to run your EL tape/wire at full brightness.

I've been reading this topic for a while - thinking about how I could pull off a Kevin Flynn outfit and I finally settled on LED strips (properly diffused - and I think I can only get away with it because the lights on Kevin Flynn are mostly "hidden")... and I've been looking at a battery pack (similar to yours in feature) on eBay that's rated at 9800mA.

But then - without actually testing it - there's no way to know for sure if it's just overkill or it would really be worth it. Can't wait to see how yours does... and how long a full charge would last.

Keep us posted!

For those programs using a 12v power supply, check out this bad boy...

2njjz1i.jpg

12V 1800mA Portable Battery Pack (with charger)

Its has an integrated on/off switch, a 2.1mm plug to connect directly to your inverter, and a nice hard black housing that would allow you to mount the inverter right on it making the whole thing into one slim unit you could put on your belt or wherever you like. This one looks like the way to go. Its a bit more than the ebay one posted earlier, but it has better features, and its available here in the US to cut down on delivery time.

I bought one this afternoon. I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

eBay has the exact same type of LiIons, but they can be found in 12v @ 4800mA for just over $18.00 USD (if you don't mind ordering from Hong Kong). I just ordered two of them and expect to see them arrive in the May 19th-24th range.

Sorry if this is in anyway slightly off topic, but if any of you guys want a casual Rinzler/Tron outfit for everyday, I designed a shirt and put it up for sale. Its not spectacular looking but I'm happy with how the design came out. Plus in order to keep the cost down, I set my commission at zero. If you curious what the print is, its a heatpressed foil called flex. Pretty cool. ATB Designs.

Really, really, close to what I was looking for, actually.

I was thinking about a TRON shirt with a disc design on the back, the standard 4-dot "T" tron design on the front, and done with glow-in-the-dark ink.

I see that you have a disc shirt which is glow-in-the-dark. Any chance you could make a two sided glow shirt and maybe cut down on the extra dots/pattern on the front?

as in one with the squares only? well id have to upload a seperate design and they wont let me do that until I sell like ten of them unfortunately. So for now I only have the double sided Tron glow one with the extra dots
Really, really, close to what I was looking for, actually.

I was thinking about a TRON shirt with a disc design on the back, the standard 4-dot "T" tron design on the front, and done with glow-in-the-dark ink.

I see that you have a disc shirt which is glow-in-the-dark. Any chance you could make a two sided glow shirt and maybe cut down on the extra dots/pattern on the front?

well id have to upload a seperate design and they wont let me do that until I sell like ten of them unfortunately. So for now I only have the double sided Tron glow one with the extra dots
Well, I bought 2 of your Rinzler shirts last night, so now you only need to sell, like, 8 of them. :D

Thanks Nexus I appreciate the support even though I'm making no money off it. I'd rather make no money and save people dough/make them happy anyway.

Ok so about a month ago or so I got my pants in the mail
07_svent_pant.jpg

Should I get an el panel going on the upper right side?

as in one with the squares only? well id have to upload a seperate design and they wont let me do that until I sell like ten of them unfortunately. So for now I only have the double sided Tron glow one with the extra dots

OK, I didn't realize the TRON one was glow-in-the dark.

I'll buy a couple disc-only for me and one for my wife. I'll buy a few more disc-only if you could put a toddler shirt size (2T/4T) there.

Hopefully that would be enough so you could make the shirt I really want - the square only on front & disc on back.

:)

Alright I'll add a toddler one for you. But you don't have to buy more than one I'll get there eventually haha
OK, I didn't realize the TRON one was glow-in-the dark.

I'll buy a couple disc-only for me and one for my wife. I'll buy a few more disc-only if you could put a toddler shirt size (2T/4T) there.

Hopefully that would be enough so you could make the shirt I really want - the square only on front & disc on back.

:)

hey guys, new here. Just wanted to say, stellar work by everyone. I'm going a different route with my suit though. I look forward to sharing with you guys, as my influences will be from Anon monitor :)

But then, it might be just what you need - depending on what kind of A (or mA) your inverter requires. Knowing this - you could easily determine how much time you'll be able to run your EL tape/wire at full brightness.

I've been reading this topic for a while - thinking about how I could pull off a Kevin Flynn outfit and I finally settled on LED strips (properly diffused - and I think I can only get away with it because the lights on Kevin Flynn are mostly "hidden")... and I've been looking at a battery pack (similar to yours in feature) on eBay that's rated at 9800mA.

But then - without actually testing it - there's no way to know for sure if it's just overkill or it would really be worth it. Can't wait to see how yours does... and how long a full charge would last.

Keep us posted!

I'm not sure how it will look, but one thing to keep in mind is that full brightness could be too much. If you are using an SI disc mod, you wouldn't want to have your strips be more powerful than the disc. The SI mod is bright, but I worry that if I am at full brightness (EL is meant for lighting) it might be way brigter than my disc.

I'll let you guys know what happens.

...wait, do all the designs glow in the dark :confused

Battery life always depend on how many sq inches you have. You need to know the square inches and how much they consume.
I had almost 400 sq/inch and needed a really big inverter, with a 6500 mAh batt pack to last 4.5 hours.
Amperage does not make it dimmer or brighter, it's the voltage. El Tape works at 12v.
When batt life dies, it does turn off without dimming.

Battery life always depend on how many sq inches you have. You need to know the square inches and how much they consume.
I had almost 400 sq/inch and needed a really big inverter, with a 6500 mAh batt pack to last 4.5 hours.
Amperage does not make it dimmer or brighter, it's the voltage. El Tape works at 12v.

Per Patrick, at LF my EL tape draws 150mah. So if the battery holds 1800mah, I should be able to get somewhere in the neigborhood of 12 hrs per charge. (1800 / 150 = 12) I know its not exact, but it should be near there, right?

If so, that's plent for my use. I can just charge up before I head out to Cons or clubs, and bring my cord along for charging on the go if need be.

Keep us posted!

Hey man, I went with LED strips. It is very easy to diffuse and not get that bright spot look. I'll post some pics from a rave I took it to later, but I can say the LED strip method is almost too bright. Its awesome, but makes my disc look like a keychain light compared to a 1,000,000 candle power spotlight. People think its awesome still.

Tradeoff: LED is DC, and requires a lot more current for that brightness (100mA per foot of strip, on average). I'm running 20 feet on my suit, so that adds up to be 2A continuous, so I need a pretty powerful battery to go more than a few hours. Anything rated 12V beyond 4000mAH will do. If you need any tips about diffusing LED strips, PM me :p

EDit: See page 123 for a series of pics on how i created the LED distribution, and page 131 to see just how bright it is. Look for my posts, as few as they are

Last edited:
Hey man, I went with LED strips. It is very easy to diffuse and not get that bright spot look. I'll post some pics from a rave I took it to later, but I can say the LED strip method is almost too bright. Its awesome, but makes my disc look like a keychain light compared to a 1,000,000 candle power spotlight. People think its awesome still.

Tradeoff: LED is DC, and requires a lot more current for that brightness (100mA per foot of strip, on average). I'm running 20 feet on my suit, so that adds up to be 2A continuous, so I need a pretty powerful battery to go more than a few hours. Anything rated 12V beyond 4000mAH will do. If you need any tips about diffusing LED strips, PM me :p

EDit: See page 123 for a series of pics on how i created the LED distribution, and page 131 to see just how bright it is. Look for my posts, as few as they are

Hey Colonel... I love those pics on page 131... the brightness of your suit is the brightness I'm looking for for mine - and you can only do that with LEDs :)

For some reason - I must have skipped page 123 while reading the thread :p - I missed the post where you explained how you put everything together... and it was very helpful. I came up with the same kind of design for the Kevin Flynn fabric suit. I just figured out a way too get the LED strip pointing toward the edge of the fabric while being attached 4-5in inside. I also think I'm going to be able to keep it a little flexible as well. With this kind of setup, I won't have much diffusion to do because the light from those light strip is pretty much "solid" at about 3/4" from the actual LEDs... and since I have 3-4in of space to light, I'm golden :)

On the battery side - that is exactly why I was looking at something as high as I could get for "cheap" ... so the 9800mA will most likely fit my need very well for a couple of hours of lights on about 18-20 feets of strip.

Thanks for your post man - I'm glad to see it work and gives me more confidence in my design :)

On a side note - I even wanted to go with the RGB LED strips... just because it would be fun to be able to have that costume light up with any color I want any time I want. I've ordered some of the RGB strips and a driver (with a remote)... and it's actually very very small... so it would be easy enough to fit into the disc "holder" on my back.

It's all in the design stage now... and I think it will have to wait a bit before I start on construction - but I like making sure my designs are all good before I start making it :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back