Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones.

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones

Fantastic! There should be some coming soon, possibly even today. I'm more than likely going to end up putting his shirt together myself too.

Here's a quick update!

The mask sculpt is coming along nicely. I need to lengthen the face a bit more, and add the eyes, mouth slits, and strap slits as well.

Really having fun with this project but trying to keep the clay smooth and even on and around the nose is a bit of a pain.

sculpt1_zpscad690e9.jpg~original

Attachments

• sculpt1.jpg
    sculpt1.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 92

VilleLeskinen: Thanks! I'm using WED clay. :)

Anduril: Thank you! :)

The thing I'm wondering about is how to get it smooth before casting, or I guess I can cast it and just sand the plastic smooth after it cures.

I've brought the cheek ridges up a bit higher since the last photos I've posted. Need to adjust the nose a little bit too. I'm probably not going to sculpt the nose hole into the mask, but just cut it out later after it's been cast.

Egon Spengler: Nice build! Love the 1990's Casey Jones. I bought a fiberglass mask from http://www.fiberglassmasks.com/ for a really good deal. It's pretty accurate if you want to safe some time in making yours and want an accurate mask.

If not then still excellent progress!

VilleLeskinen: Thanks! I'm using WED clay. :)

The thing I'm wondering about is how to get it smooth before casting, or I guess I can cast it and just sand the plastic smooth after it cures.

I've brought the cheek ridges up a bit higher since the last photos I've posted. Need to adjust the nose a little bit too. I'm probably not going to sculpt the nose hole into the mask, but just cut it out later after it's been cast.

That's what I thought. Never used it myself. How are you keeping yours stored? I've heard that it's easier to sculpt on then chavant but the fact that it has to be kept moist scares me as I'm super slow on sculpting. Yours doesn't seem like it's cracking. :)

Thanks, BlackKaos! That's cool. I know you can get the masks online but I'm more interested in building it myself. There's just something more satisfying about it. I'm working to make mine as accurate as I can get it too. :)

VilleLeskinen: I like it, though it can get a bit gooey if you add too much water to it. It's really easy to sculpt, and to keep it moist I just hit it now and then with a spray bottle containing water and a tiny bit of bleach. The bleach keeps mold from forming on the clay. I've read that happens but have yet to have it happen, probably because of the water bleach combo. :)

After almost a week of waiting, finally a new update! I've been working on this when time permits between work and sleep and have finally got it to what I believe is a finished state. Maybe it's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it turned out to the point that I've shellacked the clay sculpt with 2 coats now and I'm just waiting for the second to dry before I begin applying the latex mold to it.

101_1728a.jpg101_1729a.jpg

Last edited:

I won't be surprised if there are some tiny little air pockets I'll need to sand out and fill in when the final product is cast, but that shouldn't be that big of a problem for me to fix.

I shellacked the clay with 2 coats and let it dry. Then I used the 200 release on the clay. I sprayed it lightly from about 12 inches or so for the first coat and then used a soft brush to spread it around the surface. Not long after I applied a second coat of the mold release and let it dry for 5 minutes as per the instructions.

Then I began applying the first layer of latex. I watered it down just a bit to start but then went a bit thicker with the latex. The second coat was laid on much thicker but still thin enough that most of it was clear after it dried. I'm going to let it dry over night now as there spots for the eyes and mouth vents are pretty thick and will need a lot of time to dry.

This page has some tips too. http://paleo.cc/casting/latex-sum.htm

In the tutorial it says to separate the latex mold from the sculpt and place it back onto it before making the mother mold. That never made sense to me and the user pitchforknumb confirmed that it shouldn't be done that way over in the sculpting forums. So I'm not doing that and you shouldn't either. It won't let the latex mold sit properly onto the sculpt when applying the plaster mothermold. Leaving it on and doing the mold allows for it to keep a solid close shape while the mother mold is made.
This is my first attempt ever at doing this, so as I learn, so can you :D
Some more pics.
caststeps2.jpg

I'm now already on my 6th coat of latex over it. I was going to try alginate but decided to go with latex instead.

If you want to see some of my other costumes too, I have a Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/creativeguycostuming

Last edited:

Thank you, JWMines! :)

I built up the mother mold over the latex mold for the Casey Jones mask. I just need to let it dry and then I'll take up the whole thing from the sculpt and cast the final mask. :Dmmold.jpg

Well, here it is, finally! The first pull off of the Casey Jones mask mold. This is the first time I've ever sculpted molded and cast something like this! Even though the final result isn't as perfect as I'd like, it is pretty excellent for my first time doing this. I'm going to cast another from the mold later, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. There are a lot of little indents here and there on it that need to be filled in, and there are spots where the plastic is a bit thin and needs to be built up, sanded and filed, but other than that I'm VERY happy with how it turned out. I just need to get straps for this mask and the other I plan to make.

moldsculptfinal.jpg

It's not perfect,but I made it from start to finish and it gives me a HUGE feeling of satisfaction, more so than if I had just bought one somewhere. Not being elitist, just being honest.

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones. 1st cast of MASK complete.

Cleaned it up just a bit and reshaped it some with a heat gun to make it more symmetrical. :) Not the final, but just a test. Need to get straps for it. For this picture it's just on my head with strings. Also still needs the mouth areas filed out a bit more and the area inside the eyes needs done too.
102_1773.jpg

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones. 1st cast of MASK completed!

Well, I had to toss out the clay sculpt as I left the latex mold on top of it for two days. BAD MOVE. Mold grew on the clay and on the latex mold from it being left like that. Moisture built up inside the mold and well, actual real mold did too. UGH. Gross! I forgot to take the thing off. Shouldn't have really put it back on to begin with but it is what it is. Now I only have the 1 mask I made. I plan to shape it and improve it and make another mold from it possibly. I might just leave it alone and only have the one mask. I don't really need more than just the one. Right now I'm still sanding and filling in parts of the mask to make it more accurate and improve areas that have some small pin holes from air bubbles forming when I cast it.

101_1779.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: (1990) Casey Jones. 1st cast of MASK completed!

After a long lull in progress I've started working on this costume again. I got a bit discouraged after the mask didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but looking at screencaptures of the real deal and comparing it to my mask I've managed to spot the areas that have room for improvement. First off the chin was a bit too long under the mouth area. I've already chopped about a 1/4th of an inch off the bottom of the mask and it looks much more in proportion already. The long face always bothered me so I finally went for it.

I've also taken a sharpie to the mask and marked off areas that need to be either cut away or filled in.

The eyes need to be expanded and cut out further. The v of the forehead needs to be more angled and end lower as well. The underside of the dark lines is going to be the new edge. I'm going to build the V up with JB waterweld. The stuff is like putty filled with magic!

Here is a current photo of the mask. Much more to come!

You can see I've already started to remove some more of the area around the eye on the right side, the masks left.
DSC_0626sm.jpg

Excellent work! Thanks for not giving up on this! If this is the only one you have I recommend making a mold of it so you have back ups. Keep up the excellent work! Your attention to detail is inspiring!

Thank you, Grimwood. I really appreciate that! This is my first time having sculpted and molded anything and although it didn't turn out as perfectly out of the mold that I would have liked I'm going to keep on going. I think I will eventually make a mold of this. I originally intended to make multiple casts but that fell apart when my mold ended up with mold on it. The good thing is that I didn't waste time casting multiples of an really inaccurate first sculpt. Once I'm finished with this I think I might make a mold and the cast several others. :) Thank you for your interest!

http://www.facebook.com/creativeguycostuming

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back