Tiger & Bunny Suit (armored ver. WIP)

@CrimsonAether: Okay, I was gonna say, not reinforcing the helmet with anything but some resin and bondo seemed strange, so at least that makes more sense now, haha. Thanks for clarifying.

Even if bondo isn't as fumey as resin, I am currently limited to my apartment space - no garage space or anything like that - so I have to be careful. Especially because I have pets (including a small bird, which I would be most concerned about). I have a tiny porch I could work on outside, but I have neighbors directly above me who sit out on their balcony for smoke breaks almost every hour, so I wouldn't want to risk fumes wafting up their way(even if they are fairly moderate). From what I've read, it sounds like bondo isn't much stronger than paperclay? so that's why I thought to use that as a substitute. One day when I have a better working space, you bet your booty I'm going to start using the good stuff. Thanks for the warnings though! I hadn't thought about it before, but yikes, glass dust sounds pretty scary! Good to know that sort of thing!

@Dei: I haven't heard of apoxie sculpt before! Do you happen to have any examples of work you've done with this stuff? By this description it sounds...glorious (strong? no cracking? no shrinkage? no fumes? yes please!). And is it really lighter than paperclay? I've never really thought of paperclay as heavy once it's dry, but I suppose if I covered an entire helmet with it, it might end up a bit heavy. I'm certainly open to trying new things, and this stuff sounds like it might become my new go-to clay. Also, is it any harder to sand than paperclay? Very curious now...

Lol seriously, you're basically required to use a power sander or dremel if you want to use bondo. I was sanding it by hand for a while, then I was like, "F*ck This!". Power sand is so much easier, I would have saved my self about 6 hours if I used it before hand.

i use the 120 grit cloth for dry wall by hand. works really well. then finish it with 200 by hand. never used a power sander on bondo. less chance of buggering it up

Would you by any chance be working on a Sky High pep anytime later this year? :)

Anyways, here's some progress shots of my upgraded Sky High costume!

kpyIAl.jpg

Base is complete, just testing it with the fin of my old helmet! I like reusing parts from previous costumes. Makes me think that the current one inherits the strengths from the previous!

JeFOol.jpg

Jetpack progress! It's actually completed, but I've forgotten to take a new shot of it.

VpnZol.jpg

Leg guards and arm gauntlets, along with the base. All still in progress!

n9b8al.jpg

Close up of one of the arm gauntlets after I've added the air intake fins. I call it the Sarlaac pit.

wmj9el.jpg

One of the boots!

aXKljl.jpg

Just some of the materials and paints I'm using for this build!

Essentially, a spray on filler! A couple of coats of this, then a quick sand with 120 grit sandpaper will give you a super smooth finish that you can now paint. Fills up any little imperfections and dents that might be on your armor. I wish I'd managed to find a different color instead of this horrid pink-purple thing.

It's pretty flexible, and easy to be sanded. Caution: It wont fill holes/crevices/bumps/grooves that are deeper than 3mm.

Nice work on the Sky High! I'm not sure if I'll be able make a pdo of Sky High any time soon, but maybe later this year, I still have to unfold Bunny some time.

Sooo I've been working my ass off in school with many sleepless nights, and I've been able to get a lot of work done. I'm almost done with my costume, any Fanime is in less than a week, so I have to do a lot of cosplay crunching.

I still need to build a few more pieces of the costume and finish sanding down others. Also, I switch from using paper for my pieces and started using EVA foam. It seems to be a lot easier to work with and I like its durability. The chest armor I made was really damaged in the rain and I think I should remake it in foam.

Here's what I have so far!

310072_293481527407856_109947829094561_633365_1590372135_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...407830_109947829094561_633370_592636311_n.jpg

if i may i would like to share this:
8cfc8da9b68f8e4455605242dc5530eba0aaa4c9-740.jpg

here is a bunny suit worn by Mr. Lyron Aquino from the Philippines

<proud filipino

@Dei: Your Sky High progress is looking great! I'm going to have to check out that spray putty stuff too. I have so many things to try out!!

@CrimsonAether: I saw your in-progress on your Facebook page (I'm Kuroi Yokan on there, if you haven't figured it out lol). It's looks so good! And I think I just stumbled across a picture of you on Tumblr...Is this you: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4q14wShuN1r37e8no1_1280.png It looks AWESOME!!

@baden3: Someone else posted a couple of pictures of that Barnaby's costume in here before (maybe even the guy himself? not sure), but his costume is so clean and beautiful. I especially love his arm guards! Unf!

---

Seeing all this lovely progress is killing me! Because I'm preparing to move across the country (Bay Area, baybeee!), I'm not allowing myself to purchase any new materials until after the move (and after I secure a new job). And I need to buy a bunch of things before I can really progress with anything, unngh. T_T Maybe I'll allow myself one or two things...

@CrimsonAether: I saw your in-progress on your Facebook page (I'm Kuroi Yokan on there, if you haven't figured it out lol). It's looks so good! And I think I just stumbled across a picture of you on Tumblr...Is this you: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4q14wShuN1r37e8no1_1280.png It looks AWESOME!!

That is me actually! :D And that Blue Rose is my friend. Oh! Can you send me a link to that person's tumblr?

Cool, I'm glad to see another picture of me. I wasn't able to get my suit done until Sunday night, and I missed basically all of Fanime because I kept working on my costume. I'm actually a little depressed now because I missed out on such a great weekend :( Well, the suit isn't completely finished, but I guess I'll have to keep working and look forward to AX...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back